• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Learning to Snorkel

dthogue

DIS Veteran
We are going on the Eastern cruise in October and plan to snorkel at least three different days. There are 2 adults and 2 children (plus a 5 yo) who want to snorkel. Since we have no snorkeling experience does anyone have any suggestions on learning prior to our cruise? I don' t want to waste precious cruise time learning.

Also do you suggest we rent equipment each day or try to buy our own? I was thinking if we buy our own (maybe one adult set and on child set??) we could practice at our local swimming pool this summer?

Any tips or suggestions?

You'll be surprised how easy it is. DH and I had snorkeled 17 years ago on our honeymoon, and it was so easy to do again at CC where everything is calm. Our DD (10) never had done it before, and with us just telling her to relax and float (with emphasis on relax), we snorkeled for 1 1/2 hours easily!

We bought snorkel sets for DD, DH and myself at Costco for about $25 each. The sets are really nice, you know they have only been in your mouth, and actually the silicone around the face and mouthpiece is more flexible and comfortable than what Disney provides. Also, there is a nice cushion around the heel on the flippers (I know, sounds picky, but trust me, it made a big difference!) of the ones we bought.

I think CC snorkeling is about $25..........so if you ever ever do it more than once, buying is a bargain.

We purchased masks and snorkels from Walmart, took the family to our local community pool. It was a family day swim and we all practiced for a couple of hours. It was great to see if our DD4 was able to pick it up. She loved it. And by the time we got to CC she was a pro. Stay in shallower waters, make sure they know the difference in the water, salty and once they see that they can float easier in the ocean, and they start seeing the fish and things, their hooked!! Good luck and Enjoy, :p

On board they have a demo in the goofy pool of how to snorkle it is pretty good.
Before our first cruise we purchased some equipment for DS (he left it at home, was too cumbersome to pack and just rented) and had him practice in our hot tub. It is really easy to do, basically just float and look around :)
On excursions that include snorkling equipment will be provided and you can rent it at castaway cay.

i would recommend purchasing your equipment in advance. You can get it for about the price of a one day rental. Also you could go to your local pool and practice using this. I just taught a friend a couple months ago, and it took her about two minutes to get the hang of it.

Dh and I have snorkeled before, w/o life vests; our ds's (who will be 9 and almost 6) have never snorkeled at all. I've read about the vests they have available at CC. But what about at other places? Will it be easy enough for our boys to snorkel w/o vests, or will vests be available (and if so, for free or for a charge?). We plan to bring our own equipment.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter