Laurie's journal - Atkins plan (comments welcome)

Certainly it isn't quality sleep that is keeping me going right now. My body clock is still not what it should be but I have been up, on time, and to school dressed professionally.

Yes, it was only day two, but I am really hoping that my supervising teacher will let me do something besides play gofer, tech guru, or enforcer (for her problem students during advisory). It looks like my own ideas for curriculum are not going to get much use. Even for the units I'm developing for junior English because we are now planning with another junior English teacher (who I really like but wants to do things her way also). I'm vowing to be flexible and open to suggestions. But I'm also having to do the little administrative tasks for myself...like organize my own parking permit and ID. I'm not sure what to make of this development because the information I received when I tried to take care of this today was that my supervising teacher has had an intern each fall for the past 3 years and she knows that she is supposed to initiate the administrative stuff. I'm not sure what I'm suppose to read into this. My face is starting to hurt from smiling all the time.

Doe and Beth - thanks for your warm words of support. I have huge assignments due over the weekend and then I'm vowing to walk when I get home from school (before doing homework) and find a few minutes for me and journals.

:wizard: :wizard: :wizard: Sending extra strength pixie dust for your homework assignments due this weekend. :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:

I'm sure these other teachers think you're the "new kid on the block" and can't possibly have anything to teach them. :rolleyes: They probably are also not used to having a student teacher who is older than 22 and needs their hand held. It's only for a few months and then you'll have a position of your own and you'll be free to use all those good ideas you've got. Time is on your side, Laurie, and you'll be able to do more creative things soon. ::yes::

In the meantime, just keep that smile plastered on your face, even if your teeth are gritted - these are the people who will evaluate you in the end.

:cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2: Just a little while longer, Laurie! :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:

Hang in there Laurie - I'm sure once things get off of the ground you'll be given a chance to really let yourself and your teaching abilities to shine through!!!!

Keep up the good work - and good luck to your dh on his job!!!

Keep on :banana: :banana:
Chris

Hi Laurie,

I know how much you were looking forward to getting into the classroom and doing our thing. Keep in mind that this is temporary. You can get through it. Soon you will have your own classroom, and you will be able to implement all your ideas. Just don't grind your teeth down to nubs in the meantime.

Take care,
Beth

I've survived my first full week (it was a half day today because it is fair day and we only had students were 20 minutes for each class). It was also safety day with about 30 minutes worth of earthquake, lock-down, and fire drills. Oh well, I know where to go and it is quite a hike. Nobody better pull an alarm when it is raining!

I head off on a field trip all day tomorrow for journalism class to the Univ. of Washington (I will feel right at home). I take over 6th period junior English on Friday and got to do some whole class instruction today (20 minutes flies by). I will do a bit for 2nd period senior English as well on Friday. On Monday, I'm doing half the instruction for seniors and all for my juniors. I'm so glad I'm in a "coaching" role in journalism/newspaper staff--no prep for that class.

Wow, does it take time to go through written papers! Not so much to catch the grammar, spelling, mechanics but all the first assignments have been very personal writings and require personal responses. I'm still struggling with getting enough sleep. I'm really ready for a long nap!

Foodwise, I'm doing very well during the day - but need to remind myself to get more liquid in me. When I get home from school I really want to snack and I'm trying to keep that under control.

I read an article about eating 30% protein, 50% carbs (no white carbs) and 20% fats. They recommend that the protein be lean (chicken, fish, low-fat red meats). They study found that people who eat 30% protein begin to eat less calories overall without feeling hungry. I may have to try this out. My feet are quite sore (being on my feet all day in new shoes which are supposed to be supportive and nice looking--Dansko brand). I do have new walking shoes and hopefully, DH and I will get a real walk in tonight.

Laurie, my Crystal class was through a local training company that was contracted to train about 100 employees in our agency. Sure wish I could help your DH more but without seeing his databases, it's tough. The Dummies book is well written and easy to follow - with your DH's database experience, it won't be hard for him to pick up on Crystal very quickly. If he gets stuck, he can always go to the area in Crystal that lets him edit the SQL directly (he'll understand). Have him PM me with any questions he thinks I can help with.

Also, feel free to PM me with questions for my kids. They, especially DS, love to discuss the psychology of their peers with me. You are right, some of these kids have really messed up home lives and/or personal lives. It's easy to see how algebra homework seems lame and inconsequential to them when they've got so much drama and turmoil in their day to day lives. Remember that when you get a kid who just doesn't seem to care about whether they are passing or failing or if their homework is in on time. There's often so much more going on underneath the surface.

Glad to hear things are looking up! Your diet idea sounds intriguing. Give it a try and see how you feel. If you find you're getting sleepy after meals, you may want to cut back on the carbs a bit. Also if you don't feel very full for very long, it's a sure sign you need a bit more fat. A fond saying comes to mind - your body, your experiment. Try to tweak and see what works best for you.

Just think, being on your feet more during the day means you're burning more calories without officially "exercising". Go easy on those tootsies until they adjust to all the standing. Maybe you can convince DH to give you a foot massage now and then. :p

Hi Laurie,

Congratulations on surviving your first week! You are on your way.

One thng about nursing shoes, Dansko are nursing shoes that have gone mainstream. They take a while to break in. Most RNs wear them for 1/2 shift then switch to other shoes. It really take 1-2 weeks to break them in. Wearing them all day can lead to arch pain. Just a FYI.

Take care and relax a bit this weekend,
Beth

Just wanted to let you know I am thinking of you.
Take care and smile.
Beth

Laurie, I'm sending happy thoughts and best wishes your way! I hope all is well in Washington state. :sunny:

Laurie, it's Monday morning and you are headed back into the classroom. You are in my thoughts and prayers today! :hug:

Just letting you know that I am thinking of you.
Take care,
Beth

Hi Laurie! I hope all is well with you!

:hug:

:cool1: It's Friday, Laurie!! :cool1:

I hope your week has gone well and that you've got some rest AND some fun planned for the weekend. My kids have a very long weekend - half day of school today and then Monday and Tuesday off - for Columbus Day. I'm hoping you've got some extra time off too!

It was so nice to check back into my journal and find such great words of encouragement. I've been way too busy and overwhelmed with what is supposed to be a seminar course (with limited involvement) and balancing student teaching. I have learned now to expect the unexpected and just try and tread water. I'm hoping not to go under this week.

Try as I might, I just can't get used to getting up at 5:15 a.m. everyday...I'm much more efficient at getting ready in the morning and I'm hitting the snooze for 15 more minutes. As long as I'm out the door at 6:30 I am in front of the buses and not behind. Getting behind a bus adds 10 to 20 minutes of travel time on the back roads to the high school. On Saturdays I sleep in until at least 9 a.m. - it seems to be the only way I can stay sane. Our classes begin at 7:40 a.m. and that means my 1st and 2nd period classes (because of the block schedule) seem to be extra quiet and sleepy. I have taken control of the senior English classes in their entirety now doing all lesson planning and teaching. The junior English class still has some behavioral issues even with my cooperating teacher in charge. After my last post when I'd taken over the class, this group totally imploded the following Wednesday after two great days with me leading most of the instruction. My CT took over again and observed for another 2 weeks. I would have rather eased into teaching this class again with her in the room. Despite this, she turned the reigns of this class over to me last Friday also. We made significant gains by the end of the class period (she did pull out and do interventions with 3 boys who just would not cooperate...I don't think it was me, they have been acting out all along.) I was very please when she stopped back in with 10 minutes to go and all were in their seats and participating in a great discussion wrapping up our cooperative learning activity. Tuesday should be easy with this group; we are watching the video Smashed about teen drinking.

I am being observed by my faculty advisor from UOP on Monday. I am behind on getting her my lesson plan but did manage to get her a unit outline with three possible plans last Monday. My CT likes to make and revise lesson plans at the last minute. I understand her thinking but would like to make plans a little further in advance. I will be observed teaching my first and third period seniors--amazing classes of very engaged and cooperative students. I am having the best time with these young adults! I know that I can count on these students to do their very best on Monday for me.

We did manage to get out our first newspaper in the journalism class. I wish I could have stayed later in the evenings helping and coaching these students but I feel that I did help them a great deal in the writing process. The students have discovered that I am a good coach. However, I do have to keep myself from editing in the traditional catch and change the mistakes fashion of an English teacher. Pointing out grammatical issues is one thing, re-writing their stories is another. I have to get used to asking questions and making comments that lead them in the correct direction.

The reason I could not spend as much time during production week after school hours is my seminar course: Student Teaching II. Student Teaching I was not as demanding as this course last February and we were not student teaching at that time. This facilitator has us writing papers and doing team projects over and above the demands of putting together our Teacher Work Samples (which takes the place of a Masters Thesis and is as involved and demanding a writing project.) As I have 2 different preps for classes, have special education students mainstreamed with behavior problem students, regular students who will not be heading off to four-year universities, and students who should have been in Advanced Placement classes and will be going to 4-year schools, accomodating all needs is very challenging. The time needed to keep up with grading English papers and journals ranged from an hour after school to 3 or 4 hours a night once I get home from school. (Remind me to get to the third set of journals tonight for 2nd period senior English!) I knew that teaching was demanding; but the extra "crap" required by this particular facilitator is beyond what should be expected of us. The other student teacher at my school does not have any course work besides meeting every other week with other student teachers to discuss their experiences. My CT has complained to the UOP administrator in charge of student teaching for our program and told him they are being unreasonable. I was surprised when she told me that she actually reached the man; he has never returned any of my phone calls.

The lady that runs the rescue organization, from which we adopted our Niko, emailed me a photo of a 9-week old kitten her group pulled out of an abandoned apartment building in New Orleans. We have been hoping and waiting for a little female, but have decided to go and meet this little hurricane victim tomorrow morning (if I can feel caught up enough on my school work). He is quite handsome but isn't scheduled to be neutered until Wednesday. We need to make the run over to the Yellowstone region over Thursday-Sunday--a four-day break from school--to close up my family's cabin. DH thinks the timing is all wrong but is as intrigued by the little guy as I am. Tilda has been pining for a kitten to mother and Niko really needs a playmate with lots of energy. He is still growing at 3 1/2 years of age but still acts like this little baby. DH comes home at lunch time to play with him and I have to keep tossing toys while I'm doing school work or grading papers in the evening or he is chewing on them. It is hard to know whether a little brother will upset Niko...who has become the "Lion" of the house, it was our reasoning that a little sister would be less threatening to his ego. Still we won't know if he is the right one to bring home if we don't go and meet him.

Beth, my feet are not as sore, and you are right, those Danskos do need breaking in. Or maybe I'm just getting use to sore, tired feet!

I believe that I may have lost a little weight (with being on my feet most of the day and running up and down stairs before, during, and after school), but I have'nt gotten the scale out--I'm just going by how my pants are fitting. The worst of it is that I am craving sweets for some reason...must be stress. I have tried to not start snacking when I get home and DH and I try to have an early dinner instead and then get to bed early (even if I don't always fall asleep when I should).

Hoping to check in again after my observation. Thanks again for the positive thoughts and prayers headed my way.

I knew you'd be able to handle the challenges of student teaching and it sounds like you are doing great! :Pinkbounc However, this seminar course is NOT helping! When is it scheduled to be over? Hopefully soon! ::yes::

A new little kitty! :goodvibes Maybe this new little one will work out for Tilda and Niko. How sweet to look after a little orphan. I hope he's as sweet in person as he is in the pictures. :goodvibes

More :goodvibes for your observation on Monday. :cheer2:

Best wishes for a good end to your seminar class, a good observation of your student teaching, a sweet new kitty that will blend well with Tilda and Niko, a safe trip to close up the cabin and pants that continue to get looser! :cloud9:

:wave2: Hi Laurie! :wave2:

I thought of you last evening as I was buying something off Ebay and the seller was in Seattle Washington. :goodvibes

:hug: and :goodvibes comin' your way!!

Doe, thanks for your support! I feel really exhausted right now. And I'm blaming "kid germs"...I don't want to but many of my students have been sick and I came down with it this week too.

The good news is that I lasted the first two days this week and had my lesson plans finalized for Wednesday...my CT had to take over to monitor the dreaded Grammar test for the seniors and it was just presentations for the juniors. My fever broke very late Wednesday night and I was back on my feet (a little woozy) Thursday a.m. My two classes' of seniors both told me that they missed me and to please not get sick again this semester. I told them I would try. They are really wonderful kids! I'm living on tylenol p.m. at night and a combo of advil and excedrin during the day but at least I'm making it through.

My seminar course is still out of control and my teacher work sample parts 1-4 is not going well at all. I totally bombed part 3 and know that I need to revise parts 1 & 2 also. Part 4 is due on Monday and then I do get to revise them all within the last week ASAP. It is frustrating because I'd hoped to use the unit I designed for junior English but I did not get to teach this unit in its entirety and that is the stipulation. So I'm stuck using the unit I created on the fly for close reading and study strategies for the seniors. Assessment for this unit is difficult to measure because it will be many moons before I see if the strategies pay off for these students. They've seemed to meet the goals of each lesson and I'm going to give them a test on Wednesday to finish up the unit...students are submitting their own questions for me to design the test with. The students thought I was crazy asking them to submit test questions as homework today...apparently they've never done this before (and I thought that writing their own assessments was cutting edge educational theory used by every educator if I am to believe my training). I've got teachers all over the building quizzing me about my unit because the students are talking about it and using the strategies in other classes, building and meeting in their own study groups and "cooperating and graduating" as my own mother calls it. It is causing quite a stir and some of the journalism students who take AP English are asking me to share "my secrets" with them also. The principal cornered me after school today and wanted to know what was going on...was I helping them to find new ways to "cheat"? Of course not, I assured him, students will still have to read and study the material on their own, they just have more efficient ways to make connections to the material so that they don't have to keep cramming for exams, they should be able retain the information longer also. But I do believe the "cheat" story has brought about a great deal of interest from the students outside my three senior English classes.

Well I'm off to bed...I missed Alias last week when we drove over to close up the cabin for the winter over a four-day weekend from school. The kitties were not happy to have to leave after only 3 nights. The night sky is filled with flying squirrels and really good "cat tv". We did not adopt the little tuxie boy...someone one got ahead of us and our rescue lady thinks Niko would be better off with a little sister so he can remain the "Lion" of the house. So she is still searching for the best fit for us. Niko sure needs the playmate right now. He is still growing! He is not exactly cat-size anymore, more the size of a medium dog.

I'm hoping for a respite this weekend if I can get my act together with my TWS and lesson plans for the week. I'm also hoping to catch up on some journals.

Sounds like you have been a busy bee. Hope you are doing okay. Hang in there!

Chris

I am unofficially finished with my course (it technically ends on Monday but I have submitted my teacher work sample part 1-4 and my weekly summary)! I would really like to take a week off between courses but there may be an opportunity to take over teaching an English or Social Studies class at the secondary level in my school district for second semester because the headcount is still rising above what they are currently staffed for. The next course will begin on Tuesday and it is only a four week course on online learning for high school students. It has been a while since I've done a four-week (2 credit) course, but most have been very light compared to the six-week (3 credit) courses. I'm going to push on through. I will get time off over Veteran's day and Thanksgiving from student teaching as well as 2 weeks at Christmas. I believe this will be enough to try to keep me sane between now and my end of course date.

I'm really struggling to find a way to maintain control in the 6th period junior English class. I have not had many opportunities to be on my own in this class as they can't seem to behave for any more than one class period at a time. The rollercoaster level of noise and misbehavior from one day to the next is obnoxious. My cooperating teacher is not willing to let them abuse me or her but her tactics of sending students to the office is now backfiring (IMHO).

My seniors are getting surprise rice crispy bars tomorrow and Tuesday when they finish their on-demand writing practice. The three senior classes are wonderful! I am so fortunate to work with these students. I will sub for my CT next Friday (most likely) and teach her 4th period juniors which I don't normally see as I'm down with the newspaper staff. These students are delightful! I don't know how we ended up with one class that is completely out-of-control when the others are so great.

I am not completely happy with my TWS 1-4, but they have been submitted and I just have to tell myself to be satisfied with a B+ if that is all I earn. A B is required to not have to retake the course. I have enough of an understanding now of the rest of the TWS that I can start of these sections before my last course begins in December.

Chris, thanks for dropping by! I surely need a good cheering up through this last push.

You are welcome. Glad to hear that there really is a light at the end of your tunnel for you. Sorry to hear that group of kids if giving you troubles. I remember doing that in high school and we didn't care because we never got in trouble. Good luck - I wouldn't want to be in your shoes, sorry.

Chris

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter