Leaving in 10 days--any offsite tips for me?

Sher

Mouseketeer
This is our first time staying offsite. We are at the Hampton Inn Maingate West. Does anyone have any tips for having a great vacation staying offsite? I guess I am thinking about travel to and from the parks, parking, getting back to our car, using the hotel shuttles, arriving at the parks, exiting at park closing...stuff like that.

Any wisdom out there?

Sher

We will have our own car. We like to be at the parks as early as possible (always early entry day on past trips) so I'm not sure if the shuttles will work for us.

Sher

If you're staying until park closing, remember the last ride is at the stated closing time. That's not when you have to be OUT. Take your time leaving. We got something to eat at the Coca Cola Pavilllion on Main St right at closingand sat and had our food while watching the hordes of people streaming toward the exit. The we leisurley made our way to the monorail and hardly had to wait in line. Much less stressful. (We were there in Feb.)

Hi...we always stay offsite and with all the new entrances to Disney and the completion of the widening of 192 in and out of Disney is a breeze.....In fact I have said on these boards many times that you can get to your hotel or condo on 192 faster by private car than taking the Disney Bus system to an onsite hotel.....I can't beat the monorail to POLY or Contemporary or the GF, but I am not paying 2 to 300 a night either...so I would suggest car all the way, don't rely on the hotel shuttles as they are notoriously inconsistant.....and I am sure you know there is no more early entry..and plan extra time for security check....advice for security check...everybody in the group take a bag, or fanny pack or camera case or stroller only, so one person doesn't get stuck having to open and show more than one item...there is a line for "no bags" that goes quickly, but the person carrying more than one item will take much longer....so everybody grab one thing out of the stroller and take their turn...Ted

Greetings,
I would highly recommend that you avoid the hotel shuttles. Although, they are
free, you tie yourself to a schedule and there is no guarantee that you will get there when
the parks open which is what you want to do to optimize your time. The shuttles that
stop at most hotels in the area are not exclusive to that hotel, that is, they may make
stops at several hotels in route to and from the parks. I've gone that route once and
I would never do it again. By taking your own car you can set your own schedule and
pace. If you want to park hop on the same day you can park in the other Disney park
lots by showing the parking receipt from the first park you entered that day.
Do plan on arriving at the parks right when they open. You can often ride
your favorite rides multiple times before the crowds begin to develop.
Good luck with your planning.

Kevin ;)

just because it allows more flexibility in being able to keep your own schedule as far as coming and going when you please without any waiting; surely make a note of the specific section where your vehicle is parked. I definitely agree with tednvon commenting on the drive being a breeze because we always stay offsite as well; getting back to our resort right next door to WDW a lot faster than many friends/relatives who have gone and stayed onsite along with others I read about.

I think you are in for a pleasant surprise at how closely situated regarding the parks the offsite resort is and how amazingly quick everyone will be resting within your room in only a matter of minutes like alot of people who stay offsite for the very first time. Hope you have a great vacation.

We're staying at the Hotel Royal Plaza (March 26th-30th) in the Downtown Disney area. Any suggestions on what time we should leave our hotel in order to be at the parks in plenty of time for opening? We'll be doing the openings at MK, MGM and AK.

Thanks!

we usually keep a stocked cooler in the car (water, soda) and a few snacks - whenever we get back to the car someone is always hungry or in the orlando sun thirsty. makes the quick drive to our hotel very painless

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter