Le Cellier poor cut of steak

sethschroeder

DIS Veteran
We have always liked eating here. I have to say this last time was a large disappointment compared to any other time we have been. Of course it's the grand parents and kids first time as well.

Every single ribeye (3 of them) had bad gristle in a variety of locations and one of them throughout.

Not sure if they changed the provider or if they are not inspecting their meat as closely as they used to.

The flavor was there on the steak not as much on the potatoes that comes with the steak and the pouting also while good was not as good as January.

Just throwing in out there in case people are deciding between places. Had a great meal at Citricos though last week.

Didn't get to Topolinos but that was our favorite dinner from January.

Sorry to hear this. Variability in cuts of meat is why I never order steak in a restaurant.

Sorry to hear your your experience, we haven't been in a couple of years but based on this and other feedback will probably not revisit in the near future.

Yeah, ribeye's are like that. Sometimes they have large bands of fat running though 1/3 of the cut. (between the cap and the loin) It's not surprising that it was similar for all of yours since they were most likely cut from the same roast. Ribeye's can have uniform marbling throughout, large bands of fat, or lean portions with bands of fat. Fat means flavor, but if it's not well distributed it seem like "gristle" within your beautiful cut of steak!

It's a "catch 22" because typically better grades of ribeye have more fat, not less. This means more flavor, but can also mean large sections of inedible fat.

Sounds like you guys were unlucky with those particular cuts. It's something that you think a restaurant like Le Cellier would look out for. Below are photos that are all ribeye, but you can see how much variation you can get from cut to cut.

FWIW I love ribeye but when I'm choosing my steaks I'm selective and try to choose ones that have good marbling without the large band(s) of fat.

Dan

1657725510056.png1657725535473.png1657725648459.png1657725772198.png

Last edited:
Le Cellier was our fav at EPCOT until last month. We all ordered filet's (four adults) and three of four were undercooked/awful. Our last visit. I'm sorry you had a similar visit. It is way too much money and time for a bad steak.

I haven’t been there in years… visited a couple times and left disappointed each time… the food is just not very good.
Will unlikely ever go again.

Sorry to hear this. Variability in cuts of meat is why I never order steak in a restaurant.

I never have issues at most good steakhouses. There can be some variability in cuts but this is something someone who is trained (or even routine home grillers) would be able to spot for the quality of the cut.

Yeah, ribeye's are like that. Sometimes they have large bands of fat running though 1/3 of the cut. (between the cap and the loin) It's not surprising that it was similar for all of yours since they were most likely cut from the same roast. Ribeye's can have uniform marbling throughout, large bands of fat, or lean portions with bands of fat. Fat means flavor, but if it's not well distributed it seem like "gristle" within your beautiful cut of steak!

It's a "catch 22" because typically better grades of ribeye have more fat, not less. This means more flavor, but can also mean large sections of inedible fat.

Sounds like you guys were unlucky with those particular cuts. It's something that you think a restaurant like Le Cellier would look out for. Below are photos that are all ribeye, but you can see how much variation you can get from cut to cut.

FWIW I love ribeye but when I'm choosing my steaks I'm selective and try to choose ones that have good marbling without the large band(s) of fat.

Dan

View attachment 684438View attachment 684439View attachment 684440View attachment 684442

Gristle is different than fat. I can easily pick out high quality cuts of meat from a raw cut steak. Gristle is not something you really miss if you look at the cut in your hands.

Bands of fat are no issue and even that should be checked for when serving a $50+ steak.

Fat = Fat (can be eaten and adds flavor to the cut typically)
Gristle = cartilage that is inedible

I have cooked a ton of ribeyes in my lifetime including quite a few tomahawks and have eaten a ton of them as well in a variety of steakhouses. So this wasn't my first rodeo where I felt it was too fatty (I would never say a ribeye is too fatty to be honest).

Oh no! Just booked it for the first time ever for the filet mignon, as our usual signature dining for steak, Narcoosee's, is closed for renovations during our August visit. The first time we've been to WDW in 5 years and I can't have my almond crusted cheesecake 😭

Yeah it had been a while since we had done Le Cellier, went back in April and it just wasn't what we remembered... also went back to France for first time in a really long time, and it was better than we remembered.

But for steak, we went to steakhouse 71 a few days later and had a MUCH more enjoyable meal at not too bad of a price (for a Disney steak). And still hear good stuff about Yachtsman Steakhouse.

But will say a poor cut of meat, or personal that might not be well versed in meat selection and trimming... are easy fixes.

Last edited:
We dined there earlier this year. I was never impressed with it but DW/DD/DGDs are steak crazy so we had lunch there. I don't recall any complaints, I don't even recall what I had.

We gave LC two chances. In both cases, the meat quality was disappointing and several of us had instances of steaks not being cooked as requested. I know other people come away loving LC, so it's probably just another example of a Disney restaurant plagued by inconsistency.

I never have issues at most good steakhouses. There can be some variability in cuts but this is something someone who is trained (or even routine home grillers) would be able to spot for the quality of the cut.

Gristle is different than fat. I can easily pick out high quality cuts of meat from a raw cut steak. Gristle is not something you really miss if you look at the cut in your hands.

Bands of fat are no issue and even that should be checked for when serving a $50+ steak.

Fat = Fat (can be eaten and adds flavor to the cut typically)
Gristle = cartilage that is inedible

I have cooked a ton of ribeyes in my lifetime including quite a few tomahawks and have eaten a ton of them as well in a variety of steakhouses. So this wasn't my first rodeo where I felt it was too fatty (I would never say a ribeye is too fatty to be honest).
Ok, sorry for replying to your post. Not trying to demean you.

Ribeye should never have any gristle. Almost sounds like a strip steak by what you’re describing but obviously it must have been a ribeye.

Dan

Personally I have not had a really good steak lately no matter where.... Had a Filet a few weeks ago but and it had fat on it not gristle but fat which a filet should never have. As far as pricing it was 48 and not a steak house but a mid tier restaurant somewhere between a Disney Signature and regular TS. Bought steaks that had great marble.... slapped them on the grill and the marble disappeared I can swear it was painted on.......... Steak is just a gamble these days and truthfully not worth paying for. In general I will not order a Filet as it is just not the cut I like but being this was a more calorie conscious place there was no NY strip steak or any fattier cut that to me has far more taste on the menu but I have never cut into fat on a filet when I did order it in the past.

We always have either lunch or dinner at LC every trip and have never had a bad experience. We were last there in November.

Last edited:
We always have either lunch or dinner at LC every trip and have never had a bad experience. We were last there in Novemver

We haven't either until this trip and our last trip was in January and been there a couple times since the COVID shutdown.

That's sad if true. It's been 2 years since we dined there last, but the ribeye was wonderful for the 3 of us who ordered it.

Oh no! Just booked it for the first time ever for the filet mignon, as our usual signature dining for steak, Narcoosee's, is closed for renovations during our August visit. The first time we've been to WDW in 5 years and I can't have my almond crusted cheesecake 😭
Oh no! I didn’t know Narcoosses’s was closed. I too love the almond crusted cheesecake. I think it’s my favorite thing to eat at WDW. We were planning to visit the bar in September to get some. I’m bummed.

Now, I’ll return you to your regularly scheduled steak conversation. I eat filets. The ones at California Grill and jiko’s are outstanding. But, if I want steak, I go to Shula’s.

La Cellier used to be one of my must dos on every trip…
Even before covid is became hit or miss…..

I have had two so so meals there since they reopen and I have looked elsewhere….

STK at the springs is out of this world good…. Dinner for two is north of 300 bucks but so worth it.

im looking for to trying the new place in the contemporary next time I’m at bay lake …

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter