Latest on Reedy Creek, Tourism Board and Disney Developer Agreement

Status
Not open for further replies.

lyric_rains

Peoplemover fan
Just read Jackie Gailey’s 3/29 article outlining the latest on Reedy Creek. As far as I am understanding this, the implications are that some sort of developer agreement, created by Disney the night before the FL legislation approved the new tourism board, now absolves the new board’s power. Does anyone have any more information on this?

Just read Jackie Gailey’s 3/29 article outlining the latest on Reedy Creek. As far as I am understanding this, the implications are that some sort of developer agreement, created by Disney the night before the FL legislation approved the new tourism board, now absolves the new board’s power. Does anyone have any more information on this?
I"m curious too. I need this whole thing broken down for me.

The mods finally found that thread after over 1K posts, lol.
I was quietly reading but only got to page 12. Last night there were 64 pages. There were some very informative posts and some not so savory posts in the part I read. What I appreciated was seeing how completely misaligned many are and if you live in a vacuum you may be unaware of how others think and believe. That goes for all sides I think - just my opinion. There doesn't seem to be much middle ground. The vibe is my way or the highway or divided we may stand if we are lucky.

I'm a Disney lover but have no illusions about the company. I enjoy the product and have had many visits using my DVC. But today, if I hadn't bought into DVC 23 years ago, it would probably be a one and done deal due to cost. And I wouldn't be giving much thought to any of this.

My basic understanding (I’m not a lawyer), Disney came into a land development agreement with RCID that essentially keeps all of the existing land development regulations in place for the next 30 years. The new board cannot make changes to them, only has oversight of those regulations.

Additionally, anything that is built on what is defined as RCID property may not include anything associated with Disney IP, and has certain restrictions on what can and cannot be built and used. Disney is granted final say on the plans to ensure it matches with what has been previously built on what’s defined as RCID property. This declaration is in place in perpetuity, or 21 years after the passing of last living descendant of King Charles III.

A lot of focus has been on the King Charles clause but it’s just there as a safety net in case the in perpetuity doesn’t hold up in a court proceeding.

By all accounts currently these agreements were held properly and legally.

As a response the Florida AG is looking for any documents that may be used to justify any improprieties of these agreements for potential legal proceedings.

It's complicated. Ultimately, it is a legal issue for a court to decide. There are several legal theories that need to be examined, such as ultra vires and things of that nature to determine whether the actions of Disney are legal or not. Again, not for the DISBoards to decide, but a court. That's why courts exist. And, yes, I'm an attorney.

It was widely reported. CNN, NY Times, Orlando Sentinel....virtually all news sources.
Google is your friend. PP gave a good summary.

I think the perpetuity clause is some creative lawyer’s nod to their client’s imaginative whimsy. Why not tie it to a Californian princess…

It's complicated. Ultimately, it is a legal issue for a court to decide. There are several legal theories that need to be examined, such as ultra vires and things of that nature to determine whether the actions of Disney are legal or not. Again, not for the DISBoards to decide, but a court. That's why courts exist. And, yes, I'm an attorney.
It is and we're fully in the legal realm.

Based on that statement from the Governor's office the public narrative has now turned from Florida saying it wanted to level the playing field and eliminate Disney's "special" privileges to a personal attack by the Governor against The Walt Disney Corporation and the previous RCID board members.

Based on that statement from the Governor's office the public narrative has now turned from Florida saying it wanted to level the playing field and eliminate Disney's "special" privileges to a personal attack by the Governor against The Walt Disney Corporation and the previous RCID board members.

There have been several statements by the members of the new district’s board. I’ll just leave it at that.

The irony when you look at the new Board members. Please internet do your thing with this tidbit! :laughing:

A story: One day I got to work and the parking lots had been changed, making us park much further away. I was ticked off in a major (and irrational) way. I wanted to fight back against the decision and talked to my employee organization. And then I found out that there had been at least two emails and more than one meeting about it that I had ignored because BORRRRING. So at that point, I realized the joke was on me for not going to the meetings or reading the emails. I couldn't get mad when I had ignored chances to pay attention and participate in the discussion. I felt kind of like a moron, really, and that made me want to strike back. But I chose to get back to work rather than make it a pride issue at that point, but that's me. I'm not saying, I'm just saying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter