Leaving park to eat...good idea or no?

Do you plan on watching the shows and riding most of the big stuff? If so, then you will need at least one full day in each park. Even AK is impossible to work in the Lion King and Nemo shows, along with all the rides when taking 2-3 hour meal breaks. Also, the park is huge with a ton of walking. My family would strenuously object to walking from Africa or Asia, all the way out the front of the park and around to the busses, then back in again after lunch. Easily adds 2 miles of walking to our regular 10+ mile days. Many new guest underestimate the time and energy required to get between the different resorts. For a 1:25 reservation at Sanaa, I would recommend beginning the walk out of AK no later than 12:30 and plan the next Fastpass after 3:30. None of the restaurants are that much better. We'd rather eat in the park and ride the safari to see the animals.

We prioritize parks over dining and try to find meals that fit with our entertainment plans. We save hotel meals for breakfast and dinner, on our way into or out of the parks. For decent food in the parks, we like Hollywood Brown Derby at HS, and lots of options in EP. AK we usually quick service at Satuli or Yak n Yeti. Tusker House is a good character experience with a decent buffet as well. For your fist trip, I recommend trying to schedule meals close to where you plan to already be.

Agree here with most of the responses. Don’t go too far out of the way.
As for a meal at AKL on your AK day, although it’s not necessary to leave AK for good food, I think it would make a nice break and the AKL lobby and animal viewing areas are well worth a visit.

This may have been stated elsewhere but remember Sanaa is not in the AKL but in Kidani Village which is NOT attached to the AKL, It's a completely different building. I LOVE Sanaa but would not leave AK to eat there. It will take a lot of time out of your AK day and for a first timer I don't think it's worth it. As others have said, you will see the same, if not more, animals on the safari. Moreover, if you don't get a table by the window at Sanaa you won't have a great view of the animals and you may not want to wait for the window seat if it's too long because it's more time you're missing at AK. As for food at AK Tiffin's is wonderful as is Yak and Yeti. Tiffin's is quiet so I like that break from the park craziness. I like getting a drink, or two, in the Nomad Lounge (which is also nice and relaxing) and then having a leisurely meal at Tiffins. It's just too much work to leave AK for a meal in the middle of the day, you'll see what I mean once you go.

Last edited:
There is something very restful about leaving the parks in the afternoon, even if it's just for a meal. I very much recommend it. If you are on a short trip you just need to be realistic and know you aren't going to experience everything a park has to offer.

Your AK - Sanaa plan sounds great. On your DHS day I would consider something in the boardwalk area. Epcot is the one park I probably wouldn't leave for a dining experience.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter