Latest "Would You Rather" - 150BW resale or 80 Riviera direct

BWV at $130pp - divide by 19 years remaining (assuming has all current & future points) equals $6.84.
RIV at $207pp (note above your $17K figure would be more than 80pts) - divide by 47 years remaining is $4.40pp.
BWV current dues are only 30 cents less than RIV current dues.
RIV Standard Studios (which have great fireworks views) cost almost the same as BWV Garden/Pool & BW View Studios. BWV BW View (amazzing views!) and Standard View Studios are a great value but can be difficult to get, even at the 11-month mark.
As much as we love BWV (& own a few contracts there), RIV is the better value (aside from being an incredibly stunning resort in its own right).

150 BWV for 20 years is a total of 3000 points over the life of the contract.
80 RIV points for 48 years is 3840 points in total.

However, the BWV points arrive earlier than the RIV points (so if I die in the meantime, I got more use out of it) and I prefer its location, so I would lean toward BWV. But if someone wants to gift me 80 RIV points I'll take them, thank you very much.

Since the contract expires in January of 2042, doesn't that mean we would have to use the points prior to January 31st of 2042? For example, I have an October use year. So when my BW points come on October 1, 2041 I should only have until Jan 31st 2042 to use them? If that's correct, it's less than 20 years....I try to take that into account. That's why, for us anyway, borrowing from next year never really bothered me :O)

Use em or lose em?

Dee

Because you mentioned resale, why not buy 125 RRV pts (probably find a resale at $150 pp). That would be in your budget, give you the 2070 expiration. You just have to committee to staying at RRV.

Since the contract expires in January of 2042, doesn't that mean we would have to use the points prior to January 31st of 2042? For example, I have an October use year. So when my BW points come on October 1, 2041 I should only have until Jan 31st 2042 to use them? If that's correct, it's less than 20 years....I try to take that into account. That's why, for us anyway, borrowing from next year never really bothered me :O)

Use em or lose em?

Dee

This is correct but one thing we do not know is if borrowing will be suspended those last few years.

Points go with inventory and there is no way to move forward points that don’t match the rooms.

Depends, you want to stay 4 nights a year or 12-14 nights a year? I'm surprised nobody brings this up much.
Exactly this. This is big for us. We want more nights. However, some don't have the opportunity to stay that many nights regardless of point values so perhaps that doesn't weigh as much in the decision.

More nights, means more for your money. I agree with needing more nights over less using more points. That said, we've chosen other resorts at the 7 month mark that take up alot more points. Not often, but in order to try other resorts, we do this sometimes. VGF is an example.

Dee

For us, it would be BWV. We own there and love being able to walk to 2 parks.
It really comes down to where do you want to stay, how often, what type of room and how many days.

That’s a hard one I own at both but have yet to stay in Rivera - our fixed week doesn’t happen until Oct 2023. We have stayed at BWV several times now and put my family there last New Year, they also loved it.

I would still give overall convenience factor to BWV And like previously mentioned the more points the better.
It’s great to have points for a longer period but where you have them enhances the vacation that much more.

I would buy RRV resale while the price is low. At $130 you can pick up the 150 points you want. The extra 28 years over BWV is worth a ton.
For a resale owner, the value of RRV will increase when people resale the original DVC locations and the "new" resale owner cannot book at RRV. You can easily find members out there that would trade you for their points and you can stay at other resorts. Or you can rent the RRV over the run weekends and just rent from another owner. Lots of ways to bypass the restrictions.

Have stayed numerous times and love both resorts but when the Skyliner is down (remember Florida weather), transportation is a pain. There is NOTHING like Boardwalk Crescent Lake area for convenience to get to 3 parks (MK by monorail out in front). Own at BCV and that area is unlike all the rest.

Plus your options for food at the 5 other resorts surrounding BWV PLUS Epcot and it's a no brainer for meals.

There is NOTHING like Boardwalk Crescent Lake area for convenience to get to 3 parks (MK by monorail out in front).
To clarify for those unfamiliar with WDW, the monorail to MK is out in front of Epcot, not in front of BW. To get to the monorail from the Crescent Lake area requires walking through Epcot from the IG to the front entrance, which therefore means having the requisite park admission and park reservation to enter Epcot.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter