Late 80's Polynesian Resort Question

robertallison007

Robert-in-TX
Did they have macaws in the lobby at check in? Does anyone remember this? I was a child when my father and I stayed there in the late 80"s and remember.... birds at check in area, and very large Mickey shaped waffle for breakfast as the things I remember the most about the resort. Can anyone help me with this please?

Did they have macaws in the lobby at check in? Does anyone remember this? I was a child when my father and I stayed there in the late 80"s and remember.... birds at check in area, and very large Mickey shaped waffle for breakfast as the things I remember the most about the resort. Can anyone help me with this please?

There used to be macaws in the lobby, yes. :)

They used to have a nightly Hawaiian Torch Lighting Ceremony at dusk...

I have early memory from the Contemporary. Our room was in the Wing that now is called BLT . It was the first room I ever stayed in that was so ”modern” that the air conditioner knew if we were in the room or not because of the auto setting and those new smoke and fire detectors...as kids we thought they were watching us in our rooms to see the extra guests we snuck in! And the bathrooms were “Jetsons Koolness” because they had a rounded silver metal curved ring around the bathroom sink and the shower door would open and curve closed .Kind of like we might be teleported to the future... that was early 70s...Haha
Today when I see the silver forest outside the BLT lobby where the trees are circled with metal rings to look futuristic, I am reminded of those early visits. I hope that is what the architects were striving for with those modern trees that came from outer space in my imagination.
And as the monorail glided past the destruction of that wing and the new modern BLT curved building took shape I was envisioning Wall-E inspiration.

Last edited:
They used to have a nightly Hawaiian Torch Lighting Ceremony at dusk...

I have early memory from the Contemporary. Our room was in the Wing that now is called BLT . It was the first room I ever stayed in that was so ”modern” that the air conditioner knew if we were in the room or not because of the auto setting and those new smoke and fire detectors...as kids we thought they were watching us in our rooms to see the extra guests we snuck in! And the bathrooms were “Jetsons Koolness” because they had a rounded silver metal curved ring around the bathroom sink and the shower door would open and curve closed .Kind of like we might be teleported to the future... that was early 70s...Haha
Today when I see the silver forest outside the BLT lobby where the trees are circled with metal rings to look futuristic, I am reminded of those early visits. I hope that is what the architects were striving for with those modern trees that came from outer space in my imagination.

Great story, sounds like great Disney memories.... I vaguely remember someone running around, lighting the torches.

You say "Jestsons" about the Contemporary.... I remember thinking I was "Duck Dodgers in the 24th and a half century", when I was on the monorail and it went through the hotel... It was truly amazing, and still is I think.

I was just watching the Looney Tunes Duck Dodgers.... I think you have altered my memories now for future visits.... and then I got sidetracked by Mr.Morrow (blogger) video showcasing The Great Escape Parkside Home ... a rental vacation retreat that is entirely Themed from Games and Games and Games . Going to have to plan to visit this house someday near WDW !!! Including a laser tag room and billiard shaped swim pool with lazy river border. It was funny because he kept saying Holey Moley , my newest and favoritist new night-time miniature golf game Show on Thursday nights! Disney ABC Channel

?Does Disney own Looney Tunes yet?

Last edited:
I remember the macaws! I love that the ducks are still there too. I remember having a ground floor room as a kid and the duck would come right up to the patio. They still do 41 years later!

They had them in the 70's as well.

This site has a good detail on the history of the Polynesian over the years. The link below is for the 1980's.

https://www.tikimanpages.com/poly/history/1980s
Dave

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter