Leaving baby in room to nap? Thoughts and discussion!

kirby klopper

Earning My Ears
Hello All!

Thank you for all the helpful comments. New parents here. And thank you for all the judgmental ones.

❤️

Last edited:
Hello All!

We will have a 20 month old when we go on our cruise in January 23’. She will need at least one nap a day, has anyone left their child in the room to take a nap alone? If so, did you have a closed circuit camera that you could watch? Disney would probably be the only cruise line we would consider this.

If not, did you all just stay in the room with them?

Thank you!
I wouldn't leave a small child alone in a room onboard in any situation. As with walkie talkies, I highly doubt that closed circuit camera systems would work well onboard. Too much metal to beam through. I've read that those baby monitors (audio) don't work well, either.

No, I can't recommend leaving your precious baby alone in a cruise ship room for a significant amount of time. Being on the veranda is okay because you're right there and can see through the glass, but it sounds more like you're talking about exploring the ship while your baby is actually alone in the stateroom. I totally understand the longing to get away from baby duty for a while (single mom here), but that just isn't safe or responsible.

If your stateroom host entered and saw the baby unattended & noticed you'd been gone for a while (they take note of guests' comings & goings to time their cleanings), I wonder if they might even feel the need to report the matter to make sure the baby is protected, otherwise they and/or DCL might be liable.

Last edited:

Hello All!

We will have a 20 month old when we go on our cruise in January 23’. She will need at least one nap a day, has anyone left their child in the room to take a nap alone? If so, did you have a closed circuit camera that you could watch? Disney would probably be the only cruise line we would consider this.

If not, did you all just stay in the room with them?

Thank you!
Is this a joke?

DCL many not even allow this. When we took our granddaughter onboard without her parents (about the same age as your child) we just all went back to the cabin and hung out while she napped.

It would scare me to leave a child alone by themselves, especially if they woke up and you were not there they would be frightened in a new environment.......also in case of an emergency it would be so upsetting to be away from your child.

You and your husband could take turns getting out of the cabin while the little one naps.

Enjoy your cruise.

MJ

I think maybe you're kidding (??), but I'll answer anyway, in case you are serious. No, I would not leave my baby alone in a hotel room of any kind, ever, for any length of time. Too many people have access to that door, and as a previous poster said, a cast member entering your room would probably report an unattended baby.

A better idea for time to yourself would be to make use of the nursery, which has great accommodations for napping babies.

I think maybe you're kidding (??), but I'll answer anyway, in case you are serious. No, I would not leave my baby alone in a hotel room of any kind, ever, for any length of time. Too many people have access to that door, and as a previous poster said, a cast member entering your room would probably report an unattended baby.

A better idea for time to yourself would be to make use of the nursery, which has great accommodations for napping babies.
The nursery has been closed on our sailings in august and October, just FYI.

The nursery is closed, which is why some parents are feeling desperate for a baby break. It's like I said to the OP, I really do understand their longing. They want to be baby-free for awhile. All parents feel that way at times, and I'm sure it's been challenging having a baby at home throughout the pandemic. But it's a longing that a parent simply has to resist. This really isn't a good time to cruise with a baby: no nursery available, no Covid vaccinations available for babies, etc. They seem to want to enjoy adult time together on the cruise, but that just isn't possible for them right now unless they can pay for a nanny or doting relative to join them. They'll need to manage their expectations about what their cruise experience will be like.

Last edited:
Maybe the nursery will be open again by 2023. We used it when our babies were that age and it was wonderful. We would book them in there at nap time. There is a whole quiet room full of cribs. We would also book them in the evening. We would drop them off with a bottle and the staff would rock them to sleep. We could go explore the adult areas of the ship and then pick them up sleeping at the end of the night.

I don’t even leave my kid alone in a room at home.
This is a joke right?!? My kids used to take 2 - 2 hour naps plus sleep 12 hours at night, that’s 16 hours of sleep, I would get nothing accomplished if I was always in their room when they slept.

Reactions: Kae
This is a joke right?!? My kids used to take 2 - 2 hour naps plus sleep 12 hours at night, that’s 16 hours of sleep, I would get nothing accomplished if I was always in their room when they slept.
Babies sleep wherever you put them, including offices, cars, strollers, living rooms, back patios, front porches, kitchens, baby carriers…
If you’re trying to smelt something, maybe push the stroller back a bit, but otherwise sleeping babies make great office mates.

I am going to hope you are just a really young naive parent. It’s not a house - you cannot
Leave a child alone in your room on vacation. Ever. Leave them home with grandma and grandpa if you can.

my advice for for vacations is toss schedules
Out the window. Naps may or may not happen on the go. I was really scheduled but
On vacation went with flow. I read when baby is asleep with a reading light. My husband sleeps. It is what it is.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter