• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Latest time to leave to get around DC

Cshel85

Mouseketeer
We are in PA and driving to Disney. What would be the latest time we should leave on a Friday to miss traffic in DC? Also thinking of possibly doing 81 down not sure if that would help. We are an hour west of PHL

If you live out by Lancaster (as a point of reference) it's only about an hour longer going the I-81, 77, 26 to 95 route which isn't too bad, considering that hour could easily be eaten up by a delay in DC and even on 95 south of DC in VA. My suggestion would be to check Google Maps before you leave and see what DC traffic looks like. On a Friday I would say the earlier the better if you do go near DC and to be through there by 1p at the latest to be safe so you would want to leave around 11a.

Last edited:
I live in the DC area and traffic starts by 6am. I highly suggest 81 and cut east towards Richmond. That will connect you with 95.

Try to go through the DC area around 10am. That avoids morning rush, lunch rush, and evening rush. Good luck!

Have you thought about taking the auto train? The departure station is in Lorton, VA which is in the DC metro area.

I used to live near Westminster MD. We avoided DC altogether. We used 301. Slow through Waldorf and LaPlata but the rest was better than the beltway or 95. Not sure how far east in PA you are but 81 was just too far out of the way west for us. Pretty drive but not good for heading to 95. Depends on how far east your start point though.

Have you thought about taking the auto train? The departure station is in Lorton, VA which is in the DC metro area.
Have you (or anyone else) done this? We're considering this for a trip to FL this year at least one way since we don't live too far from Lorton.

Although, where traffic is concerned, Lorton is south of the Beltway, so still a consideration for the OP.
You have to clear Fredericksburg Virginia before Rushhour
I'll second this, this can be just as bad, if not worse, than DC.
We've found the stretch between the Quantico and Fredericksburg bad even at non-rush hours too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter