Last Week's Dining Adventures

cd&kids

DIS Veteran
Just back from a wonderful week at Disney (Sat. 9/28 thru Sat. 10/4). Very cloudy, but we consider ourselves lucky...a major storm was stalled just to the south and brought tons of rain there for days....but fortunately, only a couple hours worth by the parks. Pretty light crowds....and Halloween party was very good! As for where we ate:

Sat: Our only disappointment. This was the one time it rained. Poured as we pulled into Epcot parking lot. We sat in the minivan for 15 minutes before we concluded that it was stupid to waste a park-hopper. So we ate off site. (Bad mistake...won't even say where we ate...don't want to get sued!) We had planned dinner at Garden Grill. Oh well....it's first on our list for next year! At least weather cleared up for a wonderful Illuminations cruise later that night.

Sun: Breakfast at Chef Mickey. A family tradition...a family favorite...terrific as always!
Dinner at my aunt's house in Deltona. Amazing. 91-years old and she makes us all a rib roast, green bean casserole, mashed potatoes, fresh rolls and German peach cake. If only characters were there, it would have been our single favorite dinner!

Mon: Breakfast at Crystal Palace. A first for us and we loved it. Better, in my opinion, than the Cindy's Castle breakfast we were fortunate enough to get last year. Loved the "eggs-and-omlettes-anyway-you-want-them" station. A little hectic, but, hey...you're about to enter the Magic Kingdom for a hectic day, so it gets you ready! Great characters, too.
Lunch at Columbia Harbour House. Another first....and again, we weren't disappointed. Everyone enjoyed what they had (me, wife, kids 14, 10 and 6.) My wife's sandwich (Starboard Deck) was the best...ham, tomatoes, broccoli slaw. My salad of pineapples and nuts and chicken was tasty....daughter's clam chowder was very good....as was our 6-year-old's fried chicken and fish!
Dinner....Liberty Tree. Another family favorite/tradition and again we loved it!

Tue: Quick bowl of cereal at our condo. Blizzard Beach. Dinner at Boma. First time...expected a great meal...got a great meal! Our waiter...Ali...was super! Prime rib was very good. Lots of exotic foods we loved...lots of "straightforward" food for kids as well. Even got a nice bottle of red wine for 29 bucks...not bad for over-priced Disney. (Sorry, Walt!)

Wed: Kona Cafe for breakfast. Enjoyable...but a slight disappointment. I waited for months to try the Tonga Toast...it was good....but, just as people on these boards warned me, it was very sweet! Also disappointed in the Kona Coffee. I love good coffee, but this didn't taste any different to me. Maybe it's the 100% French Press Pots that everyone raves about. All in all, pretty good.....but there are many other places I would try before coming back.
Lunch at Mama Melrose. We love this place....first time for lunch and we still loved it.
Dinner at LeCellier (yeah, we did some major park hopping that day!) Was very, very excited about trying this restaurant, and again, we were very happy. For months, I had been drooling over the filet mignon, but for some reason, the pork chops on the menu sounded too good to pass up. They were wonderful! (Molasses sweet, mashed potatoes...yum!) Luckily, my son got the filet mignon, so I got to taste it...and it was very good!

Thu: Breakfast & lunch in....dinner at Hoop Dee Doo! Hadn't done this since 1996 and it was as magical as ever. Great fried chicken....very good strawberry shortcake. As a beer lover, I was also very happy. Usually, "all-you-can-drink" beer places feature a watered-down, not-too-tasty tap beer. But as our waiter Dallas said when I asked what kind of beer they have "Bud Light...Bud Light...or Bud Light." I drank more than my fair share! At the end, after another request for a refill, Dallas brought out an enormous filled mug...put a straw in it and pointed it toward my mouth!
Show was great...performers great....even our "too-cool-for-everything" 14-year-old was laughing and said it was one of his favorite nights. Expensive...but well worth it.

Fri: Breakfast at Whispering Canyon. We love Wilderness Lodge so much we always pay a visit here, whether it's just to walk around and explore or to eat. Breakfast here was tasty...(I got the all-you-can-eat-skillet), but I don't know....all the noise gets to me. (For those of you who haven't been there, the waiters and waitresses bust chops here...loud...yelling..."picking on you" when you ask questions. All, obviously, in good Disney-family-style taste.) I guess I just love eating so much, I don't want those distractions...especially at breakfast when I'm just coming to life!
Dinner at 1900 Park Fair. We did this dinner last year and were kind of disappointed. The ONLY reason we booked it again was because it was the only restaurant we could get that tied in nicely with our Halloween Party tickets. Dinner was better this time...but I still give it only a "B" at best. Prime rib okay....strawberry soup was very good....vanilla bread pudding just okay. And the characters...Cinderella...Prince Charming...those mice! I dunno...not too appealing to me. Will be a long time before we go back.

But, all in all, another vacation that's absolutely memorable. There really is nothing like Disney. Will be glad to answer any questions....except for directions to my aunt's house...she needs a rest!

Wow! My mouth is watering. Thanks for the great reviews. I enjoyed reading them. I am glad to hear about Kona Cafe. I don't think we will be able to fit it in and I wanted the Tonga toast but it does not sound like I will miss anything. We too are going to LTT. Who were the characters? I have heard that Donald and Daisy are not always there. I was hoping they would be. Thanks for the great reviews. I am glad you had a good trip. Do you think Disney would hire your Aunt? The meal sounded great!!!!

Your aunt sounds special!princess:

Enjoyed your reviews. We love Mama Melrose for lunch. Of course we also don't consider it a trip to WDW without Tonga Toast. Did you try it plain? It is so very sweet though isn't it? But I would rather have something sweet in the am than any other time of the day.

Glad even your 14 year old loved HdD. It is fun isn't it!

What did you order at MM?

For sharing we are doing HDDR 12/7 and looking forward to that fried chicken.Thanks again for sharing your reviews.::yes:: :wave: pirate:

Tonga Toast was tasty...just a bit too much sugar with the cinnamon. I didn't think to ask for it plain...might have been better!
As for Liberty Tree, we had Minnie, Pluto and Chip and Dale. Not sure if they rotate Donald/Daisy in.
Actually, during our entire week trip, we saw Donald and Daisy only once in any park or restaurant...and separately. Donald was joined with Mickey dressed up in farmer outfits in Toontown the night of the Halloween party.
Daisy was one of about 6 different characters/pairs of characters (each with their own separate autograph line) at the very beginning of Main Street one afternoon.
As for Mama Melrose, BCV, I had the casesar salad and asked them to put in grilled chicken. Very good! I also got the minestrone soup...which one of us always orders. Wife/son got flatbread pizzas....two younger daughters ordered off kids menus. We had the big breakfast that morning and the LeCellier dinner planned for later that night, so we kept it kind of light!

Oops, by plain I meant without syrup!:blush: However ordering it without the coating at all might be tasty too!

I've never tried the minestrone soup at MM. I love their field greens salad and with the soup that would make a nice lunch. Hard to pass up a flatbread pizza though.:D

You write the type of reviews I love to read, direct and to the point, with good descriptions.

Thanks for sharing:
::MinnieMo
Carol

Loved your reviews!! They make December seem not that far away. I kept picturing your aunt and imagining how excited she must have been to fix dinner for your family. What wonderful memories. Thanks for sharing!

Pat

57 days and counting . . . again!

Enjoyed the reviews!! I can't wait to try Le Cellier on our next trip!!!

BCV....I DID have the Tonga Toast without syrup....still sweet! (But, very tasty....maybe needs to be a little less sugary and more "banana-ee!")
And slp87, I think you really will enjoy LeCellier. We were are now very high on this restaurant and would recommend it to everyone!

Thanks for the great review! For the most part, our family has similar thoughts on the restaurants, although I have never tried Park Fare! I've been hearing bad things about it! How was the Iluuminations Cruise?...would you recommend it? Did you have Breathless or a pontoon boat?

The Illuminations Cruise was fabulous! It was a pontoon boat. It was slightly different from what we expected. We had rented a pontoon boat once during a summer vacation in Vermont. The boat was almost like a square block (maybe like a short rectangle)...but it had an awning over the whole thing. I'm not a boat person...so I assumed all pontoon boats were like that!
The pontoon boat at Disney was more like a regular boat....long-shaped with no covered awning. I'm not saying it was bad...it's just I expected the same type we had before.
The cost was 120 dollars...and I believe it can hold 12 people. For our family, it was me, wife, three kids...14, 10 and 6...plus my 91-year-old aunt (the rib roast lady if you read the beginning of this thread!!!) and my cousin. That was a total of 7 people.
We had plenty of room....but during the trip I was thinking how 12 people would really be too crowded....you'd be sitting right next to someone with really no place else to move...and not much elbow room.
We had thought about asking another couple...or even a foursome to help defray the costs.....but in the long run, I'm glad we didn't. It was nice having the boat to ourselves.
We were also surprised in the trip. We thought it would be "get on board....sit down....go to Epcot....watch Illuminations....go back."
Our driver left early (sorry...it was only two weeks ago, but I forget the exact time...8...8:30??) And he drove us up the lagoon to the front of MGM near Tower of Terror....then around Boardwalk area....and then finally on to Epcot. It probably wasn't that long a trip mileage wise....but every one of us was surprised at what felt to us like a nice, long, leisurely tour by water!
Not quite sure if I'd drop 120-bucks to do it again...but absolutely no regrets that we did it this once!

Thanks! We are considering the pontoon boat for our next trip, but haven't decided either way!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter