Late June vs Late August- Any thoughts?

AstroBlasters

DIS Veteran
We are going to be getting a GV in 2025 and I am looking at the DVC point charts for late June vs late August.

Late June costs less points, but has anyone been at both times of year to know if the resort is significantly more crowded in June?

Mid/Late August is my go-to time for Aulani. I don't find it overly crowded. I considered late June, but it was difficult to book on the 7-month DVC mark, plus flights seemed to cost more in late June than in late August. I'm surprised late June is fewer points than late August because most American schools are on summer break in late June and back in school in late August, except for New England.

Mid/Late August is my go-to time for Aulani. I don't find it overly crowded. I considered late June, but it was difficult to book on the 7-month DVC mark, plus flights seemed to cost more in late June than in late August. I'm surprised late June is fewer points than late August because most American schools are on summer break in late June and back in school in late August, except for New England.
We went in August earlier this year. Aulani is one of my home resorts so I have the 11m window.

A week in August would be 1099 points and in late June it is 938 points.

Late June is one of the highest demand seasons at Aulani. It is typical for June at Aulani for the OV Grand Villa to be missing several days of any June week before 9 months, and by the 7 month window is is highly unusual to be able to book a full week, only scattered days.

The Standard View GV doesn't actually exist for booking, basically. (There seems to be 1 declared to association.)

You stand a much better chance of getting a week in a GV in August. June is cutthroat. This, of course, is assuming you don't own Aulani -- obviously odds are better if you're booking 11 months out.

Late June is one of the highest demand seasons at Aulani. It is typical for June at Aulani for the OV Grand Villa to be missing several days of any June week before 9 months, and by the 7 month window is is highly unusual to be able to book a full week, only scattered days.

The Standard View GV doesn't actually exist for booking, basically. (There seems to be 1 declared to association.)

You stand a much better chance of getting a week in a GV in August. June is cutthroat. This, of course, is assuming you don't own Aulani -- obviously odds are better if you're booking 11 months out.
I don’t have any issue booking it at the 11m mark.

I’m am looking for insights into if the resort is materially more crowded. I hypothesize that it’s fully booked either way and so that the only difference at Aulani is it will be harder to book because the point cost is lower.

However, if everything else on the Island is busier then it might be better just to hold off until late August…

We are going to be getting a GV in 2025 and I am looking at the DVC point charts for late June vs late August.

Late June costs less points, but has anyone been at both times of year to know if the resort is significantly more crowded in June?
No. We usually stay on the 4th of July week the last 3 years and it's practically the same each year. The only difference would be in Late August, Hawaii kids return to school so it wouldn't be too packed with locals but tourists should still be there! That's the only difference tbh. The weather is nice both windows so that's the main thing! =)

No. We usually stay on the 4th of July week the last 3 years and it's practically the same each year. The only difference would be in Late August, Hawaii kids return to school so it wouldn't be too packed with locals but tourists should still be there! That's the only difference tbh. The weather is nice both windows so that's the main thing! =)
That’s good insight about the locals being back in school. Thank you!

Interesting thread! Can I tag on? What are crowds like early June? Like the first 10 days of June? We usually go winter but in 2025 are looking at early June.

A lot of west coast schools are back in early-mid August. It will definitely be less crowded in August. The weather will probably be a bit hotter however.

Interesting thread! Can I tag on? What are crowds like early June? Like the first 10 days of June? We usually go winter but in 2025 are looking at early June.
Early June is a high season at Aulani and can be difficult to book at 7 months if that is what you're trying to do. Even OV 1BRs often have date holes y the 7 month booking date for early June.

Early June is a high season at Aulani and can be difficult to book at 7 months if that is what you're trying to do. Even OV 1BRs often have date holes y the 7 month booking date for early June.
We own, so 11 month booking for us. Was aware it was the high season, I was just curious if anyone had experience with the crowds the first two weeks of June.

That’s good insight about the locals being back in school. Thank you!
My pleasure! Usually during the summer, you don't see as much locals. During this past Fall Break (October), there were at least 50% locals, the most that I have ever seen in all of our stays! Other than that, whichever fits your schedule best would be awesome!

June is the only month we’ve gone to Aulani due to high school schedules, and it’s very busy! The only year it wasn’t as bad was June 2021 for obvious reasons… I would vote to stick with late August if you’re desiring lower crowds. As we head towards an empty nest very quickly, one of the things keeping me from heartbreak is thinking about booking some couples trips for September/other off season months. 😎😎

June is the only month we’ve gone to Aulani due to high school schedules, and it’s very busy! The only year it wasn’t as bad was June 2021 for obvious reasons… I would vote to stick with late August if you’re desiring lower crowds. As we head towards an empty nest very quickly, one of the things keeping me from heartbreak is thinking about booking some couples trips for September/other off season months. 😎😎
Would you say early June is better than later June or doesn’t matter? Ours get out of school late May or first school day of June so we’d likely leave the next day. Typically (like this year) we go in Jan/Feb and while crowded it’s not horribly crowded. But it’s getting harder to yank them all out of school for a week as they get older.

Would you say early June is better than later June or doesn’t matter? Ours get out of school late May or first school day of June so we’d likely leave the next day. Typically (like this year) we go in Jan/Feb and while crowded it’s not horribly crowded. But it’s getting harder to yank them all out of school for a week as they get older.

One year we went late May/early June which happened to also be over Memorial Day weekend. That particular weekend was nuts 😵‍💫😵‍💫, but the days leading up/after weren’t quite as bad as what we’ve seen mid-late June. We end up doing a lot of casabella/cabana days when we aren’t leaving the resort for hikes and other activities, to help combat the insanity of June! And yes, once my kids were older elementary and on, they understandably have not wanted to miss any school. It makes traveling rough now that we have high school and college schedules to coordinate. 🫣🙃

ETA; …and ooof, the days of the kids not wanting to leave for vacation immediately after school gets out, so they don’t miss end of year/graduation parties also complicates things! 😒😆

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter