leaving next week.....what is up with the earthquakes?

KyMattDisney

Mouseketeer
All right I know CA is prone to earthquakes....but we leave a week from today and I am getting nervous...last year we went to WDW and we there in the week between the 2 major hurricanes...now all this earthquakes are popping up...........please calm my nerves!!!

thanks!!!

:confused3

I think we're just due for them. This area has to have them to reduce the stress in the earth, and we haven't had a good one for a few years - it's better to have all of these small ones.

Although you never know what is going to happen, this is normal for us.

I was thinking the same thing, KyMattDisney! :eek:

I hope all this seismic activity is over soon! Our trip is in 4 weeks.

Mary Jo is right--this is normal for us. We just haven't had much seismic activity of this size for a little while and two 5.0+ quakes in the space of a week have rattled some nerves (probably more nerves from people coming to visit than those of us who actually live here). S CA is rattled by small quakes everyday--it's just that most are very small and are centered away from populated areas, so they don't get talked about. Don't be worried or scared (at least no more than you should have been in the first place, since S CA is supposed to have a really big one with our name on it coming), these were just moderate quakes--big enough to get our attention, but not big enough to do much in the way of damage.

Mary Jo said:
I think we're just due for them. This area has to have them to reduce the stress in the earth, and we haven't had a good one for a few years - it's better to have all of these small ones.

Although you never know what is going to happen, this is normal for us.

Yup. :sunny:

I know that they are normal (I grew up in Simi Valley) and have lived through my share of major quakes, like the Sylmar one back in the early 70's. It's one of the reasons I left CA. Now we're heading out there for a 3-week stay and, well, I just can't think about them.

I look at quakes the same way I do about getting onto an airplane. I hate flying, but you gotta do it to get where you want to go. If you go to CA, you gotta deal with the quakes! :confused3 Oh well...

Just call me a whimp! :rotfl2:

The center of the recent earthquakes aren't very close to Disney, so the impact is really not that bad. The 5.6 that we had the other day (Sunday, I believe) was centered in Anza was just slightly intense by my house, although it was over fairly quickly. That's only because I live a lot closer to the epicenter, much closer than Anaheim is to it and my friends that live out there said it wasn't bad at all (even the ones that do not like earthquakes). The one we had yesterday that was centered in Yucaipa (also fairly far from Disney) happened while I was at work here in Brea (very close to Disney) and it was pretty tame.

I really don't think it's anything to get too stressed over. Like Mary Jo said, it's better to have a few little ones as opposed to one giant one. It's nothing we can really control, either. So just enjoy your trip and try to not let it bother you as much as possible.

:earsgirl:

KyMattDisney said:
All right I know CA is prone to earthquakes....but we leave a week from today and I am getting nervous...last year we went to WDW and we there in the week between the 2 major hurricanes...now all this earthquakes are popping up...........please calm my nerves!!!
Can't calm your nerves except to say the statistics are in your favor - large quakes happen rarely. The one yesterday was close to where I grew up.

FYI, I heard they closed down many rides at DL after the quake. I think it was POTC, HM, BTMRR, and a few more. Apparently the quakes set off automatic alarms, and the rides are turned off until inspections are performed.

Just keep in mind that if you are going to experience an earthquake somewhere - CA is the best prepared place to experience it! The buildings, roads, amusement parks, etc are so overly earthquake safe - property damage, injury, or loss of life take a VERY large earthquake centered in the cities. These little ones are really a good thing - let off the stress without a big one hitting. Don't stress - if one hits - it'll probably be a small one that you can report you were able to feel it in your trip report! :flower:

If there is one while you are here, just think of it as another E-Ticket ride.

Techincally, though it wasn't felt in the area, the quake off of Eureka was a Major (7.1 I think) quake in the past week in California and it did set off Tsunami alerts from Vancouver Island to Baja California. The Tsunami was 1 inch tall at San Francisco, but still...

Think about it this way, East of the Rockies you have the super Volcano under Yellowstone and the New Madrid Fault and Tornado Alley, Volcanos in Oregon, Washington and Idaho. Living in the United States = Living with natural disaster. Don't let it Paralyze you.

Feeling a little anxious, also. I guess that it is fear of the unknown. I'm trying to take my mind off of this, but of course they have been running earthquake stories all week. :sad2:

Eeek, Im a little bit worried now. I know that its normal and all for CA but my mom and sister saw on World News that THE big one may come very very soon, and that they were talking about emergency evacuations, I guess a small one wouldnt bother me toooo much, but I really dont think I could handle a massive one. :sad1: :scared1: :faint: :eek: :crazy2: :sad:

We get a couple of moderate quakes and of course the news will run stories like that--happens every time. You can't predict earthquakes; any seismologist will tell you that. Everytime they try nothing happens.

The earthquakes wouldn't even have made the news had there been a 'good' police chase or celebrity arrest to report about. It's California, earthquakes happen all day, everday. Don't let yourself get freaked out about it. It's honestly NO big deal at all.

chibichibirei said:
I know that its normal and all for CA but my mom and sister saw on World News that THE big one may come very very soon,

Honestly, they've been saying that for decades. I'm the biggest earthquake wimp in the world and although we don't know what will happen with Mother Nature, we just gotta go on living our lives. At DL, of course!! :goodvibes

MateasMom said:
The earthquakes wouldn't even have made the news had there been a 'good' police chase or celebrity arrest to report about. It's California, earthquakes happen all day, everday. Don't let yourself get freaked out about it. It's honestly NO big deal at all.

Exactly. If the Michael Jackson verdict had taken place on that Sunday, we would have never heard much of a mention of the 5.2 quake. (originally 5.6 but downgraded)
For those that worry, this is just a normal cluster of quakes. someday, the big one will hit just as some day the world will end. In the meantime, enjoy your life and don't let it rule your life.

Ok thats good to know, and makes complete sense about only being on the news because nothing as exciting as the Jaco trial verdit. :rotfl2:

For some reason the quake got a lot of play in the local news. there must not have been much going on that day. There have been larger quakes that have not recieved nearly that much attention. For us it was no big deal. The windows rattled and the ground shook for a few seconds. My parents honestly thought it was a large truck passing by.

I am personally much more frightened of tornadoes. Those seem much worse than quakes. But of course I have never expereinced one.

Melissa

After our recent DL visit, we drove to Las Vegas and left California on the 9th. After telling my family about the first quake, all of them were disappointed that we "missed" experiencing a quake while we were there :blush: !!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter