Last minute vacation ideas with teens

momoflizandains

love "the world"
it looks like we're going to take a last minute vacation (somewhere between jul 9 and jul 18). It will be myself and my two girls (14 & 17). Looking for ideas. We live in Virginia and have taken a few cruises, gone cross country, and of course, traveled to WDW numerous times. I'd rather not break the bank but would love any fun ideas. I've explored Las Vegas/Grand Canyon, San Francisco, Disneyland, Vermont road trip, but hoping for other fun ideas. Thanks in advance.

The Spa at the Hotel Hershey and Hershey Park...might not be the cheapest idea, but a very fun idea if your girls are into pampering...
NYC and Broadway...again, not the cheapest idea, but a very fun idea if your girls are into theater...
A beach (pretty much anywhere up or down the coast...although with the sharks in NC and FL, I'd head North this year to the Jersey shore:)...stay somewhere near a Boardwalk for double the fun...

Montreal?
Cape Cod?
Boston?
San Antonio?
Vancouver?
Chicago?
Myrtle Beach or Hilton Head
Charleston?

Can you tell I LOVE to travel?

HeatherC...thank you. I LOVE that you love to travel. Great ideas! My oldest doesn't really care for the beach (unless it's on an island). I'll explore these, but keep them coming.

I live in VA too and one of our favorite spots for lower-budget vacations is Gatlinburg, TN. There are son many different accomodations and activities that you can make it super cheap to super expensive.

Have you been to The Homestead, there in VA? It's a nice location for a long weekend in summer and winter (I can't imagine being there a week....but maybe people do). Sign up for emails, as they send out discounts quite often.

On our wish list....Glacier National Park; Monterrey California (for the aquarium) and the Redwoods.

Ok...here's a few more

Quebec
North Conway, NH...White Mountains...tons to do.
Lake George, NY
San Diego
Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg
Mackinac Island, MI
Bar Harbor and Acadia National Park in Maine...Gorgeous!

Have fun planning!

Check the cheaper airlines for direct flight deals out of you local airport. Baltimore has really developed their waterfront area and has a free loop bus to most of the attractions (museums, aquarium, etc.) and depending on where you are in VA a reasonable drive. Boston would also be a great choice-history, shopping, Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum, walking around Cambridge & Harvard Square.

I chatted with my DD17 about a short vacation this summer - her top choices were:

A show in New York (specifically the Music of Tim Burton with appearance by Danny Elfman)
A trip to Niagara Falls (Ontario side is a must)
A staycation with shorter trips (we live in PA)

What she opted for is in your neck of the woods - a day in Busch Gardens, a day in Water Country USA and we're spending Saturday at a Wizard World con in Richmond to meet one of the actors who played one of the hobbits in LOTRs. If they have a geeky side, these conventions are a blast, we've gone to several Wizard Worlds, Awesome Con in DC and a few horror conventions here and there.

My daughter has also been dying to go to the Hershey Spa, but she wants to wait until she is 18 because they have limited options for minors - and none of it is chocolate related (at least when I went a few years ago), which sort of defeats the purpose. For girls under 18 its more about manicures, pedicures and how to properly apply makeup.

I really like central Pennsylvania Hershey/Lancaster. If you have any interest in History a Charleston/Savanah road trip would be fun. We live in Charleston and can Make it to Richmond in about 7 hours so it's to too far.

What is about Islands? We vacation on Fripp Island which is 90ish minutes south of Charleston. Can't recommend it enough.

How about Yellowstone/Grand Tetons? You could find some airfare into Salt Lake City and drive to West Yellowstone for lodging. I don't think you will find anything in the park, plus the girls might like the more contemporary lodging in West Yellowstone. Getting there might be pricey, but Yellowstone/Grand Tetons is $25.00 for a week of exploring/hiking.

And I agree with the pp that said Gatlinburg. LOTS to do in that area.

I would say Washington DC, but I would imagine your kids probably have been there quite a bit on school trips.

Just thought I'd let everyone know that we ended up booking a 4 day cruise to the Bahamas. Thanks for all of the ideas...I have written them down and will definitely consider next time. We have been to Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg a few times with family. We are very interested in visiting Yellowstone again, and Charleston is on the "near future" list as well.

What cruise line? I must agree that at the ages of your girls cruises were my kids favorite things to do.

Royal Caribbean on the Enchantment of the Seas out of Port Canaveral. We'll drive down and stay at WDW for a couple of days (resort only) using our DVC points then board Monday morning. They are beyond excited.

HeatherC...thank you. I LOVE that you love to travel. Great ideas! My oldest doesn't really care for the beach (unless it's on an island). I'll explore these, but keep them coming.

Are you thinking no cruise because of finance? You may get a great last minute cruise on NCL, RCCL or CCL. If you like to cruise I would loom into these since your meals and entertainment for all will be covered.

Let us know what you end up doing.

Royal Caribbean on the Enchantment of the Seas out of Port Canaveral. We'll drive down and stay at WDW for a couple of days (resort only) using our DVC points then board Monday morning. They are beyond excited.

Oops just read your last post. Great minds and all that lol

Have fun!

The Enchantment is a great ship. You guys will have a blast! Royal Caribbean is our favorite line.

Have a wonderful trip?

We're going on the same cruise in August! My kids first time on a cruise. While at the beach today, my 7 yr old saw a small boat in the water and asked if that was about the size of the boat we'll be going on. :D So they have no clue...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter