• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

last minute flights? Update on dad

pocomom

Brr.....
My dad is in very serious condition in the hospital. I'm trying to fly down to SE Florida tomorrow from the NY/NJ/PA area, and all the flights are super expensive. I might be able to leave the oldest 2 kids with friends, but my son will have to come with me, so I would like to find reasonable tickets. Anyone have a good site to recommend for searching ? Is any particular airport/airline more likely to have a cheaper flight? Help is appreciated! I'm willing to leave from any area airport and land anywhere relatively close to Ft Meyers but I'm not finding anything reasonable.

My dad is in very serious condition in the hospital. I'm trying to fly down to SE Florida tomorrow from the NY/NJ/PA area, and all the flights are super expensive. I might be able to leave the oldest 2 kids with friends, but my son will have to come with me, so I would like to find reasonable tickets. Anyone have a good site to recommend for searching ? Is any particular airport/airline more likely to have a cheaper flight? Help is appreciated! I'm willing to leave from any area airport and land anywhere relatively close to Ft Meyers but I'm not finding anything reasonable.
Sorry about your Dad. :( Right now is the worst time to purchase plane tickets to FL because of Spring Break. You aren't going to find a reasonable price right now.

Sorry about your father's health issues.

I agree that you're going to be hard pressed to find 'cheap' flights right now. It's Spring Break time, and although we love flying in and out of RSW, it's an expensive airport. Tampa is ~2 hrs to the north, and Fort Lauderdale is ~2 hrs to the east.

I like to use www.kayak.com, as it gives you the option to select an airport, but then you can also check "include nearby". They also have an option to click to select flexible dates. Kayak does not have Southwest flights.

If you can wait until Friday, Spirit out of Atlantic City to Ft. Meyers is $43 each way (cheaper by $18 if you go to an airport and purchase the ticket there beforehand instead of online). So it ends up around $25pp. Non-stop.

It might be tough since Spring Break was mentioned, but also baseball spring training.

It might be counterintuitive, but the airlines would rather a seat go empty than sell it at a discount. They make way too much money off of last minute business travel. Sometimes it's easier to find cheaper last minute flights compared to years ago, but not always.

I couldn't find anything nonstop from EWR/LGA/JFK for under $350 one-way. Maybe a little bit less if you're willing to have one stop with a total time around 9 hours. Not sure anyone can really help you.

Thanks all, was hoping I was missing a trick or something. Deciding on driving or paying that much for a flight while I tie up lose ends.

google flights is an excellent way to check prices on flights. Quick check, using Philidelphia and NYC airports shows best price is leaving Sat...$171 roundtrip. Leaving tomorrow, the best price is $359.

Philadelphia has Frontier and Spirit that fly direct to Fort Myers. Spirit is not cheap, looks like $211 each way leaving on Saturday but Frontier has $69 flights each way leaving on Saturday. Southwest has flights for $167 each way.

Considering leaving so soon, I think those prices are very reasonable.

On the road, ended up quicker and cheaper by a lot.

Appreciate thoughts, prayers for my dad, mom . He is on a ventilator and they are putting in a feeding tube. Otherwise healthy active guy had his esophagus spontaneously tear. Lost huge amounts of blood and we almost lost him.
My poor mom is alone and scared. They have been married 50 years.
He's beaten cancer and a terrible motorcycle accident so I have faith he can beat this too.
Here's hoping traffic gods are with me.

I'm late to this, but I was going to say that you should drive. Not only will you get there sooner (than waiting a few days for a cheaper flight), but you will have the flexibility of having your own car to get to and from hospital when you want and need to and you can bring all your children to be there and I find that the most important.

Our prayers are with your family, it's a tough thing to go through.

Just wanted to update for those that read and shared a good thought or prayer-

My dad is great!
He had spontaneously tore his esophagus, and was in critical condition from the immense blood loss. They nearly lost him. (If anyone watched downtown abbey the scene of the dad at the table, was just like my dad, only it continued as they raced him to the emergency room)
Then he recovered a little, then got pneumonia, and it was really touch and go for a while there, they said he would need a permanent feeding tube and he was to weak to even stand anymore. Very hard to see this active strong guy suddenly unable to care for himself at all. Then all of a sudden he made a turn for the better and within a couple days they released him to recover at home. This past week he ate solid food for the first time and started exercising again! He is using his walker to prop up his golf clubs in the garage!

What a terrifying period for you and your family, but it sounds like your dad is a fighter! I hope that he continues to make progress!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter