Less than 2 months to go, and a few questions

Beck & the Beast

Mouseketeer
The excitement is growing each day now as our trip is less than 2 months away. I am surprising my DD4 with her first Disneyland Trip, and my mom has decided to join us, so am looking forward to a memorable 3 generation vacation. I am starting to plan out Dining Reservations and to plan out our days. We fly into LAX on December 12 at 11am.

Question #1 - currently deciding the best method of transportation from the airport to HOJO's. Considering Lansky Car Service, Super Shuttle or perhaps renting a car (but won't really need it otherwise) so thinking just letting someone else worry about the driving is easiest. I can bring my daughters car seat, but anyone have recent experience with the car seats Lansky will provide?

Question #2 - just read on here today about the late parade taping and am slightly worried about potential crowds during our stay. We currently have 5-day park hoppers, but will be in the area from Dec 12-19. Is it worthwhile to upgrade to Deluxe or Signature Annual Passes and try to get into the parks to do a few things on Saturday afternoon and Sunday? Or should we just stay with our park hoppers, and keep our magic morning for Tuesday, and ony have park days Monday Dec 14 through Friday Dec 18? Also, has anyone recently upgraded AirMiles (Canadian) park hoppers to annual passes? I think I read they used to just charge the price difference between the 5-day value and current AP prices? We have actual park hoppers in hand, with no value printed on them.

My daughter will be turning 5 a couple weeks after our trip, so I've decided to splurge on a few extra experiences while we are at DL. We are planning to do lunch at Ariel's, breakfast at Plaza Inn, Bibbidi Bobbidi boutique for my DD and the Holiday Tour, so think the additional AP discounts will offset the prices to upgrade.

I haven't been to DLR since December 2009, so know a lot has changed since my last visit. Namely Carsland, World of Color and all the 60th stuff. Any must-do's?

My mom and I have decided to make this trip primarily about my daughter, so are willing to forego some of the thrill rides if needed, to plan for lots of Fantasyland rides, princess and Character time, hoping to check out Disney Jr Live (have never been to this) so any special advice relating to all the girly stuff is appreciated.

Hey! We'll be there at the same time - great minds think alike! ;)

#1 - We've only done Super Shuttle to our hotel from John Wayne Airport. We always have a good experience with them. The only time we had a negative experience was when our Super Shuttle driver was late picking us up from our hotel to take us to the airport. I can't comment on the other transportation services, as we have only done Super Shuttle on all our stays at Disneyland.

I'm not sure about #2 - hopefully someone will be able to answer this for you. While I'm not anticipating the crowds to be too bad, I can't say for certain.

Sounds like you guys have a wonderful trip planned!! Let's hope for some cooler weather in December and all will be well!! :)

Oh one other thing to add - we've had Deluxe Annual Passes, and while the discount is nice, it isn't that much (10%). I would do some calculations and see if upgrading would really be worth it for you guys.

Hope this helps!! :)

1- the only person I've heard comment on Lanskys car seats said they were expired and the driver did not know how to install them, but the owner said when she called he was going to buy new ones that day. Honestly if I were you (or me and taking transportation that required my kids car seats), I'd bring my own- it's a pain but you know they are safe and how to install them correctly. It's just not worth the risk.

As far as the crowds it will be BUSY! That weekend before could be busier then the week you are planning, but both will be close to capacity can't walk well busy is my guess. Last year we went the second weekend (the weekend you are thinking about adding) and the following Monday- the weekend was busy but we literally couldn't walk well Monday! For some reason kids/colleges get out a week early, people leave for vacation early, etc and even though it's the week before the week of Christmas it's packed. That Monday the cms were saying they were close to capacity. This year it's busier with the 60th, plus the holidays, plus Star Wars is open, plus things are closing due to Star Wars land, plus things are closing for over a year for Star Wars land, plus conventions, plus groups (at least 2-3 we know of the weekend you might add), plus apparently Dick Van Dikes birthday, plus.... Lol!! Anyway my point is expect busy and then you won't be disappointed. Even if it wasn't busy adding more Disney days is nice especially with the discount for food, activities, etc, but having 7-8 days instead of 5 would be a good idea. too bad the mm isn't hitting your trip in a way you can use it before you upgrade and need the discounts, but I think the trade off for 2 extra park days is worth 1 mm as long as you hit rp daily (it's so much less busy in the mornings). Anyway- despite busy it will still be fun as long as you know to expect and plan for it. We will be there dec 8-16 and will feel the pain of the crowds too lol

Random must-dos/ideas/things that have been added since you were last at DLR (all holiday-specific):

Make sure to see Viva Navidad in California Adventure, which is new since you were last at DLR.

Stop in at the different Disney hotels, as they all have decorations that were not there when you were last there -- such as a large gingerbread house in the GCH lobby, and smaller gingerbread houses in Storytellers Cafe and White Water Snacks. The DLH has a giant fake gingerbread Castle in the lobby.

Take a ride on Jingle Cruise -- it's the holiday overlay that began on Jungle Cruise in 2013.

Visit Santa Claus at Elias & Company on Buena Vista Street, in Critter Country or at any of the 3 hotels.

Watch the Buena Vista Street Bell Ringers perform in DCA.

Ask Molly the Messenger to deliver a letter to Santa - http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/bl...a-street-in-disney-california-adventure-park/.

Stop in at the Big Thunder Ranch and say goodbye to the goats and other animals, as they will be gone forever after January 10th.

Make sure to peek in the office of the Cozy Cone Motel in Cars Land to see a miniature version of the Cozy Cone in gingerbread form.

Olaf's Frozen Ice Rink and the Winter Village are new in Downtown Disney.

Olaf's Snow Fest is new in DCA since you were last there.

There's lots of Frozen everywhere, actually -- there is an Anna & Elsa Boutique in Downtown Disney (for makeovers and what not), and an A&E meet & greet in Hollywood Land in DCA (not far from Olaf's Snow Fest).

Even the Storybook Land Canal Boat ride now has a new mini-Arendelle.

Make sure to peek in the office of the Cozy Cone Motel in Cars Land to see a miniature version of the Cozy Cone in gingerbread form.

I hadn't heard about this darling tidbit! Definitely adding it to my list! I love being able to point out special gems like this to my family!

Have you considered the Disneyland Resort Express bus by Grayline? No car seat needed, and they take you directly to your hotel. They also have Disney wrapped buses, and play a movie to help pass the time.

Just gotta say the Playhouse Disney show is SO AWESOME! My son loved it and I can't wait to take my son again as well as my daughter this time. I also recommend getting an autograph book for her so she can meet characters and princesses, get her picture taken with them and also their autograph. Its especially cool when your daughter is getting her picture taken with the princess she is dressed as!

Thank you all for the ideas. I think I've decided to bring my daughter's carseat with us to use regardless, so I know that she'll be safe as I'm comfortable installing it myself. Have read a few mixed reviews about Lansky as well, so still not sure on that. I used Super Shuttle a few years ago, but we had a group of 7 and so I just booked the private van. I was looking at Karmel also, and from their reviews it looks like even with their shared van option, they don't make multiple loops to the other terminals trying to fill their van before leaving. I know when we land, we'll just want to get to our hotel and hopefully head to DTD or the parks depending if there's a big lineup to enter on Dec 12.

I am making a coloring book for my daughter for the airplane ride filled with Disney pages, and am working on an autograph book for her as well. Now that our 60-day window has opened, have made dining reservations for Minnie & Friends Breakfast, lunch at Ariel's Grotto and a Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique appointment. Getting excited now!

I'm still debating if we should book either the River Belle or Blue Bayou Fantasmic package. Even though I love the atmosphere at the Blue Bayou, not sure if my DD will appreciate it enough. I've read some mixed reviews about the food quality of dinner at River Belle.

My only piece of advice, since you mention wanting to do all the Fantasyland stuff with your little kid, is to rope drop and go to Peter Pan first. I was very near the ropes for rope drop and still waited about 25 minutes for Pan. By the time I got out of the ride, the line was back to the sign that said "45 minute wait from this point".

We loved the blue bayou fantasmic package! Food probably not worth the cost. But we had the most incredible seats for fantasmic and the fireworks. Would definitely do that again.

I just got back and can offer two pieces of advice. We really enjoyed eating the River a belle Terrace and did the Fantasmic package and the seating was in the same place as the Blue Bayou and it was less expensive. We used Anaheim Town car to get from Paradise Pier to an airport hotel and I would highly recommend. He had car seats available in the vehicle.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter