Let’s talk trifle

Trifle experts - Do you think the vessel should be flat on the bottom or do you ever use a punch bowl or glass bowl?

I do a light one that's perfect in summer when the berries are in season. :goodvibes Angelfood cake with strawberries, blueberries, raspberries and kiwi. Layer with lemon pie filling (cooked mix from a box spiked with fresh lemon juice) and top with whipped cream and toasted coconut. Beautiful to look at and not too stodgey or sweet; delish!!

What is a Trifle?

https://www.tasteofhome.com/article/what-is-a-trifle/

It's a gorgeous layered dessert that's surprisingly easy to make. Learn what is a trifle and everything else you need to know!​

This elegant dessert has been around for ages and anyone who has ever had a cake disaster, like when it stuck to the pan or broke in half, should be familiar.

In every trifle, layers of something cakey, something creamy and something fruity come together to make a delicious treat.

Give it a try Luv! Don’t forget to add something cakey and maybe some pudding too!
You convinced me!

I don't have a glass bowl like that but I'm going to try this in a glass pie plate with a cookie layer, maybe a layer of the creamcheese mix, a layer of cookie and a layer of cream with the pretty crumble and see how it goes. Looking at it I suspect it would be a nice treat, the bowl used looks a lot like my hydrangea vase minus the stem lol
https://www.thepioneerwoman.com/food-cooking/recipes/a40883831/pumpkin-trifle-recipe/

Came back to say that was a fail.

The cream went gross and all I got was whipped butter in a milk soup and so I went for a save dropping 4 eggs in the cream cheese and pumpkin, we will see if we'll get cheesecake or more yikes.

Alas, today I will still not know a trifle.

Last edited:
One of our relatives used to make them they are basically a layered dessert (can be layers of most anything) usually served in a glass bowl. I always thought they looked better until you started to serve it then didn't look nearly as appealing ...................LOL.

Trifles here in Australia are composed of really thick vanilla custard, jelly (Jello to Americans) chopped into smallish pieces and little sponge roll cakes that have been soaked in sherry - this is all layered usually starting with the cakes first. Then a thin layer of whipped cream over the top. Of course chefs Then try to outdo each other hence all the “fancy” recipes. Some people add fruit etc.

My Nanna as she got older forgot to measure the sherry which led to many a trifle having so much booze in it it would float LOL.

1668554201628.jpeg

Trifle experts - Do you think the vessel should be flat on the bottom or do you ever use a punch bowl or glass bowl?
I have used a round bowl before. A bowl made just for trifle is nice, though. They sell them everywhere and they’re fairly inexpensive.
You convinced me!

I don't have a glass bowl like that but I'm going to try this in a glass pie plate with a cookie layer, maybe a layer of the creamcheese mix, a layer of cookie and a layer of cream with the pretty crumble and see how it goes. Looking at it I suspect it would be a nice treat, the bowl used looks a lot like my hydrangea vase minus the stem lol
https://www.thepioneerwoman.com/food-cooking/recipes/a40883831/pumpkin-trifle-recipe/

Came back to say that was a fail.

The cream went gross and all I got was whipped butter in a milk soup and so I went for a save dropping 4 eggs in the cream and pumpkin, we will see if we'll get cheesecake or more yikes.

Alas, today I will still not know a trifle.
Oh no! I think it’s probably best when things are a little dry. It’s probably why the cool whip, boxed puddings and boxed cake mixes work so well. Try again!

I make a chocolate brownie one every year at Christmas. Actually I make 2—we have some gluten free family members so one uses gluten free brownies. It layers the brownies, chocolate pudding, toffee bits and cool whip. I think DH’s nephews show up just for the trifle.

So no trifle but I took the sugary pumpkin mix and cream cheese and added 4 eggs, used crumbled cookies as a base in a glass pan the ended up looking very strange. Looked sort of like pumpkin squares maybe, probably shouldn't have gone with the chocolate cookies for optics, as my family pointed out inelegantly:rotfl2:good thing they are amused by my shenanigans which are, apparently, very on brand.

Might try freezing some to see what happens. No idea what this is I made but lemons to lemonade it is!

A go to for me when going to picnics. I actually make individual ones in plastic cups. That way the desert doesn't turn into a goey mess towards the bottom with everyone scooping from it and it avoids people just scooping out thier favorite layers.

I make it on occasion, I even have a trifle bowl! I favor real whipped cream so I usually put it on top vs. as part of the layers when I serve it. I'm thinking of having a go at a pumpkin roll one...think deconstructed pumpkin roll, at least that is how I see it in my head :P I am also thinking of trying something with rum balls.

Trifles are simple and you can put whatever you want in them -- whipped cream of cool whip -- your choice.

I like to bake a pan of brownies then pour a can of sweetened condensed milk over the top, then cut up the brownies into bite size pieces and place them in the trifle bowl (or individual cups.) Top the chocolaty goodness with custard pudding -- again, your choice of homemade custard, or instant pudding.

If I'm feeling gourmet, I'll put mini-Snickers around the edges between the layers, and top the whole thing with piped whipping cream and chocolate shavings.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter