Last Minute Birthday Trip and our First Trip to WDW together- It's Finally Booked!

Mel*Pie

Mouseketeer
I am so excited to FINALLY be going on our first WDW trip together as a couple! And to be celebrating my Birthday at The Most Magical Place on Earth- well, that's just... MAGICAL! So cheesy, I know. I can't help myself.

I'm not sure if I am posting this in the right place. If not, someone please let me know!

Going on this trip will be myself (Melissa) and my wonderful boyfriend, Joe.

This is the two of us at Tokyo DisneySea in 2012!

IMGP8192 by Melissa.B., on Flickr

The dates are March 5-8, 2013.

We will be staying on Disney property for the first time and adding the Dining Plan. We have been talking about it since January and we finally booked our package last night!

Here are our plans so far:

Saturday, March 2- Monday, March 4 we will be visiting family in the Orlando area and staying with them.

Tuesday, March 5-
Check into our Disney hotel! :banana:
Head to Hollywood Studios.
Lunch- *Need Counter Service Suggestions!*
Dinner- We can't decide whether to go to Yachtsman Steakhouse (8:35 pm) or Narcoossee's (9:15 pm) and watch Wishes from the boat dock there prior to our dinner reservations. Any suggestions?? :confused3

Wednesday, March 6-
Magic Kingdom
Lunch- Be Our Guest
Dinner- The Plaza
Wishes @ 8 pm
Main Street Electrical Parade @ 9 pm

Thursday, March 7-
Epcot- Flower & Garden Festival
Lunch- *Need Counter Service Suggestions!*
Dinner- Coral Reef 7:45 pm
IllumiNations- *Need Suggestions for Viewing Locations!*

Friday, March 8- OPEN!
We might head to Animal Kingdom or Downtown Disney or just hang out by the pool and relax this day before driving home.

That's it!

I would love suggestions on the dining above as well as anything else that we should do while we are there. Maybe something romantic? Maybe anything special going on for the Flower & Garden Festival?

I really want to make the most of our short time there. Especially since it is our first trip there together. We went to Tokyo Disneyland and Tokyo DisneySea last year while we were in Japan for 3 months but that was a whole other adventure!

Thanks for reading, everyone! I am looking forward to opinions and suggestions! :cheer2:

Since your already watching wishes the next night, i think you should totally go see fantasmic! It is sooo romantic. Do your ts for lunch and then cs for dinner and eat while waiting for the show to start!

Which hotel are you staying at?

And What day is your birthday...? Make sure you tell your hotel you are celebrating so they give you a super cute pin to wear!

For CS @ epcot I love eating in the world showcase, I normally end up in Mexico, (margarita bar and tacos :))

I will be leaving the day you are checking in. :sad1: for me but :cool1: for you!

Where are you staying? You didn't mention that in your post. I'm at All Star Music but will be leaving very early on the 5th as my flight is at 11:30 am.

Counter Service is hard in HS, there is just not a place that stands out as being really good. I usually end up at Studio Catering Company which is towards the back of the park near the Backlot Tour.

I've never eaten at Yachtman's or Narcoossee's so I can't help you there.

As for Epcot CS, I usually end up at one of two places, the Sunshine Seasons food court or Yorkshire Country Fish Shop in UK. Sunshine Seasons has a great variety of food and has some unique items for a CS. The Fish Shop only has Fish and Chips but they are so good! And the sugar cookies for dessert, yum. I don't even really like sugar cookies but theirs are so good I ate all of mine and half of my Mom's when we were there in November.

For viewing IllumiNations, I think one of the best spots is straight ahead whenyou cross over the bridge from Future World to World Showcase. It's kind of inbetween Mexico and Canada. There are two gift stores there also.

Since your already watching wishes the next night, i think you should totally go see fantasmic! It is sooo romantic. Do your ts for lunch and then cs for dinner and eat while waiting for the show to start!

Which hotel are you staying at?

And What day is your birthday...? Make sure you tell your hotel you are celebrating so they give you a super cute pin to wear!

For CS @ epcot I love eating in the world showcase, I normally end up in Mexico, (margarita bar and tacos :))

Okay, I am adding Fantasmic to the plans. I don't know why I initially left it out. I've never seen it! I'd definitely rather eat TS at HS (MGM!) but since we are on the dining plan, I want to get the most out of our TS credits and go to a Signature Restaurant at night. It's 2 credits but we'll compensate by paying out of pocket at The Plaza the next day at Magic Kingdom. My reasoning is that since HS is only open until 7pm, that gives us time to have a dinner at a resort that night. While MK is open 'till 10pm the next night, to maximize our time, we will eat dinner inside the park. I think it's the best bang-for-the-credit deal. We'll be able to eat at restaurants that are sort of beyond our means. I plan too much! My BF says I am over-thinking things. :rotfl:

We are staying at Pop. I've never stayed on Disney property. I've stayed at the Downtown Disney area hotels in the past. So, this is my first time on Disney property and taking advantage of the Dining plan.

I had them note the Birthday on the hotel reservation and all the dining reservations. princess:

Margaritas and Tacos sounds like my kinda deal! :cool1:

I can't wait! We should meet up for a ride. One with a longer line so the time goes by more quickly! :banana:

I will be leaving the day you are checking in. :sad1: for me but :cool1: for you!

Where are you staying? You didn't mention that in your post. I'm at All Star Music but will be leaving very early on the 5th as my flight is at 11:30 am.

Counter Service is hard in HS, there is just not a place that stands out as being really good. I usually end up at Studio Catering Company which is towards the back of the park near the Backlot Tour.

I've never eaten at Yachtman's or Narcoossee's so I can't help you there.

As for Epcot CS, I usually end up at one of two places, the Sunshine Seasons food court or Yorkshire Country Fish Shop in UK. Sunshine Seasons has a great variety of food and has some unique items for a CS. The Fish Shop only has Fish and Chips but they are so good! And the sugar cookies for dessert, yum. I don't even really like sugar cookies but theirs are so good I ate all of mine and half of my Mom's when we were there in November.

For viewing IllumiNations, I think one of the best spots is straight ahead whenyou cross over the bridge from Future World to World Showcase. It's kind of inbetween Mexico and Canada. There are two gift stores there also.

Too bad we'll miss each other by one day! We are staying at Pop Century. We will be driving in from my Aunt's house, about 45 minutes from Disney. Hopefully, I can get there early enough and check-in is quick enough that I can make it to HS for rope drop. I am chronically late everywhere so we'll see! :rotfl2:

Thank you for all your CS suggestions! At HS, it's hard to decide because I hear so much about how their CS restaurants aren't good... Then at Epcot it's hard to decide because there are so many options! :rotfl:

That's a perfect spot for IllumiNations for us logistically because we will be coming from dinner at Coral Reef. It's on the way so it will minimize walking and hopefully we will get a good spot! :yay:

Thanks for all your suggestions!

I am so excited! :cheer2:

Okay so, like Brandi, I'll share some of the things I've purchased for the trip. :p

These shoes are so comfy! And they don't look like Crocs, right?

chestnutstucco_ww by Melissa.B., on Flickr

New sneakers

11246346 by Melissa.B., on Flickr

And we went to see Wicked last week so I got this! I LOVE this shirt. And it happens to go really well with the Adidas sneakers above. :cool1:

WICKED-TWOWITCHES-LAR by Melissa.B., on Flickr

That's it for now! Tomorrow I am going shopping for bermuda shorts or capris. :yay:

Thanks for reading!

I've never done a trip report or pre-trip report before. If anyone is reading, what else should I post here about? I actually feel pretty silly thinking that anyone would want to read anything about my trip :worried:

Most people have so many interesting things to say in the planning process! I'm not very good at this
:blush:

I'm stuck!

Has anyone stayed at Pop Century before? I don't know what location I should request a room in. It seems like a huge property on the map. I'd like to be close to parking, since we will have our car and might be driving to the parks if it saves time over the busses. I don't know whether I should do my online check-in now or wait until it's closer.

Also, I don't know if there is something I need to do to increase my chances of getting a King bed.

I've never stayed on property before so I am kind of worried that Pop Century is just going to be like a motel room. A highly themed motel. :(

I am also worried that we'll be missing out on dining. Since this was a last minute trip (two weeks notice) a lot of the popular ADRs were unavailable. CRT or Crystal Palace for breakfast before park opening, BOG for dinner, Narcoossee's during Wishes, California Grill is CLOSED. :confused:

I am making myself crazy :crazy2:

I stayed at pop 4 years ago, we stayed right by the flower pool, I forget what number, I loved it. I would wait to check in because if you do online check in you will not be able to request a room! I already let ASM know i want a king bed. (but secretly i would be okay with doubles, I love an empty bed!) The hotel room is just like a motel, but the themeing makes you think of Disney, the pools are great, and you will never want to stay off property again!

You could always call when it is closer to see if anyone has canceled?

Hope everything works out!

I'm stuck!

Has anyone stayed at Pop Century before? I don't know what location I should request a room in. It seems like a huge property on the map. I'd like to be close to parking, since we will have our car and might be driving to the parks if it saves time over the busses. I don't know whether I should do my online check-in now or wait until it's closer.

Also, I don't know if there is something I need to do to increase my chances of getting a King bed.

I've never stayed on property before so I am kind of worried that Pop Century is just going to be like a motel room. A highly themed motel. :(

I am also worried that we'll be missing out on dining. Since this was a last minute trip (two weeks notice) a lot of the popular ADRs were unavailable. CRT or Crystal Palace for breakfast before park opening, BOG for dinner, Narcoossee's during Wishes, California Grill is CLOSED. :confused:

I am making myself crazy :crazy2:

Its been a few years since I stayed at Pop (2010) but I will do my best to help out. We stayed in what I believe, but don't quote me, was the 90s building? All I remember was that there was a GIANT laptop. Our building was next to the parking lot and if you cut across the parking lot you were right at the bus stops and the check in area with food court.

We checked in somewhat early, around 3 PM and were given a King room, no problems. I think the earlier you arrive, the better the chance, but thats just my personal experience with hotels. Make sure reservations has that noted on your reservation. Actually, I'm not sure if it even matters. But, it can't hurt.

Pop was very nice, and had recently been renovated when we stayed there. It is not as themed as other resorts, but if it makes you feel better, we stayed at Coronado Springs on our second trip and the whole time I was wishing we were back at Pop! The buses are so much better, and honestly, you're just there to sleep. Save the money and stay at Pop, you will love it!

And keep checking for your ADRs. Even try calling the day of or the day before. With most of the places you mentioned requiring a credit card to secure a reservation, many people will cancel the day before if their plans change to avoid a penalty fee. But keep checking online before you leave to, I found a lot of ADRs I had been stalking in the 2 weeks before we left on both trips!

I hope this helps! And just remember to relax! You're on the home stretch and its almost Disney time!!

I stayed at pop 4 years ago, we stayed right by the flower pool, I forget what number, I loved it. I would wait to check in because if you do online check in you will not be able to request a room! I already let ASM know i want a king bed. (but secretly i would be okay with doubles, I love an empty bed!) The hotel room is just like a motel, but the themeing makes you think of Disney, the pools are great, and you will never want to stay off property again!

You could always call when it is closer to see if anyone has canceled?

Hope everything works out!

Thanks for the reassurance! I do feel better about it all than I did this afternoon. :)

Its been a few years since I stayed at Pop (2010) but I will do my best to help out. We stayed in what I believe, but don't quote me, was the 90s building? All I remember was that there was a GIANT laptop. Our building was next to the parking lot and if you cut across the parking lot you were right at the bus stops and the check in area with food court.

We checked in somewhat early, around 3 PM and were given a King room, no problems. I think the earlier you arrive, the better the chance, but thats just my personal experience with hotels. Make sure reservations has that noted on your reservation. Actually, I'm not sure if it even matters. But, it can't hurt.

Pop was very nice, and had recently been renovated when we stayed there. It is not as themed as other resorts, but if it makes you feel better, we stayed at Coronado Springs on our second trip and the whole time I was wishing we were back at Pop! The buses are so much better, and honestly, you're just there to sleep. Save the money and stay at Pop, you will love it!

And keep checking for your ADRs. Even try calling the day of or the day before. With most of the places you mentioned requiring a credit card to secure a reservation, many people will cancel the day before if their plans change to avoid a penalty fee. But keep checking online before you leave to, I found a lot of ADRs I had been stalking in the 2 weeks before we left on both trips!

I hope this helps! And just remember to relax! You're on the home stretch and its almost Disney time!!

This is actually very reassuring! Coronado Springs is actually where we initially considered staying and then we settled on Pop to save money. And you just reminded me of why! We're only there for a few days and will only be in our room to sleep.

I'll definitely keep checking back on the ADRs.

Thanks again!
:goodvibes

I've read many popular trip reports, and like you was inspired to write my own. Now I'm feeling very alone and silly also. But I'm enjoying the writing process so, I'm going to continue. Hang in there, and your trip sounds amazing.
There's nothing like having a significant other that's just as Disney as obsessed as you! I couldn't imagine it being any other way. You two seem fun and adventurous! I like it! :thumbsup2
Also I'll recommend 50s Primetime is a great place to eat at while at HS. We've also had Sci-Fi because that is highly recommended, but we were not pleased with it. As far as, a QS recommendation at HS, sorry there isn't really any. Starring Rolls is good for a snack, and there's also a turkey leg cart. I recommend you head over to DTD and use a QS credit at Wolf Gang Puck Express, it's FANfreakinTASTIC! ::yes::

I've read many popular trip reports, and like you was inspired to write my own. Now I'm feeling very alone and silly also. But I'm enjoying the writing process so, I'm going to continue. Hang in there, and your trip sounds amazing.
There's nothing like having a significant other that's just as Disney as obsessed as you! I couldn't imagine it being any other way. You two seem fun and adventurous! I like it! :thumbsup2
Also I'll recommend 50s Primetime is a great place to eat at while at HS. We've also had Sci-Fi because that is highly recommended, but we were not pleased with it. As far as, a QS recommendation at HS, sorry there isn't really any. Starring Rolls is good for a snack, and there's also a turkey leg cart. I recommend you head over to DTD and use a QS credit at Wolf Gang Puck Express, it's FANfreakinTASTIC! ::yes::

Aww, thank you for the kind words! I will go find your trip report after I type up this response. I would love to hear about your plans! :goodvibes

My initial desire was to go to 50s or Sci-fi but since we're on the Dining Plan and already using 2 TS credits at Narcoossee's that night, we really should stick to QS. I guess we'll see!

Thanks again!!! :wave2:

So, a little bit on how this trip came about.

Originally, my boyfriend Joe and I wanted to go to WDW for my birthday all the way back in 2011. Some friends of ours had passes for the Universal parks and sort of convinced us to go there so that we could go on a trip together. It wasn't my first choice but I hadn't been to Universal in years and I liked the idea of going with our friends so we decided to do Universal. Disney would have to wait. We ended up getting passes for Universal because it was a better deal and went back for our Anniversary in June that year. Alone this time. Still no Disney.

For Christmas time, we made a trip to Arizona for two weeks to see Joe's family. Still no Disney.

By the beginning of 2012 when I would have been making plans to go to Disney for my birthday, we got news that Joe would be going to Tokyo, Japan for 6 months for his job! I would be making the trip to Tokyo to stay with him for 3 months. It was the opportunity of a lifetime. WDW would have to wait, of course, but we were going to Tokyo! I found myself planning an amazing trip to Japan with a few days at Tokyo Disney. It was magical.

That brings us to 2013. Originally, It looked like he wouldn't be able to take any time off of work for the first half of the year because of a big project so I tried not to think about Disney. Then, within the time span of two days, they cancelled the project, we got our tax returns, Joe got his bonus at work, and a Belated Birthday trip on two-weeks notice was born! I did a happy dance.
:cool1:

Next, how we decided where to stay and me scrambling for ADRs. :crazy2:

Love it! I wondered how you ended up in Tokyo. Very cool. We have a friend who work and lives in Singapore, and it's so neat to follow along on his FB and live vicariously through him. One day we'll make it to Asia, and not Asia at AK. Lol.

ADRs are easier at 180 days, yet I've actually enjoyed making them closer to my trip. Because I know the tasty goodness that Disney serves up is right around the corner. lol

Once we found out Joe's work project was cancelled, we immediately started brainstorming which days would be best to make the trip. That was a Friday night. I have family in Orlando so I wanted to make sure the dates worked for them as well. I also wanted to go before the Spring break crowd started. I started looking at the crowd calendar on undercovertourist.com and checked with my aunt and we figured that the best week we could go was March 2-9. Joe couldn't put in for his vacation time until he got back to work on Tuesday (it was a holiday weekend) so, I had to wait ALLLLL weekend to know whether it was approved. Meanwhile, I actually started making my ADRs before the hotel reservation!

My initial pick was to try for California Grill during Wishes so, you can imagine my disappointment to find out that it is closed until August!
:sad: So, then I checked Narcoossee's and all I could get was after Wishes. As a consolation, at least we'll be able to watch the Water Pageant. Truthfully, we still haven't really decided whether we'll eat there or Yachstman Steakhouse. :confused3

Anyway, then I tried for Crystal Palace or CRT for breakfast before park opening, even though I knew chances were slim. I couldn't get those, of course, but was told to try back a couple of days before to check for cancellations since a credit card is required to book those.

As for the hotel; originally, I was looking for hotels off-property in the Downtown Disney area to save money. They provide bus transportation to the parks and they say they have free parking, so that was important. The nightly rate is cheaper than the Disney Value hotels but then when you read the details, they charge $16 per night "resort fee" which is basically just for transportation! It's the same as the parking fee at the parks. The total cost ended up being about the same as a Disney Value hotel. Plus, staying on-property gave us the opportunity to add the Dining Plan. I ran the approximate numbers for what we would spend on food out of pocket and compared it to the Dining Plan. The Dining Plan technically wouldn't save us any money, BUT if we used the credits wisely, it would allow us to sort of "eat beyond our means." i.e. we would be able to order things like the filet and lobster at Narcoossee's. :p

I showed the hotel options to Joe (Pop Century and one of the Downtown Disney hotels) and, to my surprise, he actually suggested a Moderate! Now, neither of us has stayed on-property before so we started looking at the photos and reviews. We liked the Coronado Springs but for our dates, they only had the higher-end categories available. Plus, I brought up the point that we'd only be there for 3 nights/4 days and be in the parks most of the time. We wouldn't have time to take advantage of the resort in that short amount of time. Eventually, we settled on Pop and decided to stay at Coronado Springs when we can go for a longer trip.:)

That's about it for now! The HIGH temperatures for that week are in the low 60s to low 70s and I am so excited (and relieved) about that! It's been so hot here in Florida lately and the cool break is much needed. Especially for days walking around the parks! :cheer2:

5 days 'till we leave for Orlando and 8 days 'till Disney! :banana:

Love it! I wondered how you ended up in Tokyo. Very cool. We have a friend who work and lives in Singapore, and it's so neat to follow along on his FB and live vicariously through him. One day we'll make it to Asia, and not Asia at AK. Lol.

ADRs are easier at 180 days, yet I've actually enjoyed making them closer to my trip. Because I know the tasty goodness that Disney serves up is right around the corner. lol

I recommend anyone get to Tokyo Disney, if at all possible. The level of theming and attention to detail at Tokyo DisneySea is beyond anything I could have imagined!

I can almost taste the culinary goodness now!
:p

Only a week to go! I can't wait! I hope you take a lot of yummy food pics. As I have not personally experienced any of the signature restaurants, I'd love to see some good food porn. lol

Only a week to go! I can't wait! I hope you take a lot of yummy food pics. As I have not personally experienced any of the signature restaurants, I'd love to see some good food porn. lol

I definitely hope to be taking plenty of food pics! :)

Thanks for reading! :thanks:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter