Leaving baby in room to nap? Thoughts and discussion!

Think of it this way, would you leave your baby in any other hotel room and go down the street to a cafe? I would hope not because that would be neglect. This is supposed to be a friendly, judgement free discussion board, but your question is very disturbing. This should be common sense.

It looks like OP retracted the question and I don’t mean to pile on, but I would just add on a positive note, you can still have a great cruise with long naps in the stateroom. Our son refused the nursery at that age, and we still had a blast. DH and I took turns staying in the room at naptime and after bedtime while the other went to a show, a spa treatment, adult pool etc. Only thing we had to cancel when it was clear nursery would not work was Palo, but we’ve been on subsequent cruises—as a reminder, it’s only a couple years until they are obsessed with the kids club and you’ll be begging them for family time! Plenty of time for date nights when the kiddo is a bit older.

My son is 17 years old, and I am still freaked out about leaving him alone. :rotfl2:

As my late husband advised, this phase (of the kid(s) being young) doesn’t last long and try to enjoy it. They really do grow up so fast, and one doesn’t want to risk a tragic situation where that doesn’t happen.

Personally ,would never. Way too Risky. And if Any cruise member entered ur room, you’d likely be facing Very Serious charges… neglect is no joke ( all hallways are Also on camera so Times of exit/entrances Are Documented.)

OP, ur little one can sleep Anywhere including that stroller ur likely bringing. Drape something over it to make it darker, heck.. bring a white noise machine if u need one and do the best u can.
Or, grab a nice glass of wine/coffee/smoothie, a magazine or book and take advantage of a balcony ( Only way to cruise lol)
Your little one will be rested and that makes for Happier times for All
Perhaps Start practicing now if ur concerned with a routine break. It’s just part n parcel of parenting…u got this!
Safe travels and Enjoy.

No. Just no.
If cast member finds child alone they are obligated to report neglect.

This.

And before anyone suggests "Just put the occupied sign on the door" that does not prevent entry by necessary crew (just like the sign does not prevent security checks in WDW - and other though they are not as transparent about it - hotels). ESPECIALLY should the toddler (because that is what a 20 month old is...toddler, not "baby") wake up and begin crying.

I would feel comfortable leaving a baby (under 1 year) napping while I showered, sat on the verandah, or went into the hall with my stateroom door always in view, but that is about it. When you go on your cruise in 2023 you will have a toddler--they are a completely different creature than a baby. Most only need one nap (they tend to switch from 12-15 months) and can run & climb. The pack n play provided in the stateroom will have lower sides than a crib set at the lowest setting at home. So, even if you don't have a climber at home (and I really hope you don't) your child may be tempted to try to climb out with the lower sides.

Please don't do this. Not with the risk. I think you may have your answer from the responses here. Just a bad idea

We took our baby carrier and wore him while on the ship and in ports. We also had a small stroller where he could nap on the go with us on the ship. We would also take turns staying with him in the room. Having a verandah is a must since the baby can nap while you relax with a glass of wine.

Please don't leave your child alone. I get it; I have three. One with special needs. Nothing about this sounds safe or a good idea.

This is a joke right?!? My kids used to take 2 - 2 hour naps plus sleep 12 hours at night, that’s 16 hours of sleep, I would get nothing accomplished if I was always in their room when they slept.

I stayed with my daughter when she napped, up until she stopped napping. And for not one second have I ever ever looked back and said, "gee, I sure wish I spent less time cuddling my baby and more time cleaning bathrooms."

I am not judging you but let me tell you a freak thing that happened on one of our cruises a few years ago.
We left the room for the evening, I ran back to grab my sweater, the door would not unlock. My husband came tried his key, nope.
Went down to GS they issued me a new key, still didn't work. The stateroom host tried his key and nothing. He said he thought the deadbolt was on and someone was in the room. We were both outside the room so that wasn't possible.
Security had to come down and it was whole thing.
They kept insisting someone was inside with the deadbolt on.
It took over an hour for them to get that door open.

Officers at our door, maintenance, it was nuts. They had no explanation as to why this happened.

NO! Wow...to even "think" about this! You did not need to tell us you were new "parents"...at least you thought to ask before you did it. Remember, your child relies on you so your own judgement will be the only one that he/she needs...you!

Last edited:
We cruised when my daughter was 18 months and my son was 4. I actually didn't mind the daily naps on the ship. So much so that I volunteered for in-room nap duty most days, lol. I would either sit outside on the verandah or hang out on the bed. I loved listening to audio books in either place. It was very relaxing and nice to get some quiet since vacations with kids can be so much go go go. My husband would take my son out of the room and do activities and take him to the kids club. A few times he came back with a plate of snacks and drinks from cove cafe for us to enjoy on verandah.

I stayed with my daughter when she napped, up until she stopped napping. And for not one second have I ever ever looked back and said, "gee, I sure wish I spent less time cuddling my baby and more time cleaning bathrooms."

I mean, who would want to clean bathrooms instead of nap? But, to quote Bandit Heeler, it's gotta be done.

I had 3 children under the age of 5. Noble idea, but physically and logistically impossible for me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter