Leaving one kid at home and bringing other on cruise? Would you?

We often traveled without taking the children but it can be hard for them to understand how long you will be gone and when you will be back. Time is not one of their strong points as I'm sure you are aware.

What I did was get a bag of chocolate Kisses. I sat down with each child and explained that mommy and daddy were going on a trip and would be back in x number of days. I would count out x number of kisses with the child and then would actually kiss the bottom of each one in front of them. I explained that each night the child could eat one just before bed and since mommy would not be their to kiss them personally they should think of this as mommys kiss good night. I explained that if they did as I said and only had one kiss each night when they ate the last one they would know when they woke up, that would be the day mommy and daddy were coming home.
Its just a good way for them to be able to understand when you will be back and that you did not dessert them. Its a treat for them to look forward to each night and not forget that they are loved.

Just a silly thing I did but I have suggested it to several friends who used it as well. Thought I would mention it.

Just love this - Thanks so much

QUOTE="wombat_5606, post: 56233889, member: 115873"]We took our 2 1/2 year granddaughter and I think it wasn't my best decision. Now, don't get me wrong, we were on a Disney cruise and how can that not be fun, but.....

It just depends on the temperament of your child. My granddaughter is a very agreeable child with endless energy.

So as long as she could move around a little while waiting for the characters, she absolutely loved meeting and interacting with them. She had a fantastic time at Castaway Cay until it was apparent she needed a nap she didn't want to take. She couldn't sit still for the entire meal in the MDR, so someone always left early with her and that same scenario played out each time we tried the show. Luckily, Oma has been on several Disney cruises, so I was usually happy to take her out.

The first day using the Nemo Reef, some older child squirted the water feature right in her face, which she didn't like (and I'm sure didn't feel good). So, no more visiting that attraction for the length of the cruise! There is a new(?) rule that this area is only for 3 and younger and if that is enforced, it would be so nice. I fear that when the pools are shut down for cleaning, that the older kids will just head here.

Also, we didn't get to use the nursery. She developed a rash and we opted to not take any chances.

My granddaughter was unusually fussy on this trip and my daughter talked to other parents with young children who said their children were the same. I don't know if she was overtired, overstimulated, or suffered from some effect from the motion of the ocean.

So I'm sure you can have lots of fun as long as you don't go into the trip with just pixie dust in your eyes. Just be realistic. If your child is still taking a long nap and going to bed early, I'm not sure I'd do it, unless I had older children and there was no other way/time to cruise. Just MY opinion.[/QUOTE]
A

We often traveled without taking the children but it can be hard for them to understand how long you will be gone and when you will be back. Time is not one of their strong points as I'm sure you are aware.

What I did was get a bag of chocolate Kisses. I sat down with each child and explained that mommy and daddy were going on a trip and would be back in x number of days. I would count out x number of kisses with the child and then would actually kiss the bottom of each one in front of them. I explained that each night the child could eat one just before bed and since mommy would not be their to kiss them personally they should think of this as mommys kiss good night. I explained that if they did as I said and only had one kiss each night when they ate the last one they would know when they woke up, that would be the day mommy and daddy were coming home.
Its just a good way for them to be able to understand when you will be back and that you did not dessert them. Its a treat for them to look forward to each night and not forget that they are loved.

Just a silly thing I did but I have suggested it to several friends who used it as well. Thought I would mention it.

Just brilliant! :thumbsup2

QUOTE="wombat_5606, post: 56233889, member: 115873"]We took our 2 1/2 year granddaughter and I think it wasn't my best decision. Now, don't get me wrong, we were on a Disney cruise and how can that not be fun, but.....

It just depends on the temperament of your child. My granddaughter is a very agreeable child with endless energy.

So as long as she could move around a little while waiting for the characters, she absolutely loved meeting and interacting with them. She had a fantastic time at Castaway Cay until it was apparent she needed a nap she didn't want to take. She couldn't sit still for the entire meal in the MDR, so someone always left early with her and that same scenario played out each time we tried the show. Luckily, Oma has been on several Disney cruises, so I was usually happy to take her out.

The first day using the Nemo Reef, some older child squirted the water feature right in her face, which she didn't like (and I'm sure didn't feel good). So, no more visiting that attraction for the length of the cruise! There is a new(?) rule that this area is only for 3 and younger and if that is enforced, it would be so nice. I fear that when the pools are shut down for cleaning, that the older kids will just head here.

Also, we didn't get to use the nursery. She developed a rash and we opted to not take any chances.

My granddaughter was unusually fussy on this trip and my daughter talked to other parents with young children who said their children were the same. I don't know if she was overtired, overstimulated, or suffered from some effect from the motion of the ocean.

So I'm sure you can have lots of fun as long as you don't go into the trip with just pixie dust in your eyes. Just be realistic. If your child is still taking a long nap and going to bed early, I'm not sure I'd do it, unless I had older children and there was no other way/time to cruise. Just MY opinion.
A[/QUOTE]
I think my husband is the one with pixie dust syndrome. He works a lot and isn't a witness to some of her serious meltdowns. Last week my mother had to take her out of church because she got very upset when on the last night of vacation Bible school , the kids were seated in a different area because parents were there. It was different from what she was used to. Where can you take them when you're on a cruise and out at sea if this happens? You're stuck. Thanks to the one who started this thread and to everyone who is sharing their experience. I'm gonna let DH read them tonight and we will reassess.

I think my husband is the one with pixie dust syndrome. He works a lot and isn't a witness to some of her serious meltdowns. Last week my mother had to take her out of church because she got very upset when on the last night of vacation Bible school , the kids were seated in a different area because parents were there. It was different from what she was used to. Where can you take them when you're on a cruise and out at sea if this happens? You're stuck. Thanks to the one who started this thread and to everyone who is sharing their experience. I'm gonna let DH read them tonight and we will reassess.[/QUOTE]

Well, Chandra, I will say if your child is having a meltdown somewhere, you aren't going to be alone! When my girls got older and we left WDW they started to tell me that they were relieved we were going home....they'd had enough of crying babies! Lol

You can always take them to your cabin and sometimes that can be a loooooong walk back there. But a lot of times once you remove them from the immediate vicinity, they calm down and there are lots of nooks and crannies. It will be fine, you just should be prepared.

I'm sure you will make the right decision for your family!

So why a Disney cruise?

I think if you go feeling any small amount of guilt (not that you should but feelings aren't logical), it will be easily amplified seeing a bunch of little girls running around in princess dresses or seeing another kid at the next table have their server amaze them with a magic trick.

Cruising on a more adult oriented line (even with a baby) may provide you with a good alternative with less built in guilt.

I agree 110% with Ofinn. Go and enjoy your vacation, you'll be better parents when you come back relaxed and ready to make some special memories at home.

If this will be a refreshing time for you and DH (even with a baby), then do it. How much do you remember from that age? If the fact she isn't being taken on a Disney cruise isn't reinforced then I doubt it will be a blip on her radar in the long term. That said, if you walk around and deny yourself pleasure while on the cruise "because she isn't with us" (sorry, quoting friends of mine who refused to ride any rides when at Disney World) then it defeats the purpose. So go and have fun. If you can't have fun, then what's the point of going?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter