Let's Go Mets!

Breaking up a double play is part of the game. Chase Utley's slide went far beyond strategic and well into dirty. I don't think he intentionally hurt Tejeda and the play appears to be legal, but crap ...that slide was so late and his legs were not even CLOSE to the bag. I was never a Chase Utley fan and I am even less of one now.

He's going to need some extra security in NYC. I wonder who gets the honor of nailing him with a fastball on Monday.

The play wasn't legal. He clearly wasn't sliding into the bag, and calling what he did a slide is using the term sliding very loosely, and his only intent was to take out the fielder. In fact, he missed the bag and never touched it. It is clearly a deliberate and willful act to take out a fielder. Both he and the runner going to first should have been called out by the rules. Should have been 2-1 Mets inning over.

It was a cheap shot. And whether he intentionally hurt Tejeda or not he darn well knew hurting him is an outcome of what he was doing.

Breaking up a double play is part of the game. Chase Utley's slide went far beyond strategic and well into dirty. I don't think he intentionally hurt Tejeda and the play appears to be legal, but crap ...that slide was so late and his legs were not even CLOSE to the bag. I was never a Chase Utley fan and I am even less of one now.

He's going to need some extra security in NYC. I wonder who gets the honor of nailing him with a fastball on Monday.

I kinda hope the Mets don't hit him. But if they have a lead in the late innings and someone hits him in the butt, I won't cry.

....I'm a die-hard Yankees fan, but I'm rooting for the Mets....

Wow. That was one crap play by the Dodgers. What a dirty player. I hope MLB does the right thing and kicks that clown out for the remainder of the season, which I hope is short-lived. (And this comes from a 100% Cards fan.)
....I never liked him even when he was on the Phillies....he's been doing stuff like that to the Mets players for YEARS.

That was not a baseball slide- it was a football tackle! Glad that idiot is suspended but was looking forward to seeing the mets retaliate in some form!

....yeah, and Tejada's broken leg is part of the game?....way-to-go, Utley...

I just saw some Tweets that Utley has been suspended for Games 3 & 4. Good call.
Good! I'm glad. Utley would be smart to not appeal it for his own safety.

Whoops! It looks like he is NOT smart and he and the Dodgers are appealing.

.....like I stated before, he's had a history of dirty plays....in a million years, JETER would never resort to low-blows like that.

.....like I stated before, he's had a history of dirty plays....in a million years, JETER would never resort to low-blows like that.
While I admired Jeter, FTR neither would 99% of the other players in baseball. Just sayin'.

I'm not a baseball fan so I don't know the rules very well. The hit aside, could someone explain to me how he was called "safe" at the base that HE NEVER TOUCHED? Why was he allowed to just come back onto the field and to second base without the Mets getting a chance to tag him out as he ran back on?

MLB disagrees with you and they make the rules: http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/p...op-5-the-slide-heard-round-the-baseball-world .

SHOULD it have been legal? No, I don't think so. I think the rules need to be changed.

You must have missed this in your quoted article.
I'd argue the rule already exists to call Utley out, but the rule is rarely, if ever, enforced.

And he would argue correctly. The relevant rule in question is clear. If Utley was intending to take out the fielder to break up a double play, rather than slide into the base then both he and the runner going to first are out. Clearly he had no intent to slide into the base. He didn't even in fact slide into it or even try. The umpire erred in not calling it. Unfortunately, that particular judgement is not subject to any review and no mechanism exists to reverse said error by the ump.

From Joe Torre, MLB chief baseball officer.
"I recognize that there has been much commentary and many questions regarding the unfortunate play in last night's game in which Ruben Tejada was injured. As I said after the game, the determination of whether a baserunner has intentionally interfered with a player attempting to turn a double play is left to the judgment of the Umpire on the field, and that judgment call is not subject to review. I should add that determining where to draw the line between an illegal slide and a legitimate hard play is an extremely difficult call for our Umpires.

"However, after thoroughly reviewing the play from all conceivable angles, I have concluded that Mr. Utley's action warrants discipline. While I sincerely believe that Mr. Utley had no intention of injuring Ruben Tejada, and was attempting to help his Club in a critical situation, I believe his slide was in violation of Official Baseball Rule 5.09 (a)(13), which is designed to protect fielders from precisely this type of rolling block that occurs away from the base.

Illegal. MLB agrees with me.

Here's the rule quoted by Torre.

(A batter is out when) A preceding runner shall, in the umpire’s judgment, intentionally interfere with a fielder who is attempting to catch a thrown ball or to throw a ball in an attempt to complete any play.

There is even an explanation in the rule book.

The objective of this rule is to penalize the offensive team for deliberate, unwarranted, unsportsmanlike action by the runner. . . for the obvious purpose of crashing the pivot man on a double play, rather than trying to reach the base. Obviously this is an umpire’s judgment play.

MLB obviously agrees with me. The umpire erred in his judgement. It was an illegal play.

MLB obviously agrees with me. The umpire erred in his judgement. It was an illegal play.
(1) I included the wrong link. Here was the one I meant to include (sorry): http://espn.go.com/blog/newyork/met...b-viewpoint-on-chase-utleys-little-late-slide (Those ESPN links all run into each other).

(2) AT THE TIME I POSTED Torre was still supporting his umpires while reviewing the play, so MLB did not agree with you.

(3) He has since determined that the play was excessive and illegal. So, yeah you were right and I'm glad :love1:.

Now, I'm off to Chicago for Game 3 :banana:.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter