• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Last minute help!!

disney-akj

DIS Veteran
My family of 7 will be visiting Disneyland for the first time June 10-13. I am a WDW vet, but I want advice on a few items at Disneyland that are new to me before I finalize our tickets!

I am trying to decide about the Max Pass vs the Photo Pass. The main advantage for the Max Pass, besides having the photos, is reserving fast passes it seems. My son has severe autism though and we plan on utilizing the guest assistance as needed, so I am not sure how often we will use fast passes (Sometimes we end up leaving unexpectedly, etc.)? Though the flexibility of doing it from our phone may be nice, but will cost us an additional $70 a day. I am thinking maybe just using paper fast passes paired with the guest assistance, and purchasing the photo pass might be more beneficial and economical for our group? Thoughts or opinions? I assume I can pre-purchase the Photo Pass prior to leaving-correct? We have two character meals booked so maybe the Photo Pass Plus plus one week might be better? Plus we will probably purchase our tickets through TLM travel club after reading reviews and advice, then we do not have to worry about purchasing MP daily. So unsure what to do!! What would you recommend? Help a mother out !!

Thanks in advance!

You can just purchase MaxPass for one person and get all of your photos that way. I believe this is less expensive than Photopass.

We have been debating Max Pass too, because our daughter also has severe autism.... Yay fellow autism family :) Nice to have you here!

We have decided to play it by ear. She won't need Max pass, for obvious reasons, and I'm the one who will stay with her while my son and husband do the big ticket stuff. If we are finding that my son and husband could use it than we might just get it for them.

We are coming from Canada though, and getting roaming for our phone costs a billion dollars, so if the wi fi isn't great than we are going to pass and just use regular fast pass.

MaxPass would be less expensive, but you would need to make sure to download all your photos each evening. I have a friend who bought MaxPass and when she went to download the photos later (the next day, I think), she was unable to do so because the MaxPass had expired.

MaxPass would be less expensive, but you would need to make sure to download all your photos each evening. I have a friend who bought MaxPass and when she went to download the photos later (the next day, I think), she was unable to do so because the MaxPass had expired.
This sounds dodgy to me. When we were there in December, we had MP and I was still able to download my pictures the full 45 days later. If she was logged into the account from which the MaxPass was purchased, she should have still been able to download the pictures days and even weeks later.

EDIT: Just checked my account. My pictures from December are still there nearly six months later, and still un-watermarked. Tell your friend to check again.

So you can add MaxPass to just one ticket? Do you have to do this at the gate or can you add it on the app? I thought it had to be the whole party?

Also does anyone know if I order tickets through LMT Club, can you print the tickets? Two people in our party will not have smart phones?

Yes you can add MP to just one ticket. You need to add it through the app after you enter the gate.

Tickets ordered through LMT are the same vouchers that you get direct from Disney. You can print the vouchers from the email and/or scan into your phone. Either way, you will be issued a paper ticket when you first enter the park. At that point you can use either the paper ticket or app.

This was not my experience. I was able to download the photos 45 days later (they sent me an email reminder that they would be expiring).

I agree on the photo expiration timing. PhotoPass through MP is subject to the same expiration as the legacy PhotoPass product. No need to rush to download.

This sounds dodgy to me. When we were there in December, we had MP and I was still able to download my pictures the full 45 days later. If she was logged into the account from which the MaxPass was purchased, she should have still been able to download the pictures days and even weeks later.

EDIT: Just checked my account. My pictures from December are still there nearly six months later, and still un-watermarked. Tell your friend to check again.

I will! Thanks!

Will your son be able to/want to ride any FP rides? MP only works for rides on the FP system, so if your son won't want to ride any of those rides, then MP won't be beneficial for him. On the other hand, if he does want to ride those rides (the DLR website has a list of all rides on the FP system -- and POTC should be added to the list when it returns from refurb in June), then one benefit we've found with MP is that it allows you to return the FPs you aren't going to use. We use DAS and MP together (the systems are separate so the return times can be held simultaneously). If we have to leave unexpectedly, we like being able to return the FPs on the MP system so that others can use them.
MP can be bought separately for each ticket, for each day. If you purchase after going through the turnstiles, you do not have to buy it for all tickets together. You would only have to buy it as needed for those in your group who want it on the days that they want it.

Thanks everyone for the information. My son loves all the rides. The challenge is always the lines. I appreciate all the good information.

Some more help: Have you read this thread yet: A DLR Guide for WDW Vets? A great source of helpful information!

Keep in mind that if you time things right, with the help of DAS and MP, your son might be able to do a favorite ride back to back. Since the systems are separate, he will be able to hold two separate return times for the same ride. With his DAS, he will be able to take up to 5 other guests with him. Since you have 7 people in your family, mention this when you apply for his DAS -- the CM should make an exception and note this on his DAS so that he will be able to include your entire family in his group. Then, if you coordinate a DAS time and a MP time for the same ride, he will get back to back rides (or, at least, two rides with a short wait in between). And, of course, this will work with paper FP, too. :)

Last edited:
You can buy MP Just for one person for pictures. You can buy it everyday or just some days. And you can buy it at the end of the day too. So lets say something happened that day and you're only in the parks for a few hours and didnt have any pictures done. You don't need to pay the money that day.

Also, if you find that you want to buy it one day for everyone and try it out you can do that too. It is ticket by ticket and day by day, so actually really flexible. We have a 2 year old and have to switch off. I have MP on my pass, so the last time we went I just paid for my other 2 kids to have MP and we could pull 3 FP on my phone and then rider swap for my husband to ride with the kids. Most of the time we just use paper FP. MP is super convenient, but not necessary.

So you can add MaxPass to just one ticket? Do you have to do this at the gate or can you add it on the app? I thought it had to be the whole party?

just so no one is confused by this: You only need to purchase max pass for the people that want to use it. If you are only using it for photos, just one person needs it. If you have people in your party, say an elderly person or a young child that will not be riding fast pass rides, they probably do not need it.

My family of 7 will be visiting Disneyland for the first time June 10-13. I am a WDW vet, but I want advice on a few items at Disneyland that are new to me before I finalize our tickets!

I am trying to decide about the Max Pass vs the Photo Pass. The main advantage for the Max Pass, besides having the photos, is reserving fast passes it seems. My son has severe autism though and we plan on utilizing the guest assistance as needed, so I am not sure how often we will use fast passes (Sometimes we end up leaving unexpectedly, etc.)? Though the flexibility of doing it from our phone may be nice, but will cost us an additional $70 a day. I am thinking maybe just using paper fast passes paired with the guest assistance, and purchasing the photo pass might be more beneficial and economical for our group? Thoughts or opinions? I assume I can pre-purchase the Photo Pass prior to leaving-correct? We have two character meals booked so maybe the Photo Pass Plus plus one week might be better? Plus we will probably purchase our tickets through TLM travel club after reading reviews and advice, then we do not have to worry about purchasing MP daily. So unsure what to do!! What would you recommend? Help a mother out !!

Thanks in advance!
I think you should just buy the Maxpass and bring your own camera (cell phones work too) enjoy your trip! :mickeyjum

ya mine were watermarked and only avalible for 2 weeks

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter