Late night or early morning flight?

ilovefh

Is it Disney time yet?
We'll be flying back to NH in a few weeks and we're toying with our plans.

Originally we were flying out at 7am to Providence, about 2.5 hours from our destination. The plan was to drive to the airport (about 30 mins) and park off site and take the shuttle to the airport. This leaves us leaving the house around 4:30am.

We then started toying around with staying at the Hyatt right at MCO the night before. We'd still park off site because it's so much much cheaper. We thought it might be fun for DS to have a runway view room and maybe even swim in pool.

I always check to see if the price on our flights came down and I accidentally searched the day before. Turns out we can fly that night at 9:45 pm and save $24. It means we'll get in a 12:45 am and we'll have to take a shuttle to a nearby hotel for the night because we can't pick up the rental car until the following day. This hotel is significantly cheaper than the Hyatt.

DH liked this option so changed it. Now he is saying maybe it would be fun to stay at the Hyatt.

So what would you do?

Stay at the Hyatt the night before and fly out at 7am.

Fly out the night before at 9:45 and stay at a hotel near the airport in Providence. DH would then take the shuttle back to the airport in the morning to pick up the car.

I would take the early morning flight. Saving $24 is not worth the inconvenience of showing up at the hotel at 2am. Plus, the later in the day the flight is, the greater the possibility of delays and cancellation. Do you want to stay overnight in an airport with a toddler?

I'd stay at the Hyatt.

Seems like it's be a lot more relaxing than trying to check-in at the other hotel so late, then getting a few hours sleep and getting the car and driving another 2 1/2 hours.

Neither is a 'bad' option; the Hyatt one just sounds better.

Have a safe and fun trip! :)

I would take the early morning flight. Saving $24 is not worth the inconvenience of showing up at the hotel at 2am. Plus, the later in the day the flight is, the greater the possibility of delays and cancellation. Do you want to stay overnight in an airport with a toddler?

Good point. If there happened to be cancellation ee would just go home for the night.

I'd stay at the Hyatt.

Seems like it's be a lot more relaxing than trying to check-in at the other hotel so late, then getting a few hours sleep and getting the car and driving another 2 1/2 hours.

Neither is a 'bad' option; the Hyatt one just sounds better.

Have a safe and fun trip! :)
It does sound more relaxing, especially considering we just remembered DS has swim lessons that night until 6:05.

To switch back now would be a bit more expensive. We had booked at $111 and now it's $124. The flight the night before is $104.

If I was in your shoes and I had to do it all over again, I would stick with the original flight and NOT change it to the night before. I'd stay at a hotel by the airport so I wouldn't have to be out the door at 4:30 am with a toddler. I'd mostly do this because at that age, neither of my kids slept anywhere but in a bed. They absolutely would not sleep in the car, on a plane, etc. So it would have meant a miserable night for everyone involved.

The older I get, the more I go for convenient flights. Our next trip is a 10 am. 7 am flights are killers, takes two days to recover

If I was in your shoes and I had to do it all over again, I would stick with the original flight and NOT change it to the night before. I'd stay at a hotel by the airport so I wouldn't have to be out the door at 4:30 am with a toddler. I'd mostly do this because at that age, neither of my kids slept anywhere but in a bed. They absolutely would not sleep in the car, on a plane, etc. So it would have meant a miserable night for everyone involved.

DS, 5, thankfully has always slept anywhere and everywhere. That might be a side effect of growing up at Disney. He's also a great flyer!

DD, 7 months is also pretty good, but it's only her second flight!

I would take the early morning flight as it is less likely to be delayed. Delays can snowball and if a flight is delayed earlier in the day it can delay the next flight and so on.

I hav e a question and I can't find the answer anywhere...How do I make a new post with a question I have? sorry to ask here just hoping someone can help! thanks

I'm used to getting up at the butt crack of dawn everyday so early flights don't bother me at all. I would never take a late night flight to my destination..no way and especially wouldn't do it to save a measly $24. However, I would take a late flight home to maximize my last day on vacation

I hav e a question and I can't find the answer anywhere...How do I make a new post with a question I have? sorry to ask here just hoping someone can help! thanks

Go to the top of this page and click on "Community Board.

When the main Community Board comes up, there will be a dark blue "Start New Thread" button.

Click on that, fill in the Subject line, and ask your question in the main message area.

then click "Create Thread" at the bottom.

Hope that helps. :)

I see you have a child. How old is he? I would make the flight at the best possible time for the child, meaning when it will be least likely to affect his sleep, mood, etc.

I see you have a child. How old is he? I would make the flight at the best possible time for the child, meaning when it will be least likely to affect his sleep, mood, etc.

We have 2. DS is 5 and DD is 7 months.

If we take the late flight DS will definitely sleep on the plane. I'm not sure about DD since this is only her second flight. She sleeps everywhere pretty well since she is also being raised in theme parks, ha ha.

DS shouldn't have any trouble going back to sleep at the hotel and then he can sleep in, DD I'm not sure about because again, she hasn't had the chance to travel as often.

The morning flight, DS should fall asleep because it means he will be up earlier than normal. DD should sleep as well.

Thankfully I seem to have some pretty laid back kids so I think they'll be fine either way.

Honestly, I wouldn't have changed the flight in the first place. I'm a morning person, and saving $24 would not be enough to keep me up late at night! (We need a "sleepy smilie".)

Honestly, I wouldn't have changed the flight in the first place. I'm a morning person, and saving $24 would not be enough to keep me up late at night! (We need a "sleepy smilie".)

smiley-face-yawning.gif

In the summer time I *always* go with early morning flights. Too many summer flights in the afternoon and evening get delayed due to strong storms somewhere.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter