Leave or take?

we have a trip booked for this upcoming November, we booked our flight and resort already, we found out yesterday that we're expecting and my due date is about 5 days before we're supposed to be leaving, we were able to switch our resort dates to mid December, our plane tickets are non refundable so we had no other choice but to push it back to a later date, and pay a penalty fee of changing the flight, baby will be a month old or so, I'm leaning towards leaving him/her with my mom during the trip, but I feel so guilty knowing I'll leave a tiny baby behind :(

As long as everything goes as planned I think it's totally doable to take the baby, however if your mom's on board and you feel she's capable then I wouldn't feel bad for leaving the baby either - it'd probably be a nice break for everyone to be baby-free for a little bit. As far as you being ready or not...we took my 3rd at 7 weeks and I can remember at 2.5 weeks after i had her feeling like I could definitely do Disney at that time, so as long as no issues come up I wouldn't worry about that - and it's not like this is your first, so you know what you're in gor.

With WDW being an international destination, and people from other countries not having nearly the same immunizations that we have here in the US, no, I wouldn't be taking an unvaccinated infant to Disney.

Sounds like you decided to hold off on your trip. That's what I would have done too. At a month old, you don't know how recovered you will be. I have taken a two month old and felt comfortable doing so. Young babies are much easier than 3 years olds in Disney! Or two year olds or four year olds, etc). Going when baby is still portable and not walking is a great time.

Thank you for all the replies! We made the finally decision to push the trip to March, I'm still a little bit sad since DS keeps asking if we're back soon :(

We were planning a trip to drive across the country to Disneyland when I found out I was pregnant with my youngest. This had been a trip my boys had been promised and talked about for two years - canceling was not an option. But postponing was. My due date was the day we were set to arrive in Anaheim. She ended up being a preemie, so instead of May, we postponed our trip to the end of July. People called us crazy and told us to plan for next May, but I'm so glad we didn't. At four months old, she slept the entire trip - only waking up when we stopped every three hours for gas and I would change her and feed her and she'd go back to sleep. She was also old enough to smile at the characters and it was an amazing trip! Going when she was one would have been much tougher - out of any other age - she would've wanted to get out of her carseat much more, we would've had to bring things in the car to entertain her, snacks for the long drive there and back, frequent stops to let her run around. We took her on another cross country trip last year when she was two and that one was perfect too, since she was old enough to watch movies and explain to her that we would be in the car a lot.

I think pushing it back until March was the best thing for you to do. I know I'd never be able to leave a 1 month old baby for an extended period of time and I don't think any of my family would be willing to take on the task of waking up every 2 hours with a baby. But I also doubt I'd really even be up for travelling just 1 month after having a baby and I wouldn't want to have a baby that little out and about around that many people. But I think by pushing it until your baby is about 4 months is much more doable with bringing the new baby along. By that time you'll have more of a routine established and the baby will be at a better age to take along with you. And it will be great for your older kids to get a special vacation after adjusting to a new sibling. Congrats and have a great trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter