Legendary Disney Imagineer Joe Rohde Retiring

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is how I am trying to feel ... like, I obviously want him to keep designing things for Disney, but it also makes me feel selfish - and rather just be happy we got 40 years!
I don't disagree but my worry is this is an excuse for Disney to change things he's done. Mainly pushing more and more IP into AK, something he has kept out for the most part except for where it fits well.

Such a brilliant mind. So grateful he shared it with all of us. Looking forward to following him on social media to see where else he applies his talents.

I guess Disney corporate's hostility to creatives just became too much to bear.

I hope he finds a new gig where his incredible talents are appreciated.

I feel like this is making a whole island-load of assumptions about the circumstances that we can not say with any certainty. Joe has a LOT of clout in Disney and he will still likely be consulting. I tend to take him at his word (because I am totally the same way at my company) that with COVID pushing Lighthouse Point off he just doesn't want another 10 year gig and be pushing 50 years with them and 75 before he gets a chance to pursue his other plans.

I don't disagree but my worry is this is an excuse for Disney to change things he's done. Mainly pushing more and more IP into AK, something he has kept out for the most part except for where it fits well.
I’m generally an optimist (and I really don’t think Disney could ever do too much damage to DAK, so much of him is engrained into literally every element of that park), but I will say that even with him there, that hasn’t always stopped them from trying, even early on. Case in point: Mickey’s Jammin’ Jungle Parade. The man intentionally designed the park from the outset so it couldn’t host a typical Disney parade but Disney found a way (at least for a few years).

I’m generally an optimist (and I really don’t think Disney could ever do too much damage to DAK, so much of him is engrained into literally every element of that park), but I will say that even with him there, that hasn’t always stopped them from trying, even early on. Case in point: Mickey’s Jammin’ Jungle Parade. The man intentionally designed the park from the outset so it couldn’t host a typical Disney parade but Disney found a way (at least for a few years).
That was a great parade though IMO. Rivers of Light was originally supposed to be a parade too.

My biggest worry is something like Zootopia which doesn't fit being put in the park. AK has such a strong theme. Pandora was woven into that so well by the brilliance of Joe and James Cameron.

Now how long before he gets a window and/or a legend award? The man is certainly more than deserving of both.
I think they need to put it in Everest. Honestly, as much as having it on Main St makes sense, I feel like it should go somewhere in AK.

I think they need to put it in Everest. Honestly, as much as having it on Main St makes sense, I feel like it should go somewhere in AK.
Joe is sort of immortalized in a few places at AK. Three places inside Pandora for sure.

It’s interesting timing that he began his eBay “rohde garage sale” last week to sell some artifacts and is retiring this week.
It could mean downsizing for retirement, or does it mean something else?

Had not heard about his eBay sales. Do you know the seller name he has stuff listed under?

I feel like this is making a whole island-load of assumptions about the circumstances that we can not say with any certainty. Joe has a LOT of clout in Disney and he will still likely be consulting. I tend to take him at his word (because I am totally the same way at my company) that with COVID pushing Lighthouse Point off he just doesn't want another 10 year gig and be pushing 50 years with them and 75 before he gets a chance to pursue his other plans.
Igers outright hostility to creatives was demonstrated by driving out Lasseter, while allowing those who had done far worse to stay.

the extent of Joe’s clout is that he got to leave on his own terms, While Iger is there there will be no Window on Main St, or elevation to ‘Disney Legend’ status. Creatives need to know ‘their place’ and at all times use the ‘poor door’ to enter and exit the facility

Igers outright hostility to creatives was demonstrated by driving out Lasseter, while allowing those who had done far worse to stay.

the extent of Joe’s clout is that he got to leave on his own terms, While Iger is there there will be no Window on Main St, or elevation to ‘Disney Legend’ status. Creatives need to know ‘their place’ and at all times use the ‘poor door’ to enter and exit the facility
Good grief.

Examples of these much worse people please.

As for creatives if that was the case Iger would’ve driven Rohde out and many others in one of the other previous layoffs or restructurings.

Iger has allowed plenty “creatives” legend status.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter