• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Legendary Disney Imagineer Joe Rohde Retiring

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow. Just amazed at all the great stuff Joe has created for us Disney fans.

Also amazed at how much gloom and doom us Disney fans have for a future without Joe.

Doom and gloom are based on Joe was the last of the ‘real’ imagineers at Disney. Now kicked to the curb like Eddie Sotto, Tony Baxter masters of using the physical environment to tell a story

The next guy will probably have an MBA and command of all the latest buzzwords but be utterly incapable of creating anything other than a excel spreadsheet.

where is the next Mary Blair or Joe Rohde coming from in the Disney pipeline. When all of Disney’s new hires are b school grads

Last edited:
Doom and gloom are based on Joe was the last of the ‘real’ imagineers at Disney. Now kicked to the curb like Eddie Sotto, Tony Baxter masters of using the physical environment to tell a story

The next guy will probably have an MBA and command of all the latest buzzwords but be utterly incapable of creating anything other than a excel spreadsheet.

where is the next Mary Blair or Joe Rohde coming from in the Disney pipeline. When all of Disney’s new hires are b school grads

I believe Grant Imahara was proabably lining up to fill that role based on his work for the Marvel animatronics. His death is really a huge loss all around.

I believe Grant Imahara was proabably lining up to fill that role based on his work for the Marvel animatronics. His death is really a huge loss all around.

I really enjoyed watching Grant on Mythbusters, you are correct he left us far too soon. But I doubt Grant had a chance at Todays Disney because he was not a corporate tool.

Under previous Disney management teams the questions for Grant would have been ‘when do you start, and btw what do you want to get paid’

the new head of imagineering will be all about his experience in capital allocation and task offshoring and thinks artists should’get a real job’. And of course a shiny MBA from Harvard, UofC,Wharton or Stanford

I really enjoyed watching Grant on Mythbusters, you are correct he left us far too soon. But I doubt Grant had a chance at Todays Disney because he was not a corporate tool.

Under previous Disney management teams the questions for Grant would have been ‘when do you start, and btw what do you want to get paid’

the new head of imagineering will be all about his experience in capital allocation and task offshoring and thinks artists should’get a real job’. And of course a shiny MBA from Harvard, UofC,Wharton or Stanford
I take it you don’t know much about Bob Weis.

This is bizarre. Wasn't there also a former Disney executive that headed this up for a while?

It is Michael Colglazier, former President of DL. I don't think it's that bizarre given the connection. As far as the general business side of Virgin Galactic ...people are going to be paying to go into space. Personally, I don't have the cash for it but apparently a lot of people do. I think Joe probably has the vision to help a Company whose ideas are far-reaching ...and hard to accept as reasonable, for the average person. DaVinci documented his vision for flight 400-500 years before it happened ...and it was a crazy idea back then. This is no more or less unusual.....

It is Michael Colglazier, former President of DL. I don't think it's that bizarre given the connection. As far as the general business side of Virgin Galactic ...people are going to be paying to go into space. Personally, I don't have the cash for it but apparently a lot of people do. I think Joe probably has the vision to help a Company whose ideas are far-reaching ...and hard to accept as reasonable, for the average person. DaVinci documented his vision for flight 400-500 years before it happened ...and it was a crazy idea back then. This is no more or less unusual.....
Maybe Joe can design a "space elevator". Maybe have lunch/dinner available at the top. Virgin Galatic's version may be open before EP's! 🦆

And there's also another former Imagineer with VG...apparently they are looking to recreate the park experience in space.

Reactions: GAN
The company I work for has kind of a cool tie-in. One of our business units built the planes that will take those spaceships into space, and they built the spaceships, too, for Virgin Galactic. I got to tour one of the buildings and saw the aircraft. So, of course, I paid attention when I heard that this genius was now going to work for Virgin Galactic.

560021 560022 560023

The company I work for has kind of a cool tie-in. One of our business units built the planes that will take those spaceships into space, and they built the spaceships, too, for Virgin Galactic. I got to tour one of the buildings and saw the aircraft. So, of course, I paid attention when I heard that this genius was now going to work for Virgin Galactic.

View attachment 560021 View attachment 560022 View attachment 560023

Can't imagine what Joe will accomplish here but given his track record it will be mind blowing, Good to see he landed at a company which appreciates and rewards creativity, What people forget is Joe is a master of the user experience and transporting you to another place. Just look what a seamless user experience AK is, now imagine what Joe will do for Virgin Galactic. I expect Joe's second act to be more amazing than his first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter