Legos - Adults

OrangeBirdGirl

DIS Veteran
Anyone else here love building legos but don't have kids? DH has been doing some sets over the years then in 2020 I bought the Disney castle and that was my first set. Now I'm enjoying it as well. The only downside is what to do with all these built sets? We live in an area with basements so thankfully we have a finished basement so they're all displayed down there, but we'll run out of room eventually. I just ordered the "Holiday Main Street" set. So now my plan with that is start the build and display the little setup for the holidays. Then after Christmas, I will take it apart and rebuild again next year.

For those of you that have taken apart do you just take apart and put in the box? I'm wondering if working backwards in the book and bagging each group of pieces would make it easiest for next year?

I don't have an answer for you, but I am an adult who just bought my first ever Lego set, the Disney mini castle. And I can see the addiction! I definitely want more but I live in an apartment with no place to store multiple Lego sets. I really want some of the Harry Potter ones and the Friends one in addition to the Disney ones.

My husband has been collecting Lego Harry Potter for years. All mint in box (not opened). He won't open the box or put the LEGO together. My daughter enjoys LEGO very much and is very good at it. She will only build the big sets, like the Disney Castle, Ninjago, the roller coaster, etc. Just bought the Dr. Strange one today. All in our basement put together.

Oh boy, this is my entire life. You should see my house. Lego sets on literally every surface. They are going to swallow us whole. Our skeletons will be found among the bricks.

I have no advice from you other than invest in a lot of Ikea display cases. Luckily you have a basement. We don't.

I built the Disney castle a few years ago and I had a cabinet build with a remote-control turntable and lights. There's a door on the side so I can get to the castle if I want to or need to. I keep it in my office that is Disney themed, so it fits right in. I really enjoyed building it and would love to build the train station, but I don't know where I would put it.

My first Lego was the Statue of Liberty, I love the Statue of Liberty in real life, so this was a fun build. It's really interesting to see how they go together with all the internal support just like a real building.

My second set was Steamboat Willie, that was fun to build, and I have that one in Disney office also.

The last set I built is Mickey and Minnie, they sit on a table that is in the bow window of my office. I'm sitting at my desk now and I just have to look up to see it and the outside.

Currently I'm waiting on display boxes from Wicked Brick for the three highlighted sets above. It will be easier to just dust a display box rather than trying to dust the actual Lego.

To the OP, I can't imagine working backwards and re-bagging each group of Lego blocks, that seems to me like it would be a very tedious task. The problem I see is that if you don't do it that way it would probably be very difficult to reassemble the Lego set. Good luck to you.

I don't have an answer for you, but I am an adult who just bought my first ever Lego set, the Disney mini castle. And I can see the addiction! I definitely want more but I live in an apartment with no place to store multiple Lego sets. I really want some of the Harry Potter ones and the Friends one in addition to the Disney ones.
I was about to mention the mini-castle. I don't have it, but it's a good option for those who don't want to go big on the huge one.

They just released a mini-Haunted Mansion with cast member too.

I do like Lego. There's lot of creative things adults build with these, and they come in handy for various projects. I have bought the generic block sets, as well as some regular sets, especially when on sale.

I love the Mandalorian stuff. I just got the new one with the modified-Naboo ship (Amazon may still be selling it for $10 off, if you check fast).

The one I currently want to snag is the new vintage-style Space set.
10497.png

We have both of these, naturally. The Haunted Mansion is already decorated for Halloween.
i love the Haunted Mansion, but would rather go for something more detailed. I saw a bootleg HM on Amazon once, can't find it anymore.
Speaking of Halloween and haunted houses, have you seen the Lego ornament set last year?
40493.jpg

I developed an adult obsession with building Lego sets; I never had them as a kid. We have multiple Ikea shelves set up to house them. I used to wonder if people visiting the house would think it was strange, but I recently decided I'd just let my freak flag fly, and I'm surprised at how many people think it's cool that we have them displayed! I did finally get so many that I decided the ones I cared less about (town buildings, Christmas sets that felt weird to have out all year) would be put away, and I'd only display and buy the ones I really care about (Harry Potter sets, Cinderella castle, etc.) The ones I put away I took apart just enough to fit them back in the boxes. There is one I regret putting away - the Monsters haunted house. I just asked my husband who has much better visual spatial skills than I do if he would be able to put it back together for me. He will be able to do that just by looking at it. I would probably have to take every bit of it apart in order to put it back together. There is no way I could do it without the instructions.

ETA - it would probably would make it easier to bag them as you take them apart, but I'm guessing it would also be very time consuming. I'd love to hear how that goes if you do it!

i love the Haunted Mansion, but would rather go for something more detailed. I saw a bootleg HM on Amazon once, can't find it anymore.
Speaking of Halloween and haunted houses, have you seen the Lego ornament set last year?
40493.jpg

Yeah, those are cool.

Oh boy, this is my entire life. You should see my house. Lego sets on literally every surface. They are going to swallow us whole. Our skeletons will be found among the bricks.

I have no advice from you other than invest in a lot of Ikea display cases. Luckily you have a basement. We don't.
What kind of IKEA do you have? We just got some Hemnes shelves after much debate.

We have adult Lego and kid Lego and teen Lego in our house. All the Lego. We like the modular expert builds, the buildings that can connect to each other. My teen likes the mega expensive sports car sets. My husband likes the big star wars ones but Lego has priced themselves out on those, much too expensive for us now. We have built in shelving in the basement for the modular ones, and just got some new shelves to build and display more.

We also have actual classic Lego, from my husbands childhood days. He was a space Lego collector, so of course has the new reimagined space craft. I myself did the Disney ones. The castle, steamboat and train set are on prominent display on our main floor. No idea our love of Disney and Lego here!

For the holiday displays, I take those apart in chunks every year, bag up the chunks and store them in storage bins. It's much easier to put the chunks back together quickly than rebuilding the whole set. We have such large holiday displays now that it's the only way. Otherwise, I'd have to start Halloween in July and then Christmas right after!

For everything else, we build it, display it for a while, and then take it apart to use the pieces for our own creations. We have a whole system for part sorting/storage so it's easy to find what we need. It's a space sucking hobby, though, for sure, no matter how you deal with it.

And no, we don't have kids!

Also, if you're looking for sets, this week is double VIP points on purchases at lego, so a good time to shop!

Oh and I have taken apart one set and resold it. I bagged by colour so I could go down the list and make sure we had all the pieces. If I was doing it like you plane to, take it apart and rebuild each year, I’d probably go in reverse and bag according the steps. I’ve actually considered that with the Christmas stuff too, I’ve just missed out on so many ones over the years now.

I spent months and months waiting for the Titanic Lego set to become available online to no avail, then I thought it might be in stock in stores. Lo and behold, it was in stock at the Downtown Disney location.

Well, the box was GIGANTIC, and I'm a very short person. I could barely get my arms around it lol. The whole time, I was just imagining what people were thinking watching me schlep a box half my size through the middle of Downtown Disney all the way to the parking lot. Not an experience I think I'll ever forget :rotfl2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter