Last Minute Tips

Funbobbi

Mouseketeer
Anyone have any last minute advice? Family trip to Disneyland on Dec.27 to Jan.4. We have never been at this time of year. I have heard it is very, very crowded.

::MickeyMo ::MinnieMo

Disneyland August 1989
Disneyland July 1994
Disneyworld April 1997
Disneyland May 2001
Disneyland December 2005

Arrive at the park at opening (Main Street in fact will open 30 minutes early if the official opening time is later than 8:00 a.m.). You can get a lot done in the early morning before the crowds arrive. I recommend Fantasyland first, those attractions do not have fastpass so better to get those done with minimal wait first thing. Eat at off times. If you do lunch at around 11:00 or later than say 1:30, you can avoid the busiest times of day. It will take much less time to eat if you don't have to wait in line for 45 minutes beforehand! SEE REMEMBER!!! It is the best fireworks display I have seen. It is best seen from the hub with a view of the castle and Matterhorn. If you don't manage to get a spot in time you can see it back by Its a Small World. It is less crowded back there but you miss the effects on the castle. If there are two showings of Fantasmic!, see the second one, it will be less crowded. If crowds at Disneyland are really bad, head to California Adventure, it is usually less crowded over there. If you ride Grizzly River Run, wear a slicker or one of those disposable ponchos (they can be purchased at the gift shop near the ride or you can buy them cheaper at Target), you get wet on that ride and this time of year that is not so fun. Utilize fastpass. There is a thread on this board by Hydroguy (I wish I knew how to link). If you put his name on the search, you can see his thread on fastpass. He has it down pat and it will help you tremendously! It looks like you haven't been to DL in a few years so things have changed. Understanding fastpass will make your visit way more enjoyable!

Have a wonderful trip, it will be crowded but the decorations will be lovely and the park hours extended so you should have time to get it all in!

Okay, I see the above poster mentioned hydroguy's post and does know how to link. I have also used Ridemax and found it helpful but Hydroguy is free!

I agree with the above post, go early, go early, so early. Also, spend some time planning when and where to eat, otherwise you wait till everyone is starving and then the lines are always long. Go back to the hotel in the middle of the day and take a break, even if it's only for an hour or two, you will be amazed at how much more energy you have into the evening.
Have a great time.

Here's one good advise: DO NOT go on New Year's Eve! It's a death wish, I'm telling you! In 2001, my sister got an annual passport from a friend and she wanted it activated on December 31. So, we went...and lived to tell about it. New Year's Eve was probably the WORST experience we've ever had. It was a major catastrophe. The crowds upon crowds, at one point, you don't walk, you shuffle. We got on about four attractions and the rest of our time was spent sitting at food tables to gawk at the huge mass of moving people. The only best part that we managed to stay for was the midnight fireworks. They were the most awesome display we had ever seen. The sky lit up like daylight. I couldn't ask for any better performance than that to ring in the new year.

And then, driving home, Mom almost got us all killed. She fell asleep at the wheel and we started to veer off the road. I was awake the whole time because I was eating a lollipop. To think if I didn't buy that lollipop, I'd be asleep in my seat and probably not be here telling this story. I shouted, "WAKE UP!" but we were already off the road and slamming into fields of dry grass. It was a real frightening experience. What a warm welcome into the new year, nearly dying!

We are going 12/23-28. We have made priority dining reservations for each day. Most if not all are character meals. This will ensure us of at least one good meal a day without waiting in long lines as well as meeting the characters without the long lines. Good Luck and Have Fun.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter