Laundry Room donations

McMonsters

Mouseketeer
As DVC members our kids have grown up Disney and it is very obvious while trying to pack up 15 years of stuff for our move next month. Here’s my question….years ago before everything shutdown I often saw where people would leave things in the laundry room for other guests. We have brand new and barely loved dresses, plushies and other WDW paraphernalia and I‘m thinking of packing in a suitcase for other guests. I wouldn’t just dump everything but would leave small batches throughout our week. My kids even suggested we could pack some of the smaller plushes and pixie dust the kids in the parks. Is this too weird?

When I worked a fast food job in high school, one of the rules they enforced was don't sell to kids. The logic of that has always stuck with me. While I have no doubts that you have the best intentions for gifting small items, IMO it should be done in a way that doesn't put the parents on the spot. They may have very valid reasons for not wanting their children to have certain things.

At the resorts, again I think it's great to pass things along to other guests. But housekeeping has standing orders to dispose of any items left in public spaces. Some immediacy is required to make the handoff worthwhile. Social media is usually a great tool for this. There are Facebook groups for every Disney resort. I think you'd get the best response with a post that says something like "Have a size Youth Small Cinderella dress that we'd love to gift to someone. Staying at Riviera until (date), please contact me if interested."

As DVC members our kids have grown up Disney and it is very obvious while trying to pack up 15 years of stuff for our move next month. Here’s my question….years ago before everything shutdown I often saw where people would leave things in the laundry room for other guests. We have brand new and barely loved dresses, plushies and other WDW paraphernalia and I‘m thinking of packing in a suitcase for other guests. I wouldn’t just dump everything but would leave small batches throughout our week. My kids even suggested we could pack some of the smaller plushes and pixie dust the kids in the parks. Is this too weird?

As mentioned by PP there are Facebook groups for recycling items at Disney Resorts. Items I have seen listed- strollers, popcorn buckets, balloons, refillable mugs, water, food, slow cookers etc...
Once I saw a mom offer princess dresses her daughter had out grown.

Here is a small sample:
1692024499169.png

Old plushies aren't sanitary. Every thirift store in town is overrun with these dresses. Just donate the dresses now, for Halloweeen, and throw out the plushies.

Def don't do this at WDW, they will end up in the trash, maybe even with security called for weirdos leaving weird plushes.

Take some pictures and keep your memories. They aren't in these objects.

While I understand the intent, I kind of find it a bit weird IMHO. I would be very uncomfortable with someone approaching me in the parks/resort. I think a better route is posting on a freebie/share site. That way you can pre-arrange the drop off. Also share sites at home to pass on your "treasures". There are probably a lot of families who would be thankful.

Agree, donate it to Goodwill in your area. Don’t leave a bunch of stuff in the laundry room. A share site is also a great alternative.

I wanted to add that is so kind of you to think of others and include your children to donate their stuffies. From my perspective, if I saw these items in the laundry room I would assume someone forgot and left them. I would not think of them as gifted and would not let my kids take them. But if the toys and dresses are gently used and even new, by all means give to a friend or pass it along to a local charity thrift store. Kids at disney world are already spoiled enough as it is and their parents are probably buying them junk all week lol

Anytime we have extras of any item, be it food or clothing we prefer not to drag home with us, I offer it up to the housekeeping staff or bell services when leaving. We've never been turned down yet in over 20 years.

Donate them to a local charity or take them to a charity-sponsored thrift shop. That way children who probably can't afford to go to WDW can enjoy them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter