LegoLand , is it worth it?

imamicki2

Mouseketeer
We are going to Ca. in June. My DS loves Legos and mentioned he wanted to go. Should we spend our money on it and a day? We are probably going to buy Cal. City Pass. ALready doing a lot with that. Need some opinions on L. land though.
THanks

We went 3 yrs ago when my dd was 3 and had a lot of fun but there were a couple rides she wasn't big enough for. How old is he? IMO it's probably best for kids ages 3-10. The miniland is awesome and HUGE! I would definately recommend it to any Lego fan or child under 10ish.

Yes.. Yes YES.. if your DS is into Legos.. it is wonderful.. my kids loved it and did not want to go anywhere else besides Disney and LegoLand...

Took my 4 year old daughter there last year and she loved it. Only one ride she wasn't big enough for (or brave enough) We had a great time. This year we are trying DL because we had so much fun at lego land.

Go once for sure. It is a 'must see!'
Legoland is a wonderful place for the young ones, say 3-8 yrs maybe to 10 if there is a younger sibling. A couple of the rides have some thrill but the rest are slow, interesting, and fun to little ones. There is a car track...one for 3-5 and one for 5+ where they get to drive around a track...great for experienced "power wheels" drivers. There are a couple boat/water rides where they also drive around in the water. There are a couple rides that just take you around well landscaped areas with lots of hidden and not so hidden lego creatures in the trees and bushes. A few other almost carnival style rides.
The most fasinating part of the place for adults is the "miniland" where there are cityscapes of cities you will recognize (LA, SF, NY...) that are so incredibly detailed...made of all legos, of course. There is an area where they can get wet too! Be prepared! (fountains n-stuff.)
It has been almost 3 years since I was there and I remember so much detail...because it was so colorful and fun. There may be new and better things there now!
If you go, however, go before DL! It is good after Sea World or Zoo but not as exciting as DL.
We are going again in June with DD8 and DS4. I suspect it will be the last time we add it to our So. Cal. vacation itinerary as the kids will be older next time.
Go, you won't regret it!:goodvibes

YES! If your ds loves Legos definitely go. My ds 9 is a huge Lego fan and he loves Legoland. They have a class for older kids (I think 9 and older) that he was able to take while we were there. I do agree that much of the park is geared for the 3-8 age group but there are things for older kids who love legos too (like the class, the shows, and some of the roller coasters).

"Legoland, is it worth it?"

NO! :sad2: That's the quick answer....here's why:
1. They charge you an arm and a leg to get in the door. Price is too high.
2. After DL, it's a big let down as there are not alot of rides (we rode everything there in half a day).
3. While the first few Lego models are kinda cute, even my big Lego nut kid got bored looking at Lego buildings.
4. The whole place is set up to sell you...surprise...more Legos to take home...so w/a Lego nut you will end up taking home lots of full-priced Lego kits that you can get cheaper at Target at home.
5. Food was less than spectacular and it's in the middle of nowhere so you can't just leave for lunch. At least "apple fries" were OK.

That said, here are the positives:
1. Several rides are "kid powered" so unlike Disney, there is some creative engagement in the park
2. Each ride has Lego play area for kids while you wait in line (my kids only went once as it was pretty crowded and behavior of some in this area was BAD)
3. We have lots of pics of kids w/Lego models they would never have seen otherwise.
4. Once you go, you can mark it off the list of "have to do" and call it "done" and never have to do it again! ::yes::

If you are doing CityPass, I would not add Legoland on unless you do it before all the other stuff as it won't be anything like Knotts, DL or SeaWorld!

oohhh boy, now I am not sure. My DS is 13 1/2! My other DS is 8. I have a feeling although they love legos, this may not be for them.
Thank you all for the insight.
We will put it on the list if we have extra money to blow.......(will never happen).
Thanks!

Yea, your 13.5 yr old has definately passed the prime age for Legoland! And your 8 yr old may not even like it much if he's into thrill rides and roller coasters. I'd skip it.

imamicki2 said:
oohhh boy, now I am not sure. My DS is 13 1/2! My other DS is 8. I have a feeling although they love legos, this may not be for them.
We will put it on the list if we have extra money to blow.......(will never happen).
Thanks!

imamicki2 said:
Thanks!
Since your kids are a bit older, I'm not sure if they would find the enjoyment as toddlers would. As others have mentioned, it is geared towards the younger kids, although they have a couple of rides that your kids may enjoy. Since you're using the City Pass, it's nice to at least check out for a day. We recently came back from there for my DS's 6th birthday. He's the one pictured in my signature. He had a lot of fun but again, he is a couple of years younger than your kids.

BTW, for what it's worth, I think the park is terrific. The Miniland display is awesome, the food was good(but I'm not a picky eater), and it wasn't crowded.

With a 13.5 and 8 year old, I would say no way...my kids were 4 and 8 last year and 8 year old was almost too big for the park (and he's the Lego nut)!

Since it would cost you over $200 to get in to Legoland for the day, I would recommend saving that money and going to either the SanDiego Zoo (don't know if that is on citypass or not) or the Balboa Park museums (or both actually for that price!).

Have fun! :3dglasses

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter