:) Le Cellier Review

dec2901

Mouseketeer
**Update** We still love Le Cellier!! Read post #59.

I have been waiting for Kevin's review of Le Cellier since Christmas and I can say that I am very sad now that I have heard it. I had my fingers crossed that Kevin, John, Bob, and their families would have a great experience unlike the other reviews/reports that I have been reading. Le Cellier was our (DH & I) favorite meal from our last trip and we have an ADR for our last night in WDW in 2 weeks.

Now I do not know what to do (maybe cry)!! Kevin, I know you will say this is just your opinion and that I should try it for myself, but lately many people share that same opinion (John, Bob, board members). We are on the dining plan and currently have ADR's for Narcoosee's and Chefs de France (as you can tell I really respect Kevin's opinion). Any suggestions for a one TS credit restaurant to replace Le Cellier? What would you do - change ADR or go ahead to Le Cellier?

Kevin, John, Bob, and pod-squad members - thanks for hearing me out and offering your suggestions. Now where is the kleenex?!?

Rachel

I would tell you to go to Le Cellier.

I might have had a very different opinion had I not been every year and seen the changes for myself.

Our food was not bad. I really never said it was bad....I said it was ok to good. I did say I was disappointed in the appetizers...but everyone thought their meal was ok.

Maybe I didnt make a strong enough point...but what I was trying to say was that Le Cellier has this iconic image and people get very upset if they can not get an ADR for this "must do" restaurant. I dont get that image and status. If that sort of praise was for Chefs de France...I'd understand it.

I am of the opinion that one of the major reasons that Le Cellier is so wildly popular is because it is a small restaurant and fills quickly. It's a case of supply and demand and an outdated reputation.

Go and try it....it's not going to make or ruin your vacation....it's just dinner.

Kevin

I'm with Kevin on this one. We go to Le Cellier a couple times a year and the last trip was underwhelming. Very long wait then see several empty tables sit, small filet, crunchy rissotto. Unbelievably long wait to get our credit card back.

I too don't understand the hype on this one. Yachtsman is so close yet worlds better.

Yet, when I tried to make my ADR for the end of this month (prior to going there last month) I had a hard time finding a table for 4 during my 5 nights. As soon as I find the time to spend on hold with WDW dining I'm cancelling it.

I agree with Kevin. Le Cellier wasn't what I expected. The portions were very tiny and the prices were very high. My steak was satisfactory, but the rest of the meal was just "ehh" because we had higher expectations of the restaurant. If you really wanted to, I would try it, but otherwise try a different restaurant. :)

I am going to Le Cellier for the first time in April. I keep reading about the tiny portions but when I leave the restaurant will I still be hungry?

We love Le Cellier, but we have removed it from our "must do" list as well due to the difficulty in getting an ADR there. Perhaps with enough average or negative reviews, the popularity of the place will diminish and we can once again get a resservation there.

When did the new chef take over? When we were there in Sept. Things still seemed in order, and the Wasabi Shrimp Cocktail slaw was a good enough appy that I ordered it again two nights later when we ate at Le Cellier for a second time in the same trip. And the steaks were right on both times.

I don't consider Le Cellier iconic, and my vacation would not be ruined if I could not get a reservation... but the current versions beats the heck out of when it was a crappy counter service place.

When did the new chef take over? When we were there in Sept. Things still seemed in order, and the Wasabi Shrimp Cocktail slaw was a good enough appy that I ordered it again two nights later when we ate at Le Cellier for a second time in the same trip. And the steaks were right on both times.

I ate there on Christmas Eve (CP package) with my DD8 and my sister and I had the same appetizer. It was amazing! And our steaks were cooked very well and the leftovers were still good the next day. Our server was prompt and attentive. I don't consider LeCellier a 'must do' as it isn't as good as say, the Gotham Steakhouse in Vancouver, BC but it's close enough. I've had LeCellier reservations before and cancelled them mainly due to touring constraints.

I don't consider Le Cellier iconic, and my vacation would not be ruiened if I could not get a reservation... but the current versions beats the heck out of when it was a crappy counter service place.

:::shudder:: Don't remind me. I STILL have nightmares about when it was counter service. So much so that last December was the first time I'd eaten in the Canada pavillion in almost forever. The only good thing about it then was the dessert.

I ate there on Christmas Eve (CP package) with my DD8 and my sister and I had the same appetizer. It was amazing! .

Can you tell me/suggest what your DD8 ate? I am wondering what my DD8 would enjoy. I heard you can get the soup with the kids as there meals still included the appetizer here on 2008 DDP? :confused3

I have eaten there three times now. The first time LOVED it. Was wonderful. This past October, it was nothing to write home about. I'm a picky steak eater. I enjoy it, but I don't like red, and I don't like it overdone. In October, it was one or the other, don't remember. We went in November with my mom, sister, and aunt and I have to say it was the best steak I've ever eaten. My mom and I ordered the exact same thing, and I was overly thrilled with mine, while hers mooed at her. They took hers back and recooked it, which I think is gross. It was overly done. Everyone else in the party loved their meal.

Kevin gave Kona Cafe a great review, and I have to say that my steak there was so rare, it about made me sick. I also ordered a cake there for my sister (right at the podium when we were seated). I was told it couldn't have her name on it. So, I just asked for 30th birthday to be on there. The cake arrived and it had MY LAST name on it. And, they were still fine charging me full price for my steak and full price for the cake. I did say something and they took the cake off.

So, while I LOVE hearing Kevin's restaurant review because of the detail, I think if there is someplace that you really want to try you shouldn't listen to Kevin, and you should go. And, I think he'd agree. He's given some great advice on where to eat, and he's made me want to try different restaurants. But, people have different meal experiences.

I was a little disappointed in portion sizes the last time I was there too and I worked hard to get that reservation only to walk out looking like this :confused3 What's the big deal with this place??

So, I outsmarted them, I bought the cookbook, Cooking with Mickey and the Disney Chefs and now I can make my own cheddar cheese soup, the famous mashed potatoes and one of their other signatures dishes (I forget which now). I can have LeCellier any time I want and it's way better.

Thanks Kevin for your usual honesty and I'm really sorry about the beefsteak tomato stack. If it helps at all, I had a really awesome one of those over at Maggiano's a few weeks ago. I even asked them where they got such good tomatoes this time of year... Brazil!

There is one word that describes WDW restaurants in my opinion.....Inconsistant.

You will find guests who love or dislike certain restaurants. Some days certain restaurants are "spot on" and other days are terribly off. What drives the inconsistancy...I'm not sure and I believe that is the mystery.

Can you tell me/suggest what your DD8 ate? I am wondering what my DD8 would enjoy. I heard you can get the soup with the kids as there meals still included the appetizer here on 2008 DDP? :confused3

I can't remember exactly what she ate but I do know the kids menu did have an appetizer section on it. And I l believe soup was one of the selections. She would up getting either chicken strips or pizza as the main course. For her appetizer she got carrot sticks with ranch dressing. In her case it was more of a lot on the menu she liked to choose from rather than being 'bored' with it. Hope that helped!

Go and try it....it's not going to make or ruin your vacation....it's just dinner.
Kevin

ITA! :thumbsup2 After reading the dining reviews on the restaurant board I thought about canceling LeCellier and Ohana after reading negative reviews. LeCellier we liked, Ohana not so much. But it was a meal either way. We have also gone to the same restaurant and had two totally different experiences. I think the reviews are a great way to get an inside peek at the restaurants and someone else's experience. But Kevin's right- it is just dinner.

There is one word that describes WDW restaurants in my opinion.....Inconsistant.

You will find guests who love or dislike certain restaurants. Some days certain restaurants are "spot on" and other days are terribly off. What drives the inconsistancy...I'm not sure and I believe that is the mystery.

Which is why I always tell people that my reviews are based on a single visit and are my opinions.

Everyone should go and decide for themselves.

I completely agree that it all boils down to the "iconic image" as the problem. It is a good restaurant with good food, decent service and good atmosphere that had an off night with the appetizers (and a potential $200+tip:scared1: ). I don't think Kevin's review would be generating such a buzz here if, as the Roundtable noted, it wasn't the darling of the Disney fans right now. Well, maybe if it keeps getting mediocre reviews (which really may be classfied as decent reviews at any other WDW eatery that isn't a "darling" right now), the crowds will cease a bit, and ressies will be easier to come by.....

But, all of that still doesn't excuse them for the massive downsizing of portions. My dad's cheese soup in Dec was laughable....not the taste, but the portion! But, I thought our CP package there in the middle of Dec went off without a hitch (other than "dinner" at 4:00 pm...but it was worth it!)

I have been hearing from several sources that Le Cellier hasn't been as good lately. I was saddened to hear the review, but like Kevin says the resturant isn't a vacation breaker for me.

Did I have one of the best meals that I have ever eaten on property there??? Yep (Feb 06), I had the free range chicken and it was "slap your mama good". But the service was so-so (if not a tad slow), and I have had equally good meals at other places on property.

As I like to try new places to eat in each park it will probably be awhile before I go back to Le Cellier anyway, but I am hoping that things improve.

We ate at Le Cellier for Christmas dinner and had the beef and barley soup. Waaaaaaay too peppery-it was absolutely inedible just like Kevin said. So it wasn't fixed by the next day. (the portion size is shameful)
For appetizers we also had the mussels which were good but my son had the duck confit and can't stop raving about. He said it was outstanding.

We all enjoyed our entrees (filets) but yes, they were small portions.
Our server was good and we had a good time

The last time we were at Le Cellier, (Christmas 2004) the chocolate mousse was about twice the size it is now.

One more note....the tomato STACK at Tutto Italia was very good and big enough to share.
This was our last hurrah on the dining plan which we have enjoyed for the past several years. With the changes to the plan :worried: we won't be dining "fine" anymore. Thanks, Kevin, for the review!

Kevin

That's as good advice as I've seen given. What's going to make or break your vacation more than anything is your company and your attitude. Yeah, if you have some kind of truly horrible experience it will be a bummer, but in most cases the worst that will happen is you'll be underwhelmed with the food but still have a great time with your friends/family.

If you really want to pass on Le Cellier, there's other good choices, like Rose and Crown for example.

But you will still get varying opinions no matter what.

So, yeah, just give it a shot and have fun!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter