Less than 6 months on passport

Partyof4LA

Mouseketeer
We are taking a western Caribbean cruise (Grand Cayman, Jamaica, Mexico, Bahamas). My daughter’s passport expires 4 months after the cruise. We’ve always made sure our passports are valid another 6 months before flying internationally, but have never run into the issue with a cruise. Is it still valid to get on the ship as long as it’s not actually expired? If there were an emergency in port, we could still use it to go home since it’s still valid correct? I know using her birth certificate is an option for the cruise, but we aren’t comfortable traveling without the passport in case we need to get home.

We have another international trip between now and the cruise and with the turnover times I’m seeing now, I worry we wouldn’t get it back on time for the cruise if we apply after that trip.

We are taking a western Caribbean cruise (Grand Cayman, Jamaica, Mexico, Bahamas). My daughter’s passport expires 4 months after the cruise. We’ve always made sure our passports are valid another 6 months before flying internationally, but have never run into the issue with a cruise. Is it still valid to get on the ship as long as it’s not actually expired? If there were an emergency in port, we could still use it to go home since it’s still valid correct? I know using her birth certificate is an option for the cruise, but we aren’t comfortable traveling without the passport in case we need to get home.

We have another international trip between now and the cruise and with the turnover times I’m seeing now, I worry we wouldn’t get it back on time for the cruise if we apply after that
It won’t be any problem with four months left on the passport.

We just did the Greek Isles cruise on the Dream. My sons passport was set to expire five months and three weeks after our sail date. We were unable to check in for our cruise online and, when I called Disney, they escalated my call to Shore Services who told me there was nothing that could be done and that he would not be permitted to take the cruise. For the Europe cruises, Disney requires six month validity on passports despite the fact that Italian government only requires the passport be valid for three months past your departure date from the country. We tried to get an emergency US passport but there were no appointments available nationwide. Luckily, my son has duel citizenship with Canada and we were able to fly there and get an emergency Canadian passport three days before our flight to Rome. My point is, make sure you check Disney’s guidelines for your destination because they may require more that what customs does.

Check each of those destinations to see what their requirements are for how long your passport has to be valid for.

I did check the department of state website and none of the countries require 6 months. I wanted to be sure DCL itself won’t give me problems.

We just did the Greek Isles cruise on the Dream. My sons passport was set to expire five months and three weeks after our sail date. We were unable to check in for our cruise online and, when I called Disney, they escalated my call to Shore Services who told me there was nothing that could be done and that he would not be permitted to take the cruise. For the Europe cruises, Disney requires six month validity on passports despite the fact that Italian government only requires the passport be valid for three months past your departure date from the country. We tried to get an emergency US passport but there were no appointments available nationwide. Luckily, my son has duel citizenship with Canada and we were able to fly there and get an emergency Canadian passport three days before our flight to Rome. My point is, make sure you check Disney’s guidelines for your destination because they may require more that what customs does.

I’ve already checked the department of state’s travels website for the countries we are visiting. How would I double check with Disney’s guidelines? I didn’t find anything on their site regarding this.

I’ve already checked the department of state’s travels website for the countries we are visiting. How would I double check with Disney’s guidelines? I didn’t find anything on their site regarding this.
https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/guest-services/passport-travel-documentation/

You've probably already scanned this page - note that for European cruises, all passports must be valid for six months after sailing has ended. For Caribbean cruises, the passport simply needs to be "valid," aka not expired.

Just need the bc for the cruise. If she has to fly home, the passport is valid.

I did check the department of state website and none of the countries require 6 months. I wanted to be sure DCL itself won’t give me problems.
Since Disney don't require you to have a passport for your cruise it shouldn't be an issue. You'll have the passport with you in the event that you need it but it expiring in 4 months shouldn't be a problem since it isn't required in the first place.

Europe cruises, cruises that leave from Canada and any other itinerary that isn't a closed loop US cruise might pose a problem.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter