Laurie's "Grand HCG Experiment"

Veronica & Linda - again, thanks for bumping me up to a place where I could find my journal. It's been two killer weeks...

First off, my cold went from snotty and into my lungs big time; it's about cleared up now...however, now I'm just into the totally exhausted stage. Yep, it feels like mono except with stuffed up ears and puffy sinuses. Achy joints seem to be along for the ride too.

My weight's all over the place--it is the cold? or the lack of exercise? or water retention? I was hanging tough at 156-158 and then wham, overnight I was up to 161! then over last night up to 165! No, I'm sitting around eating bon bons. Today, it's been nothing but protein, salad and water. I plan to go back on the HCG Saturday, but I was really hoping to start where I left off and not 13 lbs heavier.

It has been a rough three weeks in the classroom; state testing prep--I believe my students were ready and most did well on their practice essay and reading test. Some just were AWOL the week prior and some didn't show up for testing. With passing reading & writing a state graduation requirement, you would think more parents would hold their end of the bargain and get the kids to school. But I had a few in each of my sophomore classes that simply didn't show up. No particular reason given when the students returned...All of my seniors followed through and put in their best efforts; the alternative assessment portfolios wouldn't be scored unless they tested. These were the ones I worried most about not showing up; I'm really proud of all of them.

Testing typically is much waiting and pleanty of time for students to get other work done, even though as teachers we are told to keep the work load light that week. My students had "To Kill a Mockingbird" in hand the Thursday prior to testing week with the Socratic Seminar directions and all the Discussion Questions in hand to get a jump on. Traditionally, in the five years I've been teaching this course, students really get into the seminars and are really competitive to take part. I've rarely had to follow through and deduct points for students who are not prepared to participate when their names are drawn (only 8 get to discuss in the inner circle--the rest listen, take notes, and evaluate in the outer circle). The first seminar for chapter 1 was last Friday--for the first time I had 3 Honors students who were not prepared and 5 regular students who were not ready to go. Today's seminar was to cover chapters 2-4--more than 2/3 the Honors class and 3/4 regular class were not prepared--only 6 students in Honors could participate and only 5 in the regular class. I gave quizzes over the chapters too at the urging of one of the other Honors teachers (she's seeing the same lack of work ethic in her sections and a real distaste for reading--any type of reading also). Despite the protests about "Oh I did the work, I just didn't bring it," the quiz scores showed that students hadn't read the chapters. I'm at a loss--if they won't prepare with the threat of 25 points deducted--not just earning 0 points, then I don't know what will work. If I have the same tomorrow. It will be four solid days of no talking, just reading while I call the parents of each student.

In addition, I had to send out a student from the Honors class on Friday--he was sitting and organizing papers during the Pledge and then swore at me when I asked him why he was planted in his seat. Down to the office I sent him. I've already had to deal with his father earlier this year--no change in the problem behaviors, if anything it escalated then ebbed for a while. Then first of this semester he was back to trying to be the center of the universe with additional 4-letter words. His father wants to meet with me and the Spanish teacher (funny she has issues with his too) 10 minutes prior to class on Wednesday. I'd welcome it, but I'm sure he's going to be as caustic in person as over the phone and there is no way the meeting will take 5 mintutes allowing me to get to class to greet students. Our administrators should know better.

Exercise--no walking at all, but we did spend 5 hours gardening on Saturday (it was 72 degrees!). Sunday was back to low 50s and rain and my back felt like it was being sawed in half. I got back out this evening for about 45 minutes and weeded above a low retaining wall so I wouldn't have to bend down so far. There is so much to do and I feel like the weeds would fit in well in Wonderland. If the weather cooperates, I will try to get out 45-60 minutes all this week and try and make a dent in it.

We had Evening Grosbeak fly in on Saturday sticking around just into Sunday and then flying off again. We usually only get a day or two with them spring and fall on their way to and from the mountains. They are so beautiful. Our Anna's hummingbirds must be nesting, because I've only heard males, and no females have been to the feeders. The Rufus haven't flown in yet. I've had to keep an eye on the cats when they are out on the patio that they don't go after the doves or the banded pigeons eating the corn that DH tosses out on the grass for them. We had four varities of woodpeckers this week and DH had a whole feeder full of pine siskens on him as he was trying to put it back up in it holder. They didn't wait until he hooked it up, but were eating off it while he was holding and walking with it. Each year we talk about registering for the backyard bird count and then forget about it...looks like we'd better put in a reminder.

Hi Laurie! I just found your thread, and honestly did not read all 248 days! I did read the entire first page and then skipped around a lot! You have come so far! I started hCG the day after Christmas, and started at 219 pounds. I currently weigh 186 (yay!) and that is with taking a month "break". What helpful hints would you have to share? I am in a rut of cheating (blasted Girl Scout cookies, ugh!). I was down to 182, but can't seem to get there again. Any words of wisdom to help a girl out?? TIA!

Welcome Tia! My biggest downfall in maintaining the loss is processed carbs, especially any wheat products--bread, crackers is all that I've tried to add back in and it puts my wheat up 2-5 lbs overnight. I seem to tolerate a little bit of rice - even white rice and yes, even a few french fries. But some homemade bread from the breadmaker last week was the end. Try to stay low carb--good fats are OK, like a little olive oil and avocados, but primarily I stay away from pre-mixed salad dressings and stick with the vinegars even on maintainance.

I'm down to 160 yesterday and today; it took sticking with salads for lunch most of the week and really watching what I had for an afternoon snack and dinner. Fluid retention seems to disapate by late afternoon, but I'm really bloated like a water balloon in the mornings. My stress load this week has also been heavy--drat that Honors class (not all students--there are six who have been doing their reading and discussion questions all along). I had to cancel Socratic Seminars for To Kill a Mockingbird this week in that class because only 6 out of 24 had done their outside reading and were prepared to participate. That meant that is was 4 solid work days after chapter quizzes and part I novel notes due prior to Spring Break (Friday). All but one turned them in and now the grading is part of my week off workload along with Entry 3 for Pro Cert. On the other hand, only 5 in my regular class have been unprepared to participate and the discussions have been great. Students are so excited to be part of the inner circle and share what they've discovered. Out of the five who haven't done the work, 2 are chronically absent and the other 3 are in perpetual study hall because they don't do their work in class or as homework. I wish I could reach all--you should hear the rest of the class putting on the pressure to get reading; and I can't get the others to put the book down--some are nearly through with it and I have to remind them to go back and review the chapters we're on prior to the quizzes. What a crazy mixed up world it is this year as far as class assignments.

I also found out this week that the honors class wasn't truly assigned at random like I had been told. Six students (yes the same six who are actually doing their work on schedule) had parents complain about the large class sizes in the two honors classes and instigated the new class being formed. They were immediately put on my class list. The others were selected by the other two teachers...then the three girls whose parents through fits were moved back. These students were turfed to me; my assistant administrated told me this after we met with the father of a boy I'd had to send down to the office for being disrespectful during the Pledge. Dad turned out to be ex-military and when I brought up the other incidents took my side. I had a great deal to say that was positive--this is one of the six who works hard academically, but works harder being the center of attention in a negative way. The behavior tended to be more focused toward the end of the week and I didn't have to re-focus him much Thursday or Friday. I did have to deal with several parents who were mad that their sons and daughters were having to stay up late to finish the part I discussion questions and novel notes; I let them know the novels and assignment packets went out on March 11--with explicit instructions to get ahead in the book prior to seminars beginning on March 19. "What you mean they didn't have to do this at the last minute--really?" Yep, the whole reason your daughter was up until 4am was because she was one of the reasons the seminars had to be cancelled on Tuesday...she wasn't ready...she and 23 others are skilled only at procrastination and no, honors classes do not accept late work across the board. Truly, I'm all for self-selection into Honors and AP classes, but once student decide they want to challenge themselves, then they need to get two teachers' signatures recommending them for the program. Same parents admitted to not reading the syllabus at the beginning of the year either, just signing the paperwork and sending it back.

I made my appointment with the HCG clinic for Monday afternoon and will be getting back on the hormone then. Two load days will be required because I've been off so long and I hope it was long enough to get rid of my immunity issue. Our Anniversary is next Friday--but DH can take me out Monday and Tuesday instead--we have an Olive Garden gift card and still cash on the Stanley and Seaforts card too. Hopefully I can take care of the pasta craving one day and the need for indulging in a decadent desert the next night.

We worked out in the yard for about 5 hours today--not getting enough done...my weeds make the flora in Jurasic Park look positively dinky. We did get the rest of the front bed cleared out--even grubbed out the Aspens that were taking over, half the raised veggie bed (again it was scary in weeds as I didn't grow anything in it last year), and edged the border and weeded the border along the boxwood hedge. There is still the other half of the raised bed and the border along the house next to veggie garden to tackle in the front side yard. However, the rain and wind is moving in again tonight and will last through Wednesday according to the forecast. I wanted to stay out longer tonight and do more, but my back just wouldn't let me. DH called it quits about 5:45 pm and made me come in. The edger we bought works great though--I love the crisp, clean edge it makes along the grass.

I'm not happy about the weather change this week as I hoped to get in a good walk every morning before sitting down to grading or writing. Maybe the forced indoor work will be for the best. Still my motivation is low; I turned off my alarm clock for the week and will sleep as long as the cats will let me--actually that might not be a good way to handle things--they were upset that I got up at 9am today! They'd stay in bed all day if I'd let them sometimes.

Laurie.
I bet you can't wait for this school year to end.Sounds like you have been banging your head against the wall this year.

Ya the weather here has gone kaputs too- only 40 yesterday and windy.We have not done yard work yet it is too early in these parts and you might as well wait until everyone is doing it or you get your neighbors junk blowing in your yard.

Your doing well with your weight, good luck with the next set of injections.

Linda

Happy Easter friend!!

Are you starting shots again tomorrow or did you restart already? I haven't been on plan for 2 weeks, getting back to business tomorrow.

Stop in and say hi!!

Veronica & Linda: Thanks for checking in on me...it has been a very long week.

I did begin the HCG again last Monday and "loaded"--aka ate as much as I wanted and whatever I wanted both Monday and Tuesday (along with dinner on Sunday night at Olive Garden). By the time I got to my appointment at the clinic on Monday afternoon, my weight was up to 168 on their scale--OUCH! and a one more day of loading to go.

It has been much harder to get into ketosis this week than the first time I did this in July--I didn't register a trace level until today! I've been hungry all week--and Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday ravenously so. It probably didn't help that the writing of my Entry 3 for Pro Cert wasn't going all that well. It was much more tedious and longer than the other entries and almost three times the evidence to discuss. I submitted it on Thursday afternoon--after having to have DH convert it to a .pdf file and he had to send it through his email to the Instructor--my email has a limit on file sizes I can send--who knew? Thankfully, his does not. He will bring it up to the Network folks at work this week.

I didn't get to my grading until Friday and again, DH bailed me out. He did the adding and calculating of the points and grades earned for the Honors classes' part I Novel Notes for To Kill a Mockingbird while I did the actually grading. It took us about 4 1/2 hours altogether, but did keep my mind off being so hungry. So much for a relaxing Spring Break! NOT!

We took the time to look for a new TV stand--one that will work with the large, standard TV we have in the living room now and will look even better for a flat screen later on. We found one in a catelog at the furniture store we bought out sectional and chair in there from...I wish I could see it prior to putting in an order to purchase it. They sell the media stands so fast, that if it is not to our liking, they'll keep it. The price is not as bad as thought either for what it is and about the same as similar, but not as nice at Crate and Barrel or Pottery Barn--better styling that both. DH says he'll call to order it on Monday.

No yard work this week--should go out and mow the damp lawn before it torrentially rains again. We've had terrible wind and rain the past three days. We didn't lose power, but it looked like it took a hit up at school as the clocks were messed up. (I went up there and did some quick planning while the church was in session and building alarm's off today for about 2 1/2 hours to get ready for the week--but not enough paper for the copier--working for a change--to really get ahead.) Exercise yesterday was walking around stores and dodging raindrops--not really exercise. Hopefully the weather will cooperate for both walking and yardwork some this week (if I'm not too wiped out from the VLCD and HCG still).

My weight is at 157--not where I'd hoped it would be after a week on the stuff; but the nurse told me that the less weight I have to lose, the slower it will probably come off this time. They told me no lowfat cheese or trim cottage cheese in place of the shakes this time around also--I can't add in mushrooms, berries other than strawberries, or the other alternative non-starchy veggies for another two weeks either. It feels limiting. Instead, I'm starting with a little larger protein portion at lunch and dinner, and if I need a snack, to have a half portion of protein. I should have dropped the fruit until I got into ketosis, but I was so hungry this week. Hunger has been better yesterday (Saturday) and today, but I did add some black coffee to my day to kill the hunger cravings also. Funny, shopping last night all I wanted was fresh french bread--could pass up the candy, but so wanted bread!

Hopefully the worst of the hunger pangs are gone now and I can concentrate on getting back into school; only 11 1/2 more weeks of school--Linda, I will be so happy when this year is over! I don't know how I'm going to fit the rest of the history/English curriculum in especially since the state requires us to spend a full week on the Classroom Based Assessment for history requirements; a research paper--research, drafting, and writing of final in just a week. Last year, my students did an impecable job (as those the year prior), but this year, I'm thinking my students will probably implode. We also have senior board portfolio evaluations this week, practice presentations the next two week, and then the final senior board evaluations in mid-May. I'm so glad my advisory students are sophomores (getting my last group through that process last year was killer for about half!)

Now...to fold another stack of laundry and about that grass...

Hey Miss Laurie, hows it going over on the left coast?

Hoping all is well.

:hug:

Veronica - you are a life saver again...I'm just not up to searching for anything...no more difficult tasks for me.

The weekend is nearly over and the alarm clock needs to be turned on again for tomorrow morning. It has been one of the worst weeks ever--I'd happily go back to having the nasty cold than go through another week like this one.

I had to meet with the students' parents about the plagiarized assessments; funny how these boys are so much like their folks and one more meeting after school this week. Does it not make sense that society does not need (or want--I hope) people who cheat their ways through school operating on people, flying airplanes, designing earthquake proof buildings? Apparently there is a market for said cheaters in life - as the parents don't think that it is an issue--they just want the points reinstated; doesn't matter if any learning is taking place. After all, it is us teachers who are what's wrong with education.

I then spent the weekend revising, resubmitting Entry 3 for Pro Cert and then completing the laundry list of other requirements added at the last class. I'm crossing my fingers my revisons meet standard as I was over length by 4 pages the first time around (not sure how I mis-read the directions, but the diretions appear to be different on one template than the one being used for grading...) I'm ready to change careers, again.

I've been hungry all week too--can't seem to get back into ketosis which is the key to not feeling hungry and I've only managed to lose 2 lbs from last post...a hard-fought-for 2 lbs. I'm overly tired (related to starting again? I don't know). I need to get some exercise, but schedule this week has been in the way. Now the rain has backed off (and the wind) maybe this week will be more conducive to getting a walk in.

My parents were contacted at the last minute to get my youngest neice to the airport to fly back to Provo yesterday and they dropped by so we could have a hug (and I could finally give her a card and gift card for her birthday...I know bad auntie, very bad auntie--but I told my sis and the girls no more gifts until I heard whether or not they received their Christmas gifts and no, text messages don't count - either send me a card or give me a call. And no, I didn't hear...) Somehow DN couldn't stop texting long enough to remember to put the card in her pocket, she left it on the kitchen counter and we had to hurry and call Dad's cell # to turn around and come back for it. No, I'm not wasting a stamp. (Funny, her father took her phone the minute she arrived and didn't give it back until just prior to leaving...hmmm, he's a better parent than I gave him credit for.)

DH is out mowing the lawn - in the twilight...I should have done it earlier, but was buried behind the work laptop screen. I did get the laundry folded between tearing out my hair. DH also ordered the new TV cabinet--the one we found in the catelog at the store we bought our sectional from...and it was tax relief day - they pay the sales tax. A bonus for procrastinating.

Foodwise, I've been on plan, but probably need to drop both an ounce of protein and the fruit this week until the strip turns pink. That I don't know if I can do; I'm sure the stress will be as bad this week as last. It is crunch time for seniors and I have several who are so credit deficient that I'm sure more melt downs are coming. One didn't meet standard (he's the one writing students) and the class as decided to support him even if they all have to write with him--they all passed their reading portfolios (the only good news all week.) Still, I'm back to dreaming of chocolat bars and eclairs--neither were or are regular staples of my diet, so why do I want them now?

There is only 10 1/2 more weeks left of school--I'm thinking of skipping the 1970 and 1980s all together to get through the year...I'm dropping most of the unit for World War II to get into the Cold War and the CBA - a required research paper written on technology through the ages (research and paper written all within one week--I know all my students will implode, whereas last year, these papers could have earned credit for the college research paper at the community college. What a difference a year makes.)

So on to it...

Laurie- WOW you have alot going on! Teens and their cell phones,I just don't get it.Well lets be honest some adults are just as bad.I see people in the neigborhood leaving their house and get on the phone- really you could not have made that call before you left- we managed to do that in the 1980s and before that.

My DH and I believe kids are the way they are today because of the parents- they take the whatever is easier route no matter what the issue is.

We are expecting 4 days of rain here and we have had such nice weather.Talking possible slushy mix too- Ugh!

Congrats on the 2lbs.,I know you would have like more but at least it was a loss.

Linda

Linda:

I sure wish I knew the answer, but everyday, it gets worse with the cell phones. Contacting parents doesn't stop it; today, in fact, the repeated buzzing was because a parent was calling to get ahold of her son who picked up her bag by mistake. She finally called downstairs to the office and they put the call through to my room--then she was yelling so loudly at her son for taking the wrong bag and not picking up his phone that the class could overhear it. I finally, asked to speak to the boy's mother and let her know that we have a no cell phones out in class policy - they should be off and off person and that it would be easier at this point for me to send her son down to the office with her bag and she could come by and make the swap and then he could pick up his bag from there. She was flabbergasted that I'd heard the conversation--I said the whole class has now heard the conversation. Now, can we get back to learning? Geez. All I know is that our school board and district administrators need to get up some courage and put together stronger policies for the electronic devices, the bullying via social networking sites, and attendance if they are going to base my pay on students' performance.

Weight: down to 154 for the past two days, but back up one to 155 this morning. I'm still not able to get into ketosis, but skipping fruit makes me feel so energy deprived, that I don't care. It is so frustrating to be hungry this time around when I didn't experience that at all during the first few weeks of the first round.

I finally got the approval on my last Entry for Pro Cert--I can burn the documents to the CD now--I printed the hardcopies at school today. On May 3rd it will all be over--unless they come up with some other set of hoops to jump through.

We worked in the yard a little on Saturday (drizzle) and all day Sunday; we found two replacement pots for the two that broke during the wind storm last fall--but both were not as deep as they needed to be. Surgery on the bay and bamboo rootballs hopefully won't kill either. We took the flame thrower to the weeds on the paver patio--DH will pressure wash tomorrow evening and hopefully we'll get some dry days so I can treat it with the Round Up Extended control. (That might be Wednesday afternoon, but it still may be too cold. That stuff really doesn't work unless the temps are in the 60s to 70s.)

Students have taken up their typical post-testing "I'm done learning now" attitude unfortunately--it will be a long 9 1/2 weeks if it keeps up. My seniors are turning into their typical pre-schooler personnas - yes, this normal for this time of year too--graduation is 9 weeks off and that's pretty scary for most, especially my at risk students. For every step forward, they take five back. We will start Pride and Prejudice next Monday (and it is the spring play this year too!) and hopefully, it will put their minds on something other than the big, bad world out there. They all did great on their Hamlet tests.

DH and I are doing our best to learn how to say the Icelandic volcano's name and no amount of my early Norwegian or his Finnish is helping us figure out the Icelandic. He just found the phoemic guide--and no it didn't help. So from here on out it is that "Darn Smoking Whole under the Glacier in Iceland."

Hey buddy!!

On the cell phone issue, I feel your pain. Trying to work on someones teeth while they are looking at their phone or trying to text makes me nuts. We have a sign in the office that the phones have to be off, but no one cares. How would they feel if I took off my gloves and answered my phone while in the middle of treating them? And usually the adults are worse than the kids.

Great job on your ProCert. Hopefully it will all be final no more hoops and you will be all set.

On your weight loss, I don't know what to tell ya. Is the hunger getting worse or lessening as you go along? Maybe it is just taking more time for you to adapt to the LCD this time. Hope things get better for you. I am always looking out for your posts, and thinking positive thoughts for you!!

Gosh! It's been an avalanche of issues, one right after the other that has kept me from time for me and journaling the past--ouch!--4 1/2 weeks. It started with a cold that I couldn't shake--just minor symptoms, but overall exhaustion. Frankly, I just came home and napped after work and didn't feel like I could catch up on my sleep at all. Then interrim progress reports for students and a heavy grading load and working with those who, at third quarter, were (and most still are) in danger of not passing for the semester. Why it becomes the teachers' problems at that point when it is because the students either don't attend or don't do anything when they are or are not there, is a mystery for the ages. But at our school---"The buck stops" at our desks and it becomes a load of emails and phone calls home for those student not putting in any effort.

Pro Cert - where to begin? More was added at our meeting the first week of April. I got word that my revisions for my last large entry were accepted and all that remained was the extras--things to complete that were started the year prior and all the documentation of professional development etc... My carpool buddy and I were already to take off for the last meeting for turning in the hardcopies and CDs of our work and get signed off and she received a last minute email that cancelled the meeting. Thankfully she called me before I left school to meet her. The directions were then to drop off the packets at the university or to mail them to the director of the program. I decided that I didn't trust the mail and wanted to delivery my packet in person, so I took hers along too. It seemed the frustration factor got the best of one of the candidates and a threat was made that made the university cancel all the in-person meetings and made up deliver the materials to campus security office--they wouldn't let us near the education department! They even cancelled our celebration the week after. We've not heard anything except that our packets were received at this point. Weird and a total letdown to 7 months of work.

I've still had lower back problems - siatic (sp) nerve issues is the diagnosis--I need to rest, get a new chair for work (yeah, right) and stretch. Walking is OK as long as it doesn't hurt. All that total tiredness due the cold for 2 weeks had to be enough rest. I stretch, but it doesn't seem to help. New chair? I suppose I'll have to go out and find one myself...not going to happen through the school district and I don't want to have it disappear over the summer months, so I'm waiting to see if they actually requistion one or get one at the start of next year. Supposidly, I will not be RIF'd or involutarily transferred for next year (knock on something wood), and should be teaching about the same classes. Our schedules won't be distributed (tentative schedules) until the end of the school year for next. I'm guessing all the stress has impacted my back also.

DH and I began walking (pain is still there) last week and we got in four, 40 minutes walks last week. Lots of yard work over the weekends, but no walks. We got in one last night, but it raining this afternoon and we'll just have to do it anyway.

Weight-wise - I'm holding at 157-158 and can't seem to lose anything. The hunger has subsided, but I should be dropping a half pound a day based upon my calorie count and exercise (with or without HCG) and my body just won't release the weight. If I can't get under what I was at my lowest (152-153) in three more weeks, I'm going to stop the HCG again and just keep to a low carb, high protein, low fat meal plan and hope that my body will adjust and let me lose. DH thinks that I need a higher dose of thyroid supplement or find someone to prescribe the Armour...with the weight I've lost, you can see my thyroid--it's clearly visible and appears to be larger now than 6 months ago. I have to see my GYN RNP next month and I'll have her run labs again and check results against last years. The Endrocrine specialist wouldn't see me based upon the labs last year at this same time despite low T3 uptake levels. So frustrating!

There are just 4 weeks of school left--this week was Senior Boards (they present their portfolios and go through an exit interview process) and it is also Classroom based assessment for social studies for my sophomores--they have to research and write cited essays in one week's time. Last year, my classes did fabulous work. This year, most students haven't completed the research as directed and the in-class write is Friday. With those on the cusp of failing, my stress level is all the more elevated, but it seems that most students are not impacted by the stress at all. I told one of the community board evaluators that if I ever went back to work in the private sector, I would never hire anyone from the class of 2012--worst work ethic I've faced since start of my teaching career. He told me that he thought 2008 was the worst group of seniors he'd evaluated in doing this 12 years. Cycles is his explanation--every 3 to 5 years, there are just classes without direction or maturity. Sad, isn't it?

I heard my niece received a full-ride scholarship to the community college turned 4-year college she has been attending while in high school--she earns her HS diploma on May 27 and will have her AA by the end of August. It will allow her to live at home, keep her part time job, and commute while earning her BS. It isn't the big, prestigeous state university she had in mind, but a scholarship is a scholarship and I told her that as long as her grades are high (and they have been) and she has the right credits in the right areas, and her MCAT scores are high, she will compete with the other medical school candidates when it is time to apply. Why go into debt for a brand-name university?

Veronica - as always, thanks for checking in on me...my goal is to take at least 3 hours a week for me from here on out until summer comes.

Hi Laurie,
Glad your school year is almost to an end, it sounds so frustrating.

Hope your Procert is exactly what you hoped for- hopefully the celebration can come afterwards.

I would push about your thyroid- it is a huge issue among women.I had 1/2 of mine removed in 2007- had a lump, did an ultrasound guided biopsy and found unusual cells- he said they may have turned cancerous.If your levels are low that could be why you are holding on to the weight.

Have a good week
Linda

Laurie:hug: So glad to see you back!!

I will post up more later, but just wanted to pop in to say hello.

Hey there!!

I have been so busy that I totally spaced on coming back to your journal! But I'm here now, hoping that things are going well for you. School is almost over, hoping that you will have a relaxing and enjoyable summer.

On the weight loss/health issues, I hope you are feeling better. I am going to guess that things have not been going as well as you would like. With the thyroid, MAKE THEM LET YOU SEE AN ENDOCRINOLOGIST. This is non-negotiable. If you can see your thyroid, then something is very wrong. Do not give up until you see a specialist. The thyroid problems would contribute to your lack of weight loss. Hope that your back/hip pain is getting better. Sometimes resting is the hardest thing to do.

Keep going, I am finally catching up to you weight wise. I like the challenge of trying to catch you!

What a couple of weeks! I'm still fighting the ups and downs of weight despite being really diligent with the diet and the HCG. I'm up one day, sometimes two or three pounds only to drop again the next. Today I'm at 157, but was at 161 yesterday. We're really careful with the sodium, but I retain water like crazy. I want to chalk it up to the stress of work right now and want of a crunch in my diet. The weather isn't helping either. It has been unseasonable cool, wet, windy and altogether NOT conducive to walking outside. I've only twice in the last week and not for that long between storms. We are expecting only one "nice" day this weekend--Sunday, but it is expected to stay very cool - maybe into the low 60s. So much for a long, holiday weekend.

My sophomores are now through with their classroom based assessment for social studies; a researched-based essay that has four days of research time scheduled and one day of writing. I just completed the grading process before I left school yesterday and only a handful in both classes didn't meet standard and it was those students who have been struggling all year that didn't. No surprise, but there are some that just will not follow directions no matter what I do and I even have a practicum student who was there to assist. He's been fabulous and a boost of energy for me and the students during class. His presence has confirmed my observations; my honors class is not what he considers honors (he graduated from the rival district high school and took honors and AP classes there) and my regular class, with few exceptions is really the honorable ones. He even led a learning activity last week and it was very successful. However, his confidence left him when asked to run through a Cold War lecture, and I stepped in to do it instead. He will try another time next week. He has to have 80 hours of classroom time; observation and practice prior to admittance into the school of education, so he will be with me at least through the end of next week, but maybe through the end of the school year. He has taken on some of the grading tasks and that has made my life easier in getting through the CBA essays--something I cannot delegate.

Despite the assistance during classes, I'm coming home with almost debilitating tiredness at the end of the day. I'm nearly passing out at 4pm each day and nap for about 2 hours prior to dinner. It is a whole body tiredness--I feel heavy and achy and almost disoriented. The weather isn't helping as one low pressure system after another makes my sinuses act up and I feel like my head needs a pressure release valve. Nothing in the form of over-the-counter meds touch it and today I resorted to a 4-shot 20 oz latte with a little real caramel and it actually helped! It is totally off plan, but I'll skip the calories otherwise today in lieu of the caffeine boost.

I had hoped to be driving over to open the cabin, but DH couldn't take today off--too much behind on the implementation of the finance systems upgrade at work. I've put my foot down on vacation time--he will have to get time off the first part of July or I've threatened to take the cats by myself and disappear. My folks will open it up on their way back from Utah; graduation from high school for my oldest niece and graduation from 6th grade for my youngest. They took off right after school on Wednesday - drove all night to Utah to make it ontime for the youngest's ceremony then the other in the late afternoon. I haven't heard from any of the group so I hope all is well and no drama occurred. My contract doesn't allow for use of personal days on either side of a weekend or holiday, unfortunately, or I would have gone with them. Their contracts do. (I had to put in for compensation for my unused days this year because I can only carryover three and I have six right now. What is the use of personal days if you can't take them when you need them?)

Right now, I don't know what the project schedule will be for the weekend; DH may have to be oncall or work OT to catch up on coding periodically. I did get an appointment with my nurse practitioner for June 8 after school and I will have her run the labs for endocrine levels; it may mean finding another FP in the area to get into the endocrine office, but I'm going to be firmer in my approach this summer if I have sit in the office until I'm seen. I've never complained of a "foggy brain" - I'm cursed by an excellent memory, but I will if it gets me seen. I have all other symptoms of low thyroid levels, but the short-term memory losses. Apparently that may be the key to getting attention--one of our paraeducators said that is finally the piece that got her taken seriously. She also is one that can't maintain a healthy weight, has joint aches, and low energy despite eating right, exercising daily (walking, swimming, and cycling) and yes, I can see her thyroid too! It is strange how common the symptoms are, yet the medical community wants to discount them for something else.

Linda, Veronica - thanks again for stopping in and keeping my journal from disappearing off screen. Now that the large projects are done with and there is only two and half more weeks of school, I can try to make more time for me...

Hi Laurie,
2 1/2 weeks left! Is that you I hear cheering from here???? HA!HA!

Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred is an exercise dvd that incorporates cardio, strength and abs all in about 25 mins.It is pretty intense- it has 3 levels, I have only done level 1 so far because that is the only one I have tried- I know it so I stick to it.

I run 3.5 miles come in and do that.By the time I am done I look like I came out of the shower.Yes the scale should move but it doesn't.I eat right most of the time too.Fruits, vegs, no processed foods.I don't get it.

Beyond exercise I am a nut around here and don't sit much, my job keeps me running for 10 hours 2x/week- I know that it is frustrating that's for sure.

Thanks again for keeping up with me- most of the time I feel like I am talking to myself around here.It is too bad ,a couple years ago this board was crazy with support.

Have a great long weekend
Linda

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter