Legendary Disney Imagineer Joe Rohde Retiring

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lighthouse point will now be Motunui island from Moana. Animal kingdom will now add Zootopia...bathrooms.
I know this is sarcasm but I certainly hope not with Zootopia.

As for the island that is far more complicated.

I don't think he means anything specific, just that if he sticks around there definitely will be something that comes up and he'll feel the pressure to stay.
Exactly, once he gets too far into a project its hard to leave that. These massive projects take years of development and construction. Something like Pandora took 8-9 years.

Sure but previously it didn’t seem he was intent on slowing down. I think we had some expectation he was remaining for a while given the lighthouse point project.

I am wondering if with Covid and the impact on the cruise line especially it pushed back the timeline on the Lighthouse project by quite a bit and that was part of why he is walking away. In his instagram post he mentioned how if he didn't leave now he would start on another big project and by the time that was over he would be "old" - I am wondering if he saw "well, now this think might not even really start for 3-5 years - do I really want to wait around and then be tied to that until I am 75+?"

Artists rarely walk away from their artform unless forced to by circumstances. Art is one of those things if you win the powerball you say wow I won and are back in the studio the next day working on completing your current project. Art comes from the soul and demands expression I know many artists in their 70-90's some of them are fitter and more active than I and some struggle with a walker to get to their studios but they are all in their studios creating joy and beauty themselves and others.

But if you read his own Instagram post, it doesn’t sound like he’s walking away from his art form. He’s an artist through and through, outside of Disney stuff. He will continue to research and think and create. Down the road, I could see him consult as other retired imagineers have done. Maybe, maybe not.

It makes perfect sense. He’s of retirement age, we’re in the thick of a pandemic, and the next big Joe Rohde-type project likely wouldn’t come to life for years. I don’t think he originally planned to step away right now - he even said that given the world situation right now, he thought he could step away more quietly.

And also, he’s worked there for 40 years. 40! Since he was 25 years old. His entire professional career. I think he’s going out on a great note, because who knows what the big Disney future plans are. There’s so much uncertainty in the world right now. The time does seem right for him to step away, even if I absolutely hate that it is happening.

He has brought so many incredible experiences to life and I am so thankful to him for all the time he spent to make that happen.

Now how long before he gets a window and/or a legend award? The man is certainly more than deserving of both.

I would be shocked if he isnt' namde a Disney Legend at the next ceremony.

As for the windows, not sure if at this point there are politics in play in who gets one - but agree that he certainly deserves one. Be funny if they play off his earing and say it is for a jewelry store or something ... though a travel agency or something like that might be more appropriate

heck, maybe start something new and name something after him at Animal Kingdom

I wonder if in 5 years Disney comes to him with an idea that only he could make reality if he could be coaxed out of retirement for a project. Im hopeful Mission Breakout/Lighthouse Point wasn’t the last we see of his touches

But man does this one hurt. As with many others, he’s a big reason for the love I have for Disney. The idea of Animal Kingdom is probably nothing more than a zoo without him. The beauty of Pandora. Even Mission Breakout. I’ll never forget the feeling I had when we pulled up to Aulani the incredible theming throughout that entire resort just slaps you in the face.

If this is it for him, we’ve lost the 2nd most famous ears in Disney history, and that makes me sad

Now how long before he gets a window and/or a legend award? The man is certainly more than deserving of both.

Absolutely. If it was up to me he would have a window within the week.

The Norway Pavilion and Adventurers Club alone would have been an impressive legacy.

But this dude created what is maybe the most beautiful, most cohesive, and overall most impressive theme park on the planet with Disney's Animal Kingdom. And he didn't just stop at its initial creation... he headed the expansions of Expedition Everest, and Harambe Market, and a little place called Pandora.

He is the single greatest Imagineer since those who worked directly with Walt. I have nothing but gratitude for all the joy he has brought into my life.

I'm not even sad he's retiring. He's earned it.

I'm sorry but I think Disney forced him out. True he's at an age where he's accomplished a lot & he's already an Imagineering legend like Sklar, Gurr, Baxter, etc. But with Disney laying people off, I wouldn't be surprised if they gave him a severance, pension, whatever money to leave. I still wish him the best but I feel strongly that this was forced on him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter