Let the Wookiee Win: An August Solo Adventure! *Updated 11/17*

Hi, friends! It's been... ages... since I've touched this TR. But, I'll throw in a little real life update because there's been a lot of change in my life in the last few weeks (and also the reason for my falling behind on many TRs and DTRs... including the delay in starting my own!)

When I was on my August trip, an opportunity presented itself for a major game changer in my career. Nope... unfortunately, Disney did not contact me and offer me the role of Belle (I know, I know, my hair color is perfect and I work in a library, hello?!). :confused3 I'm really failing to understand their oversight as well. Anyway, when I got home I was called in to meet with the board of trustees of a nearby public library to become their... gulp... director. It was simply an offer I couldn't pass up. Before I even went to speak with them, I let my boss know who was beyond supportive and basically said "YOU HAVE TO TAKE IT!" Almost immediately after that, tragedy struck and her 52 year old husband passed away unexpectedly. Literally the day after, my dear grandmother passed away unexpectedly. You might imagine the weeks that followed. I delayed decision making until I could have a conversation with my boss and my [new employer] was happy to be patient given the circumstances with my [soon-to-be-former] boss. We work very closely together and I refused to bombard her with this immediately. So... on October 28, I will officially begin my new adventure in public libraries! As @pkondz knows (he visited me a year ago almost exactly!), and perhaps many others, I work in a museum library and have been there for 12 years so this is a BIG deal to leave this place behind, especially in the wake of everything else happening. But I'm really excited and eager to begin. I start training with the current public library director tomorrow. I'll be the only full-time staff person and I'll have 4 part-time colleagues and 50+ volunteers :scared1:. In the last month, I have had every possible emotion and many times all of them simultaneously!

The week before she passed, my 4 year old niece captured some candid photos of my grandmother and me at my nephew's soccer game. This one below was the least... candid. :laughing: She was such a special lady and I miss her every day. :sad1:Me and Grandma_September 2019.JPG

I can't post a picture without sneaking in a little Disney... some of you may have noticed my shirt is R2-D2 ;) Some of you may also know I'm a rebel living in NY as a Red Sox fan. You can't see, but my grandmother has a Red Sox hat on... I credit her for my love of the Sox. She was born, raised, and lived in Boston until she got married to my grandfather and has the strongest and most adorable Boston accent you'll ever find. :lovestruc

The next few weeks will likely be a chaotic jumble of transitioning into my new role with training, board meetings, and such already planned out starting tomorrow. I'm anxious and excited and everything in between. The last text exchange I had with my grandmother was the day before she passed and she was asking about the public library position. I have to believe she'd be pretty excited about this change in my life. :lovestruc Thanks for letting me share, and thanks for your patience as I work unsuccessfully to catch up on TRs! :laughing:

Oh Tracy feeling all the emotions for you right now. First of all I'm so sorry to hear about your grandmother. It sounds like she was an amazing lady who passed on that amazingness to you ❤

And what an amazing opportunity for you to take on a library director position. I'm sure its exciting and scary all at once but know what you are just gonna kick all the butt at it!

Oh Tracy, what a rollercoaster! Thanks so much for sharing with us.

an opportunity presented itself for a major game changer in my career. Nope... unfortunately, Disney did not contact me and offer me the role of Belle (I know, I know, my hair color is perfect and I work in a library, hello?!). :confused3 I'm really failing to understand their oversight as well.

:lovestruc Right!? It's basically meant to be! I always felt I was meant to be a friend of Belle as well <3

Almost immediately after that, tragedy struck and her 52 year old husband passed away unexpectedly. Literally the day after, my dear grandmother passed away unexpectedly. You might imagine the weeks that followed. I delayed decision making until I could have a conversation with my boss and my [new employer] was happy to be patient given the circumstances with my [soon-to-be-former] boss.

Oh my goodness. What a mix of emotions!

But I'm really excited and eager to begin. I start training with the current public library director tomorrow. I'll be the only full-time staff person and I'll have 4 part-time colleagues and 50+ volunteers :scared1:. In the last month, I have had every possible emotion and many times all of them simultaneously!

This is amazing!! I'm sure it's been difficult as well, but you must be so excited to begin your new position! You'll be fantastic!

She was such a special lady and I miss her every day. :sad1:
Me and Grandma_September 2019.JPG

My grandmother and I are also very close, and I can only imagine how you must be feeling after your grandmother's passing. If she was anything like you, she was a kind and powerful lady! I'm so sorry for your loss, and I'm sure she would be so pleased for you and your new job.

So very sorry to hear about your grandmother :( Love the pic you shared with us! Sending you lots of hugs from your Dis family :grouphug:

Congratulations on your new job! I imagine you are having so many mixed emotions right now but we are so happy for you and excited to learn more as you transition into your role (speaking of roles, why doesn't Disney see you are the perfect Belle?!!)

. I'll be the only full-time staff person and I'll have 4 part-time colleagues and 50+ volunteers :scared1:. In the last month, I have had every possible emotion and many times all of them simultaneously!
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! That is amazing! And so exciting.

Sorry to hear about your grandmother. She sounded like a great person.

Nope... unfortunately, Disney did not contact me and offer me the role of Belle (I know, I know, my hair color is perfect and I work in a library, hello?!). :confused3

:rotfl:

Your funny comment aside, CONGRATULATIONS on your wonderful job offer! I'm sure you'll do a FANTASTIC job!

I'm also so sorry about the loss of your grandmother. I feel those losses are so much harder when they're unexpected. It looks like you had a wonderful relationship with her and I know she's so happy for you and will be cheering for you as you start your new adventure! Much love to you in this up-and-down time. :hug:

What a roller coaster of emotions in such a short period of time. Condolences for your grandmother's passing. It sounds like you had a close relationship . You know how proud of you she must be right now. Congratulations on your fantastic new opportunity. Best of luck.

Oh Tracy! So much goodness mixed with so much sadness! First I am so happy for you! The new job sounds so awesome and what you were working for with your Masters Degree!!
Please accept my sincere condolences for the loss of your grandmother and your boss’s husband!
Don’t worry about the trip reports, read when you can! Keep us updated on your real life events and I will be happy to read your TR when you start it!!
I did at first think you were moving to Florida, haha!

When I was on my August trip, an opportunity presented itself for a major game changer in my career. Nope... unfortunately, Disney did not contact me and offer me the role of Belle (I know, I know, my hair color is perfect and I work in a library, hello?!). :confused3 I'm really failing to understand their oversight as well. Anyway, when I got home I was called in to meet with the board of trustees of a nearby public library to become their... gulp... director. It was simply an offer I couldn't pass up. Before I even went to speak with them, I let my boss know who was beyond supportive and basically said "YOU HAVE TO TAKE IT!" Almost immediately after that, tragedy struck and her 52 year old husband passed away unexpectedly. Literally the day after, my dear grandmother passed away unexpectedly. You might imagine the weeks that followed. I delayed decision making until I could have a conversation with my boss and my [new employer] was happy to be patient given the circumstances with my [soon-to-be-former] boss. We work very closely together and I refused to bombard her with this immediately. So... on October 28, I will officially begin my new adventure in public libraries! As @pkondz knows (he visited me a year ago almost exactly!), and perhaps many others, I work in a museum library and have been there for 12 years so this is a BIG deal to leave this place behind, especially in the wake of everything else happening. But I'm really excited and eager to begin. I start training with the current public library director tomorrow. I'll be the only full-time staff person and I'll have 4 part-time colleagues and 50+ volunteers :scared1:. In the last month, I have had every possible emotion and many times all of them simultaneously!
Wow! Congratulations on such an awesome opportunity. I know you will be amazing!
The week before she passed, my 4 year old niece captured some candid photos of my grandmother and me at my nephew's soccer game. This one below was the least... candid. :laughing: She was such a special lady and I miss her every day. :sad1:
I am so very sorry to hear of the loss of your grandmother, my thoughts and prayers are with you. :hug:

So... on October 28, I will officially begin my new adventure in public libraries!

Congratulations!

Literally the day after, my dear grandmother passed away unexpectedly. You might imagine the weeks that followed.

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. :hug:

Some of you may also know I'm a rebel living in NY as a Red Sox fan.

One of these days we're going to have to plan something so we can get together! I can't believe we live in the same state and vacation in the same place but still haven't managed to run into each other yet :rotfl:

Oh Tracy feeling all the emotions for you right now. First of all I'm so sorry to hear about your grandmother. It sounds like she was an amazing lady who passed on that amazingness to you ❤

And what an amazing opportunity for you to take on a library director position. I'm sure its exciting and scary all at once but know what you are just gonna kick all the butt at it!
Thank you so much, Kari :hug:

It really is an amazing opportunity and hopefully my nerves will calm down soon :laughing: I'm meeting with the current director this morning to begin training... so that'll either help or hurt the nerves :rotfl:

Oh Tracy, what a rollercoaster! Thanks so much for sharing with us.
A rollercoaster for sure! :faint: And my stomach is handling it like it handles real ones :rotfl2:

:lovestruc Right!? It's basically meant to be! I always felt I was meant to be a friend of Belle as well <3
YES! You sure would :thumbsup2

Oh my goodness. What a mix of emotions!
Such. A. Mix.

This is amazing!! I'm sure it's been difficult as well, but you must be so excited to begin your new position! You'll be fantastic!
Thank you so much!!! :hug:

My grandmother and I are also very close, and I can only imagine how you must be feeling after your grandmother's passing. If she was anything like you, she was a kind and powerful lady! I'm so sorry for your loss, and I'm sure she would be so pleased for you and your new job.
Awww thank you so much. It's still so hard for me to accept, even nearly two weeks later.

So very sorry to hear about your grandmother :( Love the pic you shared with us! Sending you lots of hugs from your Dis family :grouphug:
Thank you so much!!! :hug:

Congratulations on your new job! I imagine you are having so many mixed emotions right now but we are so happy for you and excited to learn more as you transition into your role (speaking of roles, why doesn't Disney see you are the perfect Belle?!!)
So many mixed emotions!!! I will let you all know how it goes!

Right?! I don't understand their oversight either :confused3:rotfl:

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! That is amazing! And so exciting.

Sorry to hear about your grandmother. She sounded like a great person.
Thank you so much!!! So exciting. So nerve wracking :rotfl:

Thank you - she was indeed a great lady :goodvibes

Your funny comment aside, CONGRATULATIONS on your wonderful job offer! I'm sure you'll do a FANTASTIC job!

I'm also so sorry about the loss of your grandmother. I feel those losses are so much harder when they're unexpected. It looks like you had a wonderful relationship with her and I know she's so happy for you and will be cheering for you as you start your new adventure! Much love to you in this up-and-down time. :hug:
Thank you so much!!!

It really was just so unexpected. I hadn't done anything mentally or emotionally to prepare for the possibility it'd be anytime soon. Thank you for your love and support :hug:

What a roller coaster of emotions in such a short period of time. Condolences for your grandmother's passing. It sounds like you had a close relationship . You know how proud of you she must be right now. Congratulations on your fantastic new opportunity. Best of luck.
Thank you so much :goodvibes It really has been quite the rollercoaster ride. And as I also said above, my stomach is handling it much like it handles real rollercoasters :rotfl: She would definitely be proud, and I have to hang onto that :goodvibes Thank you so much!!! :hug:

Congratulations on your new job, and I hope that your grandmother will always be your angel as you embark on this new path 👼
Thank you so much!!! That's a wonderful way to look at it, and I think you're right :goodvibes

Oh Tracy! So much goodness mixed with so much sadness! First I am so happy for you! The new job sounds so awesome and what you were working for with your Masters Degree!!
Please accept my sincere condolences for the loss of your grandmother and your boss’s husband!
Don’t worry about the trip reports, read when you can! Keep us updated on your real life events and I will be happy to read your TR when you start it!!
I did at first think you were moving to Florida, haha!
HA! If only I'd meant I was moving to Florida... :rolleyes1;)

Thank you so much!!! Yes! I was just finishing up my degree less than 6 months ago - hard to believe this all happened so fast.

Thank you so much, Caroline. It's been a real struggle these last few weeks but it's so helpful to know I have such a wonderful community of family and friends - both on and off the Dis :grouphug:

Wow! Congratulations on such an awesome opportunity. I know you will be amazing!
Thank you so much!!! :goodvibes

I am so very sorry to hear of the loss of your grandmother, my thoughts and prayers are with you. :hug:
Thank you :hug:

Congratulations!
Thanks, Raeven!!!

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. :hug:
Thanks so much :hug:

One of these days we're going to have to plan something so we can get together! I can't believe we live in the same state and vacation in the same place but still haven't managed to run into each other yet :rotfl:
I know!!! Why have we not made this happen yet?! :rotfl:

Nope... unfortunately, Disney did not contact me and offer me the role of Belle
Whaaaaaat?
What is wrong with them???
Obviously some sort of major screw up.
Anyway, when I got home I was called in to meet with the board of trustees of a nearby public library to become their... gulp... director.
Holy cow! Wow!!!!!
Almost immediately after that, tragedy struck and her 52 year old husband passed away unexpectedly.
Oh, dear...
Literally the day after, my dear grandmother passed away unexpectedly.
Oh, no! I'm so sorry to hear this. My deepest condolences, Tracy. :hug:
I delayed decision making until I could have a conversation with my boss and my [new employer] was happy to be patient given the circumstances with my [soon-to-be-former] boss.
Of course. Perfectly understandable.
So... on October 28, I will officially begin my new adventure in public libraries!
Congrats!!!!
As @pkondz knows (he visited me a year ago almost exactly!)
Has it been that long already? I need to get back and take a course or two. :)
Won't be the same without my personal tour guide, though. :)
I start training with the current public library director tomorrow.
Goodness! I missed the date! Sorry! Been busy, myself.
I'll be the only full-time staff person and I'll have 4 part-time colleagues and 50+ volunteers :scared1:.
:faint:
Wow! Just... wow!
In the last month, I have had every possible emotion and many times all of them simultaneously!
Yes, I can imagine you would. :hug:
She was such a special lady and I miss her every day.
Again, sorry for your loss, Tracy.
You can't see, but my grandmother has a Red Sox hat on... I credit her for my love of the Sox. She was born, raised, and lived in Boston until she got married to my grandfather and has the strongest and most adorable Boston accent you'll ever find. :lovestruc
Awww. :)
The last text exchange I had with my grandmother was the day before she passed and she was asking about the public library position. I have to believe she'd be pretty excited about this change in my life. :lovestruc
I'm sure she would have been. :)
Thanks for letting me share, and thanks for your patience as I work unsuccessfully to catch up on TRs! :laughing:
Thank you for sharing with us!

Wow, such a whirlwind of crazy stuff all at once!

First, I'm so sorry about your grandmother :hug:

Congrats, on the new job though! It sounds like an amazing opportunity for you…maybe almost as good as being asked to be Belle in WDW 🥰

Whaaaaaat?
What is wrong with them???
Obviously some sort of major screw up.
My thoughts exactly :sad2:

Oh, no! I'm so sorry to hear this. My deepest condolences, Tracy. :hug:
Thank you :hug:

Has it been that long already? I need to get back and take a course or two. :)
It has! How? I don't quite know :confused3

Won't be the same without my personal tour guide, though. :)
Awww, shucks :flower3:

Goodness! I missed the date! Sorry! Been busy, myself.
Oh? Guess I need to hop on over to your TR to find out why! ;)

:faint:
Wow! Just... wow!
I know... :scared1:

First, I'm so sorry about your grandmother :hug:
Thank you so much :hug:

Congrats, on the new job though! It sounds like an amazing opportunity for you…maybe almost as good as being asked to be Belle in WDW 🥰
Thank you!!! Yeah... almost ;)

I'm so sorry about your grandmother.
Congrats on the new job!! All of that definitely makes for a roller coaster of emotions

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter