• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Let's have some fun - AKV Resale Speculation

Donald is #1

DIS Veteran
Hi everyone! Let's have some fun and speculate. The questions are:

1) When do you think that we will start seeing AKV resales?

2) What do you think that the price per point will be?

Now, here is my prediction:

1) I think that people will start selling their AKV points in December after they have used this years & maybe next years points during this fall.

2) My guess would be $98 per point. Why? I have no idea. :rotfl2:

Hi everyone! Let's have some fun and speculate. The questions are:

1) When do you think that we will start seeing AKV resales?

2) What do you think that the price per point will be?

Now, here is my prediction:

1) I think that people will start selling their AKV points in December after they have used this years & maybe next years points during this fall.

2) My guess would be $98 per point. Why? I have no idea. :rotfl2:

I would guess Feb, a month after all the holidays

I would think price wise it would have to get under DVC's direct price(which is currently $94 w/incentive) especially if the contracts are stripped

I guessing maybe even $89 to start. (of course depending on where DVC prices go over the that time)

yeah but thats probably a unique circumstance

doesnt seem to be the norm yet.

Plus regarding the $98--who would pay that when they can buy direct for cheaper or get developer points. That should NEVER sell in a million years, if anyone has done even an ounce of homework

On a contract that large, I would agree.

On anything less than 160 points (Disney's minimum).....I can see it selling. And the greater the amount UNDER 160, the faster it'd sell, IMHO.

50 points would probably EASILY fetch that price. I can even see where it would go for "full" list of $104 per point.

On anything less than 160 points (Disney's minimum).....I can see it selling. And the greater the amount UNDER 160, the faster it'd sell, IMHO.

50 points would probably EASILY fetch that price. I can even see where it would go for "full" list of $104 per point.
I would agree that smaller contracts will have higher resale values. We bough two 50-point contracts at AKV for that exact reason. Sadly, the only reasons I would think that someone would have to sell so quickly would be divorce or financial problems :(.

Sadly, the only reasons I would think that someone would have to sell so quickly would be divorce or financial problems :(.

I agree. Since they have a December UY, they haven't even been able to use the points once. :sad1:

Are people still allowed to buy ONLY a small point amount resale and thus have ONLY 50 points? I guess if it's allowed it's a way for someone who can't afford the minimum contract or only figures they need a small amount of points to be able to be a DVC member, and thus that kind of resale would command a premium price for that kind of buyer. I'd sell my other DVC contract before I sold my AKV one since I love that resort and want the priority of booking concierge or savannah view rooms. ---Kathy

Are people still allowed to buy ONLY a small point amount resale and thus have ONLY 50 points? I guess if it's allowed it's a way for someone who can't afford the minimum contract or only figures they need a small amount of points to be able to be a DVC member, and thus that kind of resale would command a premium price for that kind of buyer. I'd sell my other DVC contract before I sold my AKV one since I love that resort and want the priority of booking concierge or savannah view rooms. ---Kathy

Yes, if you are not already a DVC member, then the smallest contract that you can buy through Disney is 160 points.

It is interesting to see a contract for $104. But as dclfun mentions above, I guess that if you only want a small amount, it is worth it to pay more per point than Disney.

I would agree that smaller contracts will have higher resale values. We bough two 50-point contracts at AKV for that exact reason. Sadly, the only reasons I would think that someone would have to sell so quickly would be divorce or financial problems :(.

It could have been someone foolish enough to go through it to get their name on that dumb tapestry

Or maybe they originally called their guide to purchase a 50 point add-on at AKV and was told of the double developer point option. Since you need to buy a minnimum of 100 points, they decided to get 2 - 50 point contracts, which included 200 developer points, with the intention of selling one contract to achieve their original goal of a 50 point AKV add-on. Just a guess but sounds like a great idea.

Or maybe they originally called their guide to purchase a 50 point add-on at AKV and was told of the double developer point option. Since you need to buy a minnimum of 100 points, they decided to get 2 - 50 point contracts, which included 200 developer points, with the intention of selling one contract to achieve their original goal of a 50 point AKV add-on. Just a guess but sounds like a great idea.

I like your idea but with the cost of commission is it worth it?

I like your idea but with the cost of commission is it worth it?

Lets do some math. 200 dev. points x $10(avg.) per point = $2,000.00
Broker commision runs about 10%.
Take $2,000.00 - $520.00 (10% commission on $5,200.00 contract) = $1,480.00 profit.
Now subtract $1,480.00 from $5,200.00 = $3,720.00 net price paid for 50 point AKV contract. divide $3,720.00 by 50 points = $74 per point. Who wouldn't spend $74 per point for AKV?

I also thought the minimum purchase through DVC was 160 points, but I also have heard of people buying a resale for only 50 points ( who were not already DVC members) just so they could go every 3 years- they didn't want more points/more dues. I would have thought that anything under 160 points by a non-current DVC member wouldn't pass ROFR, but perhaps it does? ---Kathy

Broker commission runs about 10%.
Take $2,000.00 - $520.00 (10% commission on $5,200.00 contract) = $1,480.00 profit.
Now subtract $1,480.00 from $5,200.00 = $3,720.00 net price paid for 50 point AKV contract. divide $3,720.00 by 50 points = $74 per point. Who wouldn't spend $74 per point for AKV?

What about closing costs on the resale and is there any maintenance involved? Then you have to way the cost? of restrictions/limitations on the developer points.

Broker commision runs about 10%.

I have searched and found several threads with closing costs being 397 and 20 ROFR fee so it would be 2000-520-397-20 = 1063 advantage assuming a full price sale no maintenance and you don't end up holding the bag because of no buyers.

I also thought the minimum purchase through DVC was 160 points, but I also have heard of people buying a resale for only 50 points ( who were not already DVC members) just so they could go every 3 years- they didn't want more points/more dues. I would have thought that anything under 160 points by a non-current DVC member wouldn't pass ROFR, but perhaps it does? ---Kathy

If you buy through the resale market, you can buy a contract less than 160 points and yes, if you offer the "correct" price per point it will pass ROFR. So, if you want to get your feet wet with a small contract to start out with, then resale is the way to go.

I have searched and found several threads with closing costs being 397 and 20 ROFR fee so it would be 2000-520-397-20 = 1063 advantage assuming a full price sale no maintenance and you don't end up holding the bag because of no buyers.

As the seller there is no closing cost you have to pay. I would make the buyer pay closing costs. I didn't figure in the ROFR charge since it is so minnimal. As for no buyers, there is no AKV available on the market. I'm positive, at least for now, there will be no shortage of buyers for a small AKV contract for a no DVC member.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter