Last Minute, Overnight Trip Worth It?

sheilafri

DIS Veteran
I canceled my hotel for this week’s GofG AP Preview as it looks to be so hot. Just checked and my room is still available. Thinking of driving over (yep, it’s a long drive), going to MK for the Evening and Extended Hours, getting up early and going to Epcot through early afternoon for my AP Preview and heading back home. An evening and part day of heat seems so much more doable than a week in the heat. Am I crazy? It’s my last chance until at least October, if not winter.

Not crazy at all! What an awesome and spontaneous adventure, and I think that it could definitely be a memorable experience that you'll look back on for a long time.

I did the same thing with the Remy preview! I had been considering going since I had a preview reservation, but then Covid came to visit my family members. As soon as I knew my SIL was going to be okay & all my precious grandchildren were also well, I planned my trip in literally two days! And left in 2 days driving as well! It was crazy & spontaneous & I figured it was meant to be. It was a wonderful solo trip & I vote for you doing the same!

So I did it. I am exhausted but happy. Amazing that you can spend 6 hours in a car and still get in 17k steps at Disney.

I spent the first day at MK arriving perfectly on time for my 4:45 Jungle Cruise G+. I had stacked several rides for around this time so I had a flurry of activity until around 8:30. It was h-o-t! So I gravitated toward rides with covered lines, indoor shows and avoided long lines. The skies opened up around 9:30 just as I got on 7DMRR. I laughed so hard as I couldn’t believe I was doing something so stupid as riding this in a Florida downpour. I’ll never forget it as it was the highlight of the trip. I stayed for late hours and rode everything I really wanted to ride at least once even though their system wasn’t recognizing the reservation that I had linked so I had to show my mobile room key at every ride.

I got to hotel and bed around 2 am and set the timer for 6:59 to grab a Remy ILL for before I had to leave the next day. I set up my phone and MDE to the correct pages, forgetting that my ressie wasn’t registering, My third party reservation was not in the system so I missed out on that along with much-needed sleep. Went back to bed until 8:29 to try when the park opened. The times by then were all too late in the day so I didn’t get one.

I tried to get back to sleep but it wasn’t going to happen so got up, packed the car, got some breakfast and headed to HS. Rode ST a couple times, caught the Disney Short, and Frozen live show. I decided to try the trams to Epcot which took me maybe 1/2 hour park to park. It was pretty slick. Went on Soaring, Nemo, SE then it was time for my GotG preview. It is a slick building—very well thought out. Great visuals telling the history of Xandar and it’s relationship to Terra (Earth). As you move through the line there are museum-like exhibits setting up the story. You move into a pre-show room where they finish the set-up story and (spoiler omitted). Finally you board the ride. Disney has again created a new technology in rides. It is a roller coaster, but so much more. Maybe a roller coaster and a Scrambler had a baby? Glad I took my meclazine! It was fun, especially with Disco Inferno blasting through the speakers, but once was enough.

I decided to nab a Spice Road Table on my way out although I was feeling the pressure to leave. They couldn’t find my reservation and couldn’t use my confirmation text. So I waited. Then they wanted to seat me (party of one, you know) in a corner, by the silverware, next to the building, away from the water, out of the breeze although there were all of three tables occupied (no exaggeration here as it was 3 pm). No, thanks, can you put me at one of the empty tables by the water since every table by the water is empty? OK will have to wait to find out which table. Back to the entrance to wait. Can I set inside? OK. Wait again. Well, it will be 10 minutes. Yeah, no. I’m outta here. I was disappointed that they were that disorganized, understaffed or whatever. And that I wasted 20 minutes on their incompetence.

As I headed out, I saw a blue Guest Relations umbrella with no guests waiting. I decided to tell them about my hotel reservation getting kicked off and not being able to book Remy in hopes that they would get their IT stuff together (as if). What can I say? I’ve turned into my parents. Well, I got some Pixie Dust and a LL pass to Remy so that was my last ride of the trip. Thank you to Guest Relations for being nice and spreading the Pixie Dust.

So I did it. I am exhausted but happy. Amazing that you can spend 6 hours in a car and still get in 17k steps at Disney.

I spent the first day at MK arriving perfectly on time for my 4:45 Jungle Cruise G+. I had stacked several rides for around this time so I had a flurry of activity until around 8:30. It was h-o-t! So I gravitated toward rides with covered lines, indoor shows and avoided long lines. The skies opened up around 9:30 just as I got on 7DMRR. I laughed so hard as I couldn’t believe I was doing something so stupid as riding this in a Florida downpour. I’ll never forget it as it was the highlight of the trip. I stayed for late hours and rode everything I really wanted to ride at least once even though their system wasn’t recognizing the reservation that I had linked so I had to show my mobile room key at every ride.

I got to hotel and bed around 2 am and set the timer for 6:59 to grab a Remy ILL for before I had to leave the next day. I set up my phone and MDE to the correct pages, forgetting that my ressie wasn’t registering, My third party reservation was not in the system so I missed out on that along with much-needed sleep. Went back to bed until 8:29 to try when the park opened. The times by then were all too late in the day so I didn’t get one.

I tried to get back to sleep but it wasn’t going to happen so got up, packed the car, got some breakfast and headed to HS. Rode ST a couple times, caught the Disney Short, and Frozen live show. I decided to try the trams to Epcot which took me maybe 1/2 hour park to park. It was pretty slick. Went on Soaring, Nemo, SE then it was time for my GotG preview. It is a slick building—very well thought out. Great visuals telling the history of Xandar and it’s relationship to Terra (Earth). As you move through the line there are museum-like exhibits setting up the story. You move into a pre-show room where they finish the set-up story and (spoiler omitted). Finally you board the ride. Disney has again created a new technology in rides. It is a roller coaster, but so much more. Maybe a roller coaster and a Scrambler had a baby? Glad I took my meclazine! It was fun, especially with Disco Inferno blasting through the speakers, but once was enough.

I decided to nab a Spice Road Table on my way out although I was feeling the pressure to leave. They couldn’t find my reservation and couldn’t use my confirmation text. So I waited. Then they wanted to seat me (party of one, you know) in a corner, by the silverware, next to the building, away from the water, out of the breeze although there were all of three tables occupied (no exaggeration here as it was 3 pm). No, thanks, can you put me at one of the empty tables by the water since every table by the water is empty? OK will have to wait to find out which table. Back to the entrance to wait. Can I set inside? OK. Wait again. Well, it will be 10 minutes. Yeah, no. I’m outta here. I was disappointed that they were that disorganized, understaffed or whatever. And that I wasted 20 minutes on their incompetence.

As I headed out, I saw a blue Guest Relations umbrella with no guests waiting. I decided to tell them about my hotel reservation getting kicked off and not being able to book Remy in hopes that they would get their IT stuff together (as if). What can I say? I’ve turned into my parents. Well, I got some Pixie Dust and a LL pass to Remy so that was my last ride of the trip. Thank you to Guest Relations for being nice and spreading the Pixie Dust.
Awesome!!! I’m tired (in a good way) just reading this :) Glad you are happy and were able to make this happen!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter