• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Let’s play “would you eat it?”!

I was a foreign exchange student in Japan, and my host family would cook dinner, then neatly put the leftovers up on the counter. We ate them for breakfast. Obviously not sashimi or sushi, but things like rolled omelet and fried fish from the night before. We never got sick. They had a dorm sized fridge, so most foods were bought the day they ate them, or served as leftovers the next morning without refrigerating.

Too funny, my husband was specifically referencing some sort of Japanese meat that is aged two months (??could that be right??) and safely eaten, as a reason why we should eat this dinner :D

I would toss it since you left it too long at room temperature even if you have previously browned/seared it, the inside was still raw. Cooking spoiled meat doesn't make it safe to consume.

I was in Las Vegas many years ago with a large group. On the last evening, there was a big buffet dinner with lots of choices, Swiss Steak being one of them. I didn't eat it for whatever reason, but the ones who did suffered all the way home the next day. They blamed it on the water (at that time, Las Vegas was bringing water in by tanker truck) but I drank the tap water with my medication and had no problem.

I would toss it since you left it too long at room temperature even if you have previously browned/seared it, the inside was still raw. Cooking spoiled meat doesn't make it safe to consume.

It was actually cooked all the way through, the pieces were small and therefore easily browned all the way through. The crock pot process just mixes together the flavors and tenderizes it all

^^ If so, any type of meat is recommended to be refrigerated within 2 hrs after cooking. I would still toss it why risk making your family ill? Safe food handling practices are recommended for a reason. It isn't about 'how much can I get away with before making people ill?'

I agree, I think the guidelines err on the side of caution. Now there are some things I will NOT eat if they’ve set out in the sun for awhile, like anything with mayo. Our family did get food poisoning once and it was horrific. All of us who are the potato salad at a wedding (at least 40 of the guests) got violently ill for days. My mom for instance, didn’t eat it, and didn’t get sick. I know there had been a time or two when my husband has left a cooked meat dinner in the counter for several hours before refrigerating, and he has eaten it the next day with no problem (although I have refused to eat it lol). I feel even safer with this though because of how long it’s going to cook before we eat it

Actually, you may be surprised to know that when it comes to potato salad, it's the potatoes that are more likely to be the culprit in food poisoning, not the mayo. Potatoes have low acidity and so are more prone to bacterial growth, especially when cooked. Mayo on the other hand is pretty acidic with all of that vinegar and lemon juice so bacteria doesn't really like it. Unfortunately bacteria can still grow on the potatoes (macaroni, chicken, tuna, etc.) if they're mishandled, even if they're covered in mayo.

I don’t think aged means leaving it on your counter for two months.

I know, he was joking with me, as in “hey, it will be just like Kobe beef in Japan!”

At any rate, he and I ate the stroganoff over 24 hours ago, and are feeling absolutely fine, let’s hope it stays that way.

In the future I will check and re-check that my crock pot is turned on so this does not happen again!

Actually, you may be surprised to know that when it comes to potato salad, it's the potatoes that are more likely to be the culprit in food poisoning, not the mayo. Potatoes have low acidity and so are more prone to bacterial growth, especially when cooked. Mayo on the other hand is pretty acidic with all of that vinegar and lemon juice so bacteria doesn't really like it. Unfortunately bacteria can still grow on the potatoes (macaroni, chicken, tuna, etc.) if they're mishandled, even if they're covered in mayo.

Interesting! To be in the safe side, I will avoid any old potatoes OR mayo that has sat out!

Also I recently learned that rice goes bad very quickly, which one wouldn’t think of being at the top of the “quick spoiling” food list. I didn’t find that out the hard way, we generally finish off a batch of rice the first night, I just had recently read that

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter