• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Last time you went on a vacation to somehwere

Going someplace new is practically a requirement for us!

two weeks ago - Tampa/St. Pete/Clearwater
April 2015 - Atlanta
October 2014 - DCL cruise to Mexico and Jamaica
October 2013 - DCL cruise to Eastern Caribbean
March 2009 - DCL cruise to the Bahamas
June 2008 - Williamsburg/Virginia Beach

The only places we've been more than once are WDW and to visit friends/family....

Last year we went to Gatlinburg TN, and Hershey PA. This summer we are going to Ocean City MD. I'm hoping to get to Sedona AZ sometime next year, maybe for our very early spring break.
We take weekend trips to places we've never been a few times a year too.

August 2014 - a long weekend at Tybee Island, GA after we spent 2 days dealing with College Orientation for my son. For him it was very much worth it but for the rest of us it was pretty much a snooze fest so it was great to have a few days at a new to us beach.

South Dakota and Wyoming (Devil's Tower) last summer. California this summer (San Diego and L.A.)

April 2015 - Isla Mujeres, Mexico
September 2014 - Las Vegas, NV
April 2014 - Glenwood Springs, CO
May 2013 - Inside Passage, Alaska

Although our honeymoon will be our first trip to WDW together.

We vacation at least once a year and with the exception of SoCal and Cozumel, we've never repeated a place. Our most recent was a cruise that ported in Belize which we loved. It vibed very different than the other Caribbean locations we've visited. Our next was supposed to be an epic trip to Europe with a Med cruise but alas, I cancelled that today. It would have been my first time ever off the continent (where's our pout smilie??). We're now booked for Alaska instead and while we have never been there, It'll basically just like home except for the ocean.

Feb.....the Keys
DH wants to go back with his fishing gear-SO many people fishing off bridges everywhere!

May - we went on our first Disney Cruise.

Before that - December 2014 we went to Atlantis and May 2014 we went to Savannah.

We generally do try to hit new places when we travel.

Not sure I should really count it because we didn't get off the ship, but Nassau as part of a Disney Cruise last August. This summer will be Kauai as part of our Hawaii trip. We have been to The Big Island and Maui, but Kauai is a first.

Went to the Bahamas last October. Can't wait to go to Alaska next May.

I'm somewhat fortunate, in that I got a new job that allows me to travel more, particularly short weekend trips but also about one longer one per year (last year was the exception in that I didn't go somewhere new on my long trip), so from 2005-2012 I only went to one new place: Yosemite in 2008. But then ...

May 2012: Smithsonian Udvar-Hazy Center, Andrews AFB
December 2012: Dubai
June 2012: Alaska, Vancouver, Seattle
January 2013: Miami (BCS National Championship ... what a disappointment that game was)
March 2013: Mount Vernon
June 2013: Ecuador and the Galapagos
June 2013: Cradle of Aviation Museum
March 2014: Rochester/Eastman House
September 2014: US Submarine Force Museum (which is weird, because it's free and I've lived in CT for more than two decades)

Next up this year is South Africa in the fall (their spring), followed by a cruise of the Baltic next year.

Late Summer road trip to Travese City, Michigan and Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore and the Leelanau Peninsula. Tremendous beauty in that area. The dunes high above Lake Michigan are a national treasure as is Leland, Michigan.

It has been a few years but it was Philadelphia for a combined Halloween/history trip. We really enjoyed it.

My next cruise, I would love to do Alaska. What cruise line and what itinerary did you do? Any special excursions?

In August 2009, I went on Holland America's Zaandam round trip from Seattle. We visited Ketchikan, Juneau, Glacier Bay and Sitka. Glacier Bay is spectacular and I would choose an itinerary that includes it. No big excursions on this trip. I thought the service and food on HAL were excellent. I had an inside cabin and it was very nice and included a sofa, which is unusual for insides. HAL caters to an older crowd and I felt young at 58.

In June 2012, I went on the Golden Princess (again round trip from Seattle). This trip also included Glacier Bay, but this time we went to Skagway instead of Sitka. In Skagway, we took an eight hour excursion to the Yukon (passport required). We took a bus to the Yukon and the train back to Skagway. Fantastic! In Juneau, we took a bus to the Mendenhall Glacier. -- another must-see. Princess also does a nice job in Aiaska. The cabin on this ship wasn't as nice as on HAL, but entertainment was better and the other passengers were younger. I can recommend either cruise line for Aiaska.

We had better weather in late August than late June. However, you just never know in Alaska.

Hope this helps.

Several years ago to Washington, DC. We enjoyed it so much we've been back several times now and have really had a great time exploring all the areas there.

In August 2009, I went on Holland America's Zaandam round trip from Seattle. We visited Ketchikan, Juneau, Glacier Bay and Sitka. Glacier Bay is spectacular and I would choose an itinerary that includes it. No big excursions on this trip. I thought the service and food on HAL were excellent. I had an inside cabin and it was very nice and included a sofa, which is unusual for insides. HAL caters to an older crowd and I felt young at 58.

In June 2012, I went on the Golden Princess (again round trip from Seattle). This trip also included Glacier Bay, but this time we went to Skagway instead of Sitka. In Skagway, we took an eight hour excursion to the Yukon (passport required). We took a bus to the Yukon and the train back to Skagway. Fantastic! In Juneau, we took a bus to the Mendenhall Glacier. -- another must-see. Princess also does a nice job in Aiaska. The cabin on this ship wasn't as nice as on HAL, but entertainment was better and the other passengers were younger. I can recommend either cruise line for Aiaska.

We had better weather in late August than late June. However, you just never know in Alaska.

Hope this helps.

Thank you so, so much!!! I was thinking of sailing Princess. From what I hear, they are probably the top choice for Alaska. I am more of a Royal Caribbean cruiser, but am open to any line :) Also, I was thinking of doing the shoulder seasons to Alaska, either May or September. Also considering adding a cruisetour that would include Denali. I would love to see it, and don't know if I will ever get there again. Might as well do it while I am there :)

Thank you so, so much!!! I was thinking of sailing Princess. From what I hear, they are probably the top choice for Alaska. I am more of a Royal Caribbean cruiser, but am open to any line :) Also, I was thinking of doing the shoulder seasons to Alaska, either May or September. Also considering adding a cruisetour that would include Denali. I would love to see it, and don't know if I will ever get there again. Might as well do it while I am there :)
I just booked the Radiance of the Seas yesterday for August 14 (Southbound inside passage which includes Hubbard Glacier). The price for an inside guarantee was extremely favourable. There seems to be lots of availability for August and RCCL is doing a WOW sale right now. Star Princess does (basically) the same route and the price for August 1 is very low - around $400/pp CAD which would be even less in USD. I was torn between the two as I have sailed both lines and really like Princess but RCCL won the coin-toss. (They both also have a land tour add-on but I didn't look into prices on those.):boat:

You're welcome. When I was looking into cruises to Alaska, I found that Princess and Holland America really "own Alaska". They have been sailing to Alaska the longest and have the most permits for Glacier Bay. That is not to say that Royal Caribbean isn't a good choice. I am sure it would be fantastic, too! I really don't think you can make a mistake. Have fun planning!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter