"Let's Look it Up, Mom": An Aspiring Scientist Visits the Fishies-a Sea World PTR

I'm studying and going to sleep soon, but wanted to take a break from studying to acknowledge the one week mark. Can't figure out how to change the ticker.

Anyway, I spent part of the evening getting started in two online classes I'm taking. Hope to get as far as I can before we leave.

I was up late last night binding dd's activity book. Took a while, getting all the holes exactly where I wanted them avoiding punching holes in any of the stickers plus getting it lined up the way I wanted.

Then punching holes in the front and back cover...:headache: I guess I should have known but I didn't expect it to be so difficult to punch holes in something that was laminated. My poor hand.

But running the fuzzy sticks through was easy. I tied each one in what looked like a bow. It was a little tight. It didn't lay flat open like I wanted, but flat enough. I put it in her carry-on.

One week from tonight we'll be sleeping in our hotel room. Arrival day is strictly checking in and sleeping, but we'll have crossed a big hurdle getting through the airport and plane ride. I talked to dd again today about flying and she has good feelings about it, as long as she has something to drink for her ears that is. :thumbsup2

Still have quite a few things to check off my to do lists. I have to make sure I do at least a lesson a day in each of my classes. I have to pay the end of the month bills early since we won't be here and I'm not taking my laptop. I have some laundry to do and still have to pack the bulk of our clothes. I'll pack this weekend. The weather forecast looks great. Hopefully it holds up well, but we'll still have ponchos. Can't go to Orlando without them right?

Our carry-ons are pretty much packed though. I just have to add my planning sheets, the park tickets (e-tickets I can print here and redeem in the park) and next Tuesday night, our boarding passes. :banana: I have to wait until departure day to finish packing dd's carry-on. Don't want to raise suspicions by taking her toys from her room. :rolleyes1

Can't believe it's almost here.

I found it!
You are super organized!
There was a sign at our airport that said children don't have to take off their shoes for security anymore. I wish i had paid more attention to it- it was the first kid free trip i'd taken in years and i was sidetracked.
we have the first years ignite- similar to your jet, and i love it!! i'd buy it again multiple times over.
i want the radian next. the last time i purchased car seats, it just so happened that james and maya each needed three (horrible timing for each to outgrow so many at the same time) so we went wiht the scenera but now i need to start shopping for another and that may be it.
i can't wait to see your TR for sea world!

Ugh! i wish i had thought ahead and checked out the opening day pricing.

I found it!
You are super organized!
There was a sign at our airport that said children don't have to take off their shoes for security anymore. I wish i had paid more attention to it- it was the first kid free trip i'd taken in years and i was sidetracked.
we have the first years ignite- similar to your jet, and i love it!! i'd buy it again multiple times over.
i want the radian next. the last time i purchased car seats, it just so happened that james and maya each needed three (horrible timing for each to outgrow so many at the same time) so we went wiht the scenera but now i need to start shopping for another and that may be it.
i can't wait to see your TR for sea world!

Ugh! i wish i had thought ahead and checked out the opening day pricing.

:welcome:

Glad you made it over. I wish I was that organized all the time. I've learned a lot over time. I would be really happy if dd doesn't have to take her shoes off. She did it, but wasn't real thrilled about it last time. She gave me her "Mom...really?" look. Hope to get her some stroller practice in today. She hasn't pushed the Jet yet, but his other stroller is heavier.

I have been wanting to go on another cruise for a while and dd really wants to try the Mickey boat. I think I concluded that the only way for me to secure early dining was to book opening day and I heard the prices went up over time, so I stalked the cruise section like a hawk. I was expecting some big announcement though and to have to wait for gold and platinum castaway club members to get to book first. It caught me by surprise to be able to book opening day. Thankfully I had the deposit.

I don't know that our particular cruise has increased in price yet, but we are booked on the Dream to go to the Bahamas. For people going to the Caribbean, the ones on the Fantasy on the other hand, seemed to increase over a period of hours on the first day. Dreams Unlimited got us because they offered me a way better on board credit than booking through the DCL website did. Planning vacations so far in advance is still so new to me. I'm probably not going to do a thing in regards to the cruise until after we get back from WDW next June. It will still be a year away at that point. I'm sure I'll be glad I have the time. I'm really glad to have 8 months until our WDW vacation.

:banana: It's the final weekend before the trip. I have to go out today to pick up ponchos and a rain cover for the stroller and somehow get my son's stroller tag laminated. I'll have to carry it in an envelope so dd won't see it. I want to take the children to the park today if it isn't too cold, then to pick up just a few groceries.

Then it's back home for the fun part, :laundy:

But I should be able to finish packing the suitcase once it is done.

I emailed dd's teacher to let her know about the trip next week. I have to pick dd up at 2:00, so I wanted to give her advance notice. I also wanted some feedback on what we should be trying to learn about the animals if anything other than the usual stuff (diet, habitat, reproductive habits, growth, etc.). I also told her I plan to take the children to visit a farm early next month. There's one about an hour from here that hosts a lot of field trips, but also lets individual families visit. There's a pumpkin patch now and an apple orchard. There's a train ride, and a wagon ride you take to get a pumpkin. I also hope to get to a Science Center about 90 minutes from here that we like if there's time.

She was thrilled with my plans and said the children have a project coming up next month where they have to make a notebook about animals and dd will have an advantage with all my plans for her to see live animals. :cool1::cool1: Feeling even better about having made that activity book now. I better be on my job taking notes next week.

:cool1: 10 days to go. I know my ticker says 1 week and 4 days, but I made it before I changed our departure date. I did get a few trip related things done this weekend.

I finally found the right sized paper to print out my son's license plate shaped tag for his stroller. It needed legal sized paper (8.5x14) and neither Wal-Mart nor Target had it. :headache: Ended up going to Office Max for it. Let's just say I'm going to have to come up with some creative ways to get my money's worth out of that paper.

I can't remember who the DISigner was that had the Sea World tag in their file now, but they also had Disney World and Disney Cruise line tags. I think it was DoNatalie, but have to go back and check. So I got it printed and now all I have to do is write his name on each side and get it laminated.

I did get the front and back covers of dd's activity book laminated. I just have to find a flamingo coloring sheet to add and I'll be able to put together. I picked up some fuzzy sticks to bind it together after I punch holes in it. I will also use the fuzzy sticks to hang ds' stroller tag.

So I promised I'd start our touring plan details. Since we'll have 3 days we're going to take our time based on the information on the Sea World site as long as the weather cooperates.

For day 1, Thursday, October 27th, I want to focus on the exhibits and aquariums. My daughter takes a while to get through these. She asks the workers lots of questions and likes to read the information displays. When we went to the zoo, we watched the puffins for 15 minutes. I've read that Sea World also have these electronic interactive stations at certain places too. Dd will love it. Ds is getting more and more interested in watching animals too and I don't want to be worried about getting to a show while we are touring the exhibits.

First thing I will attempt to get us to, depending on the schedule we get is the first dolphin feeding. So that's where we will head off to first. Most people advise lining up 30 minutes prior. I considered the upclose encounter, but it is too much of a possibility she'd back out of it. Once we hopefully feed the dolphins we'll proceed to the exhibits in order as they come on the map. We'll stop and have lunch, then do some shopping and people watch while ds naps.

We'll have a snack once he gets up and pick up the touring. Sea World closes at 6 that day, so around 5, we'll be heading out so we can get back to the hotel in time for dinner. That's it for day 1. Hopefull we get up and out early. I really want to be there when the place opens.

Day 2 is Friday, October 28th. I plan for this to be our Spooktakular day. I read the Happy Harbor rides are the least busy early in the morning so we'll head there first. We'll have lunch after that and people watch while ds naps. Once he gets up, I'll get them into their costumes (if they want) and we'll head to the event. We'll try to have dinner around 6 because that is what time we eat at home. I'll be using our All Day Dine vouchers on this day since we'll be doing 2 meals there.

I have to double check to see if Shamu Rocks is showing on Friday too or just Saturday, but if it is showing Friday night, I plan for us to see it on Friday. I don't like to leave something like that to the last day if it is available. We'll head back to the hotel after the show.

Our last park day is Saturday, October 29th. I plan to see the shows and repeat anything within reason that we missed or want to repeat up to that point. When my son takes his nap, I'll let dd pick something to do she wants as long as he can stay in the stroller and sleep. We'll play this day by ear just by the show schedule.

So, that is pretty much it. I don't make detailed to the minute plans. I've learned not to go any further than this is what we want to do today type of planning, so if anyone's been wondering how in the world does she need 3 days to do Sea World, there you have it. :rotfl2:

I'm really looking forward to getting away. I find that I really need time to just be mom when I can get it, to be with the children without the hustle and bustle and occassional stress of our daily lives. No trip ever comes too soon.

Okay, I've already done what most of us do when our trip to Florida approaches. I checked the weather. I know it is really far out for weather predictions, but I did check accuweather.com because they have a 15 day. I know I know, but curiosity got the best of me once I realized, I could see all 3 of our park days when I looked.

Well, I guess I got what I deserved because when I pulled it up it showed rain ever day. :sad2: We all know places need rain, but we all want it to rain on a week other than the one we are going to be there. :rotfl2: I told myself, FL appears to need the rain. I reminded myself it was too early then said if it did happen at least the temps were mid 80s.

Glutten for punisment, 2 days later I went back to look again and all the rain predictions were gone, but the temps were significantly lower, particularly the daily lows. It read daily highs in the low to mid 70s and lows in the 50s. If that holds true, I better do that sweatshirt I didn't make when I did the t-shirts. Of course when I checked again, it had changed again. Highs in the high 70s and low 80s with rain only on our departure day.

Now, I could certainly roll any of those temps though, I'd prefer higher ones if it's raining. Only time will tell. I'm not packing the bulk of our clothes until probably next Saturday, but I think I'm going to take the swim stuff out of the suitcase. Even if it's warm enough, I don't think I want to bother with putting the children and myself through the logistics of visiting a water park and I don't think time will allow us to visit the hotel pool. I'm bound and determined to keep us to 1 suitcase and taking that stuff out will help too. Packing for Florida any time of year other than summer is tricky, but when it comes to Florida, we all know it's "Have ponchos and a stroller rain cover will travel." And then there's the ever popular and very accurate: "A rainy day in Orlando is better than a sunny day at work."

Next post: what I have to do during out last full week at home before the trip.

A couple of things to keep in mind...on your Day 2, you want to go straight to Happy Harbor. Keep in mind that, that half of the park does not open until 10; so if you're planning on being in the park at RD, you'll have an hour to kill.

Also, with just following the exhibits around the park there are some hidden ones that are semi difficult to find. And ones that are on the map (unless they change the map with in the next week) that are currently closed.

-Manatee Rescue is closed and has a huge construction wall around it. You can still see the Alligators though.

-If you go into the Journey To Atlantis Gift Shop, in the back there are a whole bunch of aquariums that generally get missed; they have Jelly Fish, a Coral Reef Tank, and a floor to walk on and look down and see sharks and stingrays from below and above you!

-Make sure to find the Manta aquarium too! Lots of cool things to see in there!

A couple of things to keep in mind...on your Day 2, you want to go straight to Happy Harbor. Keep in mind that, that half of the park does not open until 10; so if you're planning on being in the park at RD, you'll have an hour to kill.

Also, with just following the exhibits around the park there are some hidden ones that are semi difficult to find. And ones that are on the map (unless they change the map with in the next week) that are currently closed.

-Manatee Rescue is closed and has a huge construction wall around it. You can still see the Alligators though.

-If you go into the Journey To Atlantis Gift Shop, in the back there are a whole bunch of aquariums that generally get missed; they have Jelly Fish, a Coral Reef Tank, and a floor to walk on and look down and see sharks and stingrays from below and above you!

-Make sure to find the Manta aquarium too! Lots of cool things to see in there!

Thanks for the tips. Too bad about the manatees. Dd loves them. Thanks for the tip about HH. I couldn't find on there where it opens at 10. We'll either sleep in a little or have breakfast at the park since we'll be using our All Day Dine that day. Just have to double check if the restaurant that serves breakfast is on the All Day Dine list.

Finally finished packing and picked up the suitcase. It felt like $50. As in what I'd have to give Southwest if I expected them to transport it as I had it. I tried hard to keep us in one bag, but it isn't going to happen. I don't think I overpacked. It was the things I put in that I would normally order from Garden Grocer or buy after arrival that I think made the bag heavy. I thought about ordering from them, but I don't need enough. When I put in everything I needed it came up to $53, but then the delivery fee was added and the tip and I was at $83. No way was I paying that for what I needed.

I pulled out an 18 in upright and tossed a few things into it. I attached it to the big suitcase with the belt so I can still pull it as one bag. It's all about making adjustments right? Better now than at the Southwest counter on Wednesday. Been there done that. Had to pay the money. We were going to Disney.

They lady offered me a Southwest duffle to put some extra stuff in for $25, and I actually had an extra Magical Express sticker, but I left it tag at home. I was too loaded down to carry the duffle from baggage claim, so I was out $50. It was November, but Orlando's weather is so unpredictable, I'd bought dd and ds some summer clothes on clearance for the trip. Left a small donation for Florida's needy children in my hotel room to when we left. My bag made weight and I made good use of the extra clothes. I knew when this trip approached, I had to make sure it didn't happen again. I use Southwest partially because they don't charge for luggage. It was really painful to pay $50 to move one bag.

Anyway, dd still has no idea we are going anywhere, but she is aware that a break is coming. She asked me today if we were going anywhere. I said, "Make sure you do your best the next 3 days, focus on getting through that and you never know what can happen." The last few days are always the hardest when planning any surprise.

Well, here I am the day before departure day and 2 days before we actually hit Sea World. I'm so grateful everyone has stayed well. My son who usually needs a series of breathing treatments to get through a cold got through one without his nebulizer, just using his inhaler. He had a fit this morning because he was a bit clingy and I couldn't hold him. I walked around getting ready with one free arm because I didn't want him crying himself into a stuffy nose. :rotfl:

I think I have probably one more post after this on the PTR portion of the report. The bags are packed, both the ones that will be checked and the ones that will be carried on. I now have 2 checked bags because my big upright felt overweight. I tossed a few things into a small upright. That allowed me to pack a few late night snacks. I connected them with the belt on the big suitcase so I can still pull them as if it were one bag.

What's left? Tonight after dd is in bed, I will print our boarding passes and the email confirming the extra All Day Dine package I bought (so we could have it Friday and Saturday). I also have to check my suitcase and the carry-on bags against my list to make sure I have everything. I'm going to sneak dd's "can't leave the house overnight without these" toys into her carry-on after she is asleep. And put ds' "can't leave the house overnight without these" toys into my carry-on…the quiet ones anyway.

Before that though, there's some grown-up stuff to do. I have to stop at Wal-Greens today because none of our Wal-Marts have ponchos. Then I have to go to Wal-Mart and have a tire replaced and make a payment on my Christmas lay-away. I also have to pay some bills tonight…everything due this week and next week.

I am not taking my laptop, but I will try to post one more time from my phone tomorrow night to let everything know how the big reveal and the flight went. Thanks to all who followed and read along. Since it isn't very long, I'll likely add the TR portion on to this thread when we get back.

We had not even left yet and I made a change. My original plan was to leave the suitcases and the airplane car seat at home and go back for them when I got off work at 1:00. Yesterday, I started to get a strong feeling I should abandon that plan. It was just as strong as the feeling I got when we were preparing for our first cruise 4 years ago.

Everything was going great. My mom had arrived at our house on time for the drive to the airport. Dh woke up feeling pretty good. We were all dressed. I heard a clear voice say, “Ask (dh’s name) if he has his passport. I forgot until we had started down the street but then I said, “Oh, yeah, honey, do you have your passport?” Without even a shiver he said “Nope.” I whipped the car around asking him how he planned on getting on the boat without it. He said he heard me say he didn’t need it. Then my mom starts freaking because she is traveling with her license and BC. I said, “Yes, you don’t need it if you have a license and birth certificate (that calmed my mom down), but you can’t cruise with just your license. The passport people still have your birth certificate. Unless you want to stay in Florida you need to get it and now.” We laughed all the way to the airport while dd (4 at the time) kept asking what was so funny.

So, I wasn’t about to ignore this feeling. But my main reason other than doing one last check at home was so dd would not see bags this morning. How would I hide the bags from dd? We have a minivan so there’s no trunk to separate us from our things.

But then I remembered how dark it is when we leave our house in the mornings. If I reset the interior lights to “off”, meaning they would not come on when I opened the door, and packed correctly and tossed something over the stuff, I could pull it off, but we had to get out of the house at a decent time. The light of day would surely reveal at least the shape of the stuff behind the children.

After she was asleep last night, I tossed those favorite toys into her carry-on, put ponytails in her favorite doll's hair and loaded up the van. My one issue was getting the favorite doll into the van today.

The doll is Princess Tiana as a little girl and in the movie she wore two ponytails, one on each side. That is how dd is wearing her hair right now, so she asked me to freshen them up for her. Good timing right? My issue was getting the doll into the van this morning. She sleeps with it and asked me to make sure I brought her back to bed after I did her hair. Well, the children are allowed to bring in a favorite toy each Friday. Since today is the last day before the break, the teacher said they could do it today. Dd originally picked a different toy, but when I reminded her this morning she said she’d changed her mind about it. I saw my opening. I said, “Would you like to take Tiana instead?” She nodded. YES! So, Tiana made the van this morning. She’s at school with dd.

I put Tiana’s extra clothes into dd’s carry-on while she was asleep. I know it sounds like a lot but the one thing about pulling off a surprise trip, particularly the “we’re going to the airport right now” kind of surprise trip is you don’t want it ruined by leaving a favorite toy behind. Dd really related to the little girl Tiana because it was obvious in the movie Tiana's father had died, but it was not obvious at what point in her life that he died. Dd concluded he died when Tiana was little, just like her dad died when she was little. I do not dare not bring it or leave her clothes behind.

So far so good. Between the dark morning and her usual “wake me again when we get to school” mood, she had no clue there were two suitcases, a car seat bag, her carry-on and the stroller (which is always there) right behind her in the van. When I returned to the van after signing her in to before school care, the light of day had just revealed the shape of the large suitcase. I drove to work with the satisfaction I had successfully kept the trip a secret. Once I got here, I used some tape to put the “You are Going to Sea World” sign I posted earlier to the inside of her window. So, when she closes her sliding door, it will be revealed to her.

It will work better this way. It will leave me more time to get the spending money and put a couple of things in the mail before I pick them up. Oh well, morning break's over. 2 hours and 15 minutes to go.

Well the reveal went great and we are having a great time. Big change in the touring plan on the hrizon, but we're rolling with it.

Hello all,

We are back and we had a wonderful trip. I have over 300 photos to sort through, so it will be a bit before I get the ones I want loaded to photo bucket so I can do the TR right. But I'll start with a summary.

Travel day went well. I put the sign I made on the inside of dd's window and when she shut the door she almost fell out of her seat. A bit of a bump in the road at the airport. Terminal parking was full. :scared1: 9000 plus spaces in the daily lot and all taken. I had to turn around and take us to a park and ride lot. Thank goodness we had plenty of time. All in all it wasn't bad and I'm now considering using it again. Ds did okay on the plane, but something was bothering him. I found out once we got to the hotel it was his tummy. Back to back diaper changes and he was himself again. I don't think I'll be traveling at dinner time again. That is his usual time to...well. You can guess.

The Springhill Suites was very nice and I would not hesitate to stay there again. The room was exactly what we needed with plenty of space to spread out. The shuttle service was reliable and on schedule and the included breakfast was typical, but they also had fruit which I don't often see. The front desk staff was friendly and very helpful.

Touring wise, we accomplished everything we "wanted" to do. We had some rain, especially on Friday, but everyone kept a good attitude. Dd said it was still better than a sunny day when I have to work. First I'll say, dd declined to do the Spooktakular event, but when we passed people they seemed to be enjoying it. Other than playing at length in the bubble machines they had set up, she just wanted to keep touring and I would be glad for that later.

A serious warning from the shuttle driver that took us back to the hotel on Thursday evening would have me making a major change in our touring plan. More on that later.

It was good to get away and it is good to be home. I'm getting more and more confident about traveling alone with the children.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter