Let's remember why we're here

WebmasterKathy

Administrator
Administrator
Things have been chaotic on this forum for the past few days, so let's clarify a few things.

The Camping forum, including the Camping Community Board, are part of the DISboards. The DISboards has guidelines that apply to ALL of our forums, which you can read here:

http://www.wdwinfo.com/guidelines.htm

There aren't really a lot of rules, most of them are the kind of thing we all learned in Kindergarten.

Play nice. Be polite to others. No profanity. It's not nice to be a bully.

And if don't have something nice to say, maybe you shouldn't say it at all.

If you're here, we hope it's because you enjoy talking about Disney and helping other people plan and enjoy their Disney trips. If you're not happy here, we hope you find another place that does suit your needs.

Yes, some posters have made some bad choices and found themselves no longer welcome here. Most of them have done this through hostility: bullying and insulting other posters or our moderators or webmasters.

If you bully or ridicule another poster, we'll consider this a personal attack and you'll find you're no longer welcome here. (Refer back to what you learned in Kindergarten, or to our guidelines.)

If you choose to disregard the direction of our moderators or webmasters, same thing.

If you tell me or any other webmaster to kiss your *** (as one poster here chose to do), you'll get a Fastpass out of here. :)

In the end, we're hearing and seeing that the Camping forum has not been as welcoming and inclusive of new posters or those not considered "in the clique" as we would like. There are a LOT of great people with lots of knowledge and the desire to participate and help others here. We will have an atmosphere that welcomes and values all these voices, and will act quickly to eliminate any outbursts of hazing or hostility.

If you have any comments or questions about our moderating or our policies, address those to the admin team through email at admin@wdwinfo.com.

If you're here to help make this a better place, thanks for sticking it out!

I understand that this will likely get me booted from this forum. Some times you just have to say your piece and live with the consequences. Not to mention this post will likely get poofed... or the thread locked.

Play nice. Be polite to others. No profanity. It's not nice to be a bully.

And if don't have something nice to say, maybe you shouldn't say it at all.

If you bully or ridicule another poster, we'll consider this a personal attack and you'll find you're no longer welcome here. (Refer back to what you learned in Kindergarten, or to our guidelines.)

In all the threads I've read (not every thread, but lots of them) I've only seen one person being rude and a bully. He was one who was excited by the actions of the moderators. He was triumphant in it. Called the the people of this board many unfriendly names.

In the end, we're hearing and seeing that the Camping forum has not been as welcoming and inclusive of new posters or those not considered "in the clique" as we would like. There are a LOT of great people with lots of knowledge and the desire to participate and help others here. We will have an atmosphere that welcomes and values all these voices, and will act quickly to eliminate any outbursts of hazing or hostility.

Every thread I've ever read (I have been here EVERYDAY for about 5 months), has been welcoming and friendly. Someone always jumps in quickly to answer nicely. Often checking back in to make sure the answer was enough. So they get off topic and start joking around after the answer's been given. Almost every thread worth reading on every forum I've been on gets off topic and there is were your repeat customers come from.

As for the "clique", I've never declared myself one of them... however, they've made it clear that if you love the Fort and visiting this forum your a fiend. I wouldn't be ashamed to be called one.

I also wonder if you see how many people who don't call themselves fiends, are jumping in to defend those who do? Or just how many are starting to call themselves that in sympathy for the fiends.

If you have any comments or questions about our moderating or our policies, address those to the admin team through email at admin@wdwinfo.com.

I have already sent a pm to Webmasterpete. I have little hope of any reply.

If you're here to help make this a better place, thanks for sticking it out!

I came to get information. I stayed to be a part of a community that is now being destroyed. This was a one place in a million due to those very people who have been booted off or left of their own will. They were the reason this forum was so good. They gave accurate information and made it fun at the same time. TCD's trip reports were worth the trip in and of themselves.

I am waiting to see what Webmasterpete does about the situation. I know that I will not be missed if/when I leave. However, the 1,000 new members that sign up everyday that need answers might just miss some of the other people who leave.

Hello everyone,

I been visiting the Dis for about 3 years. I have never posted before, just shy I guess, but I am so upset about what has been going on I could cry.

Our family started going to the Fort in 1988 and have made over 40 trips since. I loved reading the trip reports of many on this board. And while I might not agree with everyone I enjoyed reminiscing about the old days and taking a peak at new things coming.

I check the boards 3 or more times daily just to see what the Fiends are up to and to camp vicariously through them. Please bring the fun back to the camping board. I miss it

Cherie

I was taught in kindergarten to confront the person who offends you one on one, not in front of those who didn't apply.

TCD and the Fort Fiends are the wealth of information that most people need re: camping and FW.

:thumbsup2
I understand that this will likely get me booted from this forum. Some times you just have to say your piece and live with the consequences. Not to mention this post will likely get poofed... or the thread locked.

In all the threads I've read (not every thread, but lots of them) I've only seen one person being rude and a bully. He was one who was excited by the actions of the moderators. He was triumphant in it. Called the the people of this board many unfriendly names.

Every thread I've ever read (I have been here EVERYDAY for about 5 months), has been welcoming and friendly. Someone always jumps in quickly to answer nicely. Often checking back in to make sure the answer was enough. So they get off topic and start joking around after the answer's been given. Almost every thread worth reading on every forum I've been on gets off topic and there is were your repeat customers come from.

As for the "clique", I've never declared myself one of them... however, they've made it clear that if you love the Fort and visiting this forum your a fiend. I wouldn't be ashamed to be called one.

I also wonder if you see how many people who don't call themselves fiends, are jumping in to defend those who do? Or just how many are starting to call themselves that in sympathy for the fiends.

I came to get information. I stayed to be a part of a community that is now being destroyed. This was a one place in a million due to those very people who have been booted off or left of their own will. They were the reason this forum was so good. They gave accurate information and made it fun at the same time. TCD's trip reports were worth the trip in and of themselves.

I am waiting to see what Webmasterpete does about the situation. I know that I will not be missed if/when I leave. However, the 1,000 new members that sign up everyday that need answers might just miss some of the other people who leave.
:thumbsup2
if this gets you "poofed" they can "poof" my butt too

+1 I couldn't agree more!

I stand by most of what you said except I disagree with the statement that we have a clique on the camping board - a clique is typically exclusive - our community has never been excusive of anybody - even the trolls. If they had reasonable advice or something to offer the community - we would welcome them with open arms. Anyone can claim to be a FIEND - as the thread earlier this week proved - how is that in any way an excusive clique?

I stand by most of what you said except I disagree with the statement that we have a clique on the camping board - a clique is typically exclusive - our community has never been excusive of anybody - even the trolls. If they had reasonable advice or something to offer the community - we would welcome them with open arms. Anyone can claim to be a FIEND - as the thread earlier this week proved - how is that in any way an excusive clique?

I see many cliques on this board, if you will. There's one in the W.I.S.H. forum, there's a couple in the craft forum, etc. But the funny thing is, no matter if you know the folks or not, you're welcome there. Same with the Camping forum. Same, pretty much elsewhere here in Dis land. However, just like last year's green bean casserole, some things keep coming back around that should have died off long ago. Hence the issues of today.

Was using her words... cliques are in middle/high school..

I couldn't agree more!

Folks except for one exception about posting under a different username being incorrect you will notice I have been absent for almost all of these recent threads. It's not that I'm worried about being on someone's "naughty" list (best word I could think of since we just watched "Santa Jr." that DW recently taped), but having been a moderator on a major website for several years I think I know little a bit about some of this stuff and how it works. Hopefully, I'm not stepping over the line anywhere here and I don't think I am, but I think it's worth sharing some of my thoughts on all the recent threads and posts disappearing and even saying that is getting close to the borderline, but hopefully it passes muster. Also, please do not take any of this post as me "preaching to the choir" ... I'm only trying to help. There are a lot of good folks here and I hate to see we loose someone unnecessarily thru them just not paying attention which I think may have happened in a case or two already which IMHO is a shame. When I get into a somewhat "heated" discussion I take the suggestion that Kathy has already I think mentioned and that is to take a break, step away from the keyboard and give it a rest. For me that is not even looking back at the thread for several days or maybe never if I think I have said all that I wanted. That might be viewed as running and hiding, but I call it self preservation.

1. Kathy clearly stated what to do and how to communicate if you had any questions about moderation issue or policies in her first post in this thread. Please take the hint ... that is the only way to do this and all the admins including Pete will see it. Trying to do it thru the forums as you should now be seeing just isn't going to work and questioning a mod/admin on what he/she has done or how it was done is just a non starter as I think has been shown to be true in some of the most recent threads. As a corollary to this the public forums is not IMO the place to talk about individual members and you will find that will probably be a non starter ... that I feel is what PMs are for, but that is JMHO.

2. Moderators/Admins, etc. simply will not discuss moderations in the public forums ... end of story. There is a very structured set of guidelines here and I would recommend in the heat of the reply that you are passionate about is to take a deep breath and go and completely read the guidelines for pitfalls and possible infractions that might be in your post. We are now in the spotlight and what might have slipped by in the past just won't now. Just read the Guidelines and follow them. There is a good description of the main and sub forum here and make sure your posts are in the right forum and follow the letter of that description.

3. The Website I was involved in which is now called "TheDieselStop" had a private forum that only mods/admins and the site owner had access to. I can only assume DIS has the same setup and I can only tell you it is used "A LOT". The rest of the comments here are based on my experience there and may or may not be used here, but some level I feel confident is. There was also a forum where deleted threads went so they could be edited and then restored or reviewed by others should the situation require that. At the time removing individual posts did not go to a specific forum but the site owner could get them from the server if really required. I don't know how DIS works and again the powers to be won't discuss this and remember this site is not a democracy, but as on the the site I moderated on, we called it a "benevolent dictatorship" whose leader was the site owner. Nothing gets done open loop style w/o some sort of checks and balances and I would often ask another mod in the private forum to review what I was considering doing before I did it thru this private forum and unless it was really egregious I always checked ahead of time on a potential ban before I did it and often the site owner would do the banning before I even got a chance. I know some of you hate this phrase, but "TRUST ME" any mod or admin that tries to go "postal" for lack of a better word would be history and "poof" doesn't even come close to describing what the other mods/admins and site owner(s) would be doing.

5. If you are banned, either temporarily or permanently don't think you can hide behind a new username. In serious situations the webmaster or site owner has the ability to report abuses to the "Internet God" (i.e. bascially your ISP provider) requesting action to be taken on abuse of the internet and then you will really have problems. This is rare, but as of about six or so years ago was a real possibility and I personally saw it in one or two instances.

That's about it and Kathy or any other DIS mod/admin that reads this feel free to edit it as you feel is necessary which won't bother me in the least. I think I understand how the system works and while some of it I might not like, it is what it is and I don't have to like it ... that's not my decision ... my only decision is to accept it or move on and leave. My recommendation is to go back and start trying to help those coming here for our knowledge and do so in strict accordance with the DIS guidelines and things will I think settle down very quickly.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and hopefully it might help some a little understand better and that's all I am trying to do.

P.S. I probably will not respond to any questions here, but will try thru PMs since I have said what I wanted and it really is IMO not a discussion here in the topic of this thread ... these are just my thoughts and opinions.

Larry

I frequently read this board, but very seldom post, so my username will be virtually unknown... which is okay.

I have no connection to the Fort. I've never stayed there and probably never will. Last year was the first time I ever set foot in the campgrounds and I was amazed to see the dynamics of the resort- both in accommodations, recreation, but most of all the people. I went with a group of friends and we wandered the sites looking at Halloween decorations. We had a grand time chatting up Disney, sports, and music with the campers. We got terribly lost in one loop and a family noticed and offered us a ride on their cart back to car park. You don't see that compassion and close-knit community at any other Disney resort. It truly impacted me, which is why I read these boards.

I don't know the difference between the 400 loop and the 800 loop (are those even real loop #s?), nor between a full or partial hook-up. I couldn't tell you where the gift shop is or find my way to a particular cabin #. But ya know what? The people here don't care. We can still talk Disney trivia, reminisce about River Country, and share in the joy of seeing fireworks from the Fort beach. If there's a clique here, I have never felt excluded- and I would certainly be the first to be considered an outsider.

I've felt excluded on other boards- the podcast board, for one. There has always been issues with cliques there, but I still love the information I receive and can appreciate the friendships that others have. I have enough "real life friends" that I'm not upset over it, but I know that if both myself and a "popular" poster both wrote the same thread word-for-word, they would be dozens of replies and I'd get maybe 2-3. Who cares? It's not gonna ruffle my feathers! :confused3

We also need to take into account that there's a reason for so many subforums- they're based on special interest and will attract specific crowds. I would feel out of place in the DVC forum as I don't own DVC, or the Universal forums because I've never been to universal, or the families forum because I don't have kids; that's okay!! I can understand why not everyone "gets" camping- I don't understand it either, but I can appreciate what we all do love about the Fort- the atmosphere, the entertainment, the cast.. etc. There are certain resorts I can't stand- Pop Century for one- so I leave Pop lovers alone. I don't crash their thread saying how much I hate it!

I have SO much more that I could say about the politics of the DisBoards in general, but that will go in an e-mail to Pete himself. I've seen inconsistency in that some people can break rules while others get put in time out immediately. We're all human, I get it. This is just a message where people hide behind their usernames and say things they would never say face to face. I hate to lose valuable posters, but I am of the belief that you should always stand up for what is right. If that means you cannot stay here with a good conscience, then please leave, for your own sake and sanity. It's their loss, not yours. "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." ~Dr. Seuss

I will now get off my soapbox and the countdown to deletion can resume.

All I can say is WOW!! I used to mostly lurk here and posted every so often... ALWAYS enjoyed every thread I read and can only remember 1 poster ever being annoying and getting under everyone's skin... I had some spare time and thought I would read through some posts and try to get a few laughs in... I saw that the "1" is still here unfortunately but the ones I enjoyed reading are lacking in posts... Guess i will be up reading a lot to catch up..... so gonna get me a box o donuts and a large coffee and see if I can figure out what is going on! But it doesn't look good.

I frequently read this board, but very seldom post, so my username will be virtually unknown... which is okay.

I have no connection to the Fort. I've never stayed there and probably never will. Last year was the first time I ever set foot in the campgrounds and I was amazed to see the dynamics of the resort- both in accommodations, recreation, but most of all the people. I went with a group of friends and we wandered the sites looking at Halloween decorations. We had a grand time chatting up Disney, sports, and music with the campers. We got terribly lost in one loop and a family noticed and offered us a ride on their cart back to car park. You don't see that compassion and close-knit community at any other Disney resort. It truly impacted me, which is why I read these boards.

I don't know the difference between the 400 loop and the 800 loop (are those even real loop #s?), nor between a full or partial hook-up. I couldn't tell you where the gift shop is or find my way to a particular cabin #. But ya know what? The people here don't care. We can still talk Disney trivia, reminisce about River Country, and share in the joy of seeing fireworks from the Fort beach. If there's a clique here, I have never felt excluded- and I would certainly be the first to be considered an outsider.

I've felt excluded on other boards- the podcast board, for one. There has always been issues with cliques there, but I still love the information I receive and can appreciate the friendships that others have. I have enough "real life friends" that I'm not upset over it, but I know that if both myself and a "popular" poster both wrote the same thread word-for-word, they would be dozens of replies and I'd get maybe 2-3. Who cares? It's not gonna ruffle my feathers! :confused3

We also need to take into account that there's a reason for so many subforums- they're based on special interest and will attract specific crowds. I would feel out of place in the DVC forum as I don't own DVC, or the Universal forums because I've never been to universal, or the families forum because I don't have kids; that's okay!! I can understand why not everyone "gets" camping- I don't understand it either, but I can appreciate what we all do love about the Fort- the atmosphere, the entertainment, the cast.. etc. There are certain resorts I can't stand- Pop Century for one- so I leave Pop lovers alone. I don't crash their thread saying how much I hate it!

I have SO much more that I could say about the politics of the DisBoards in general, but that will go in an e-mail to Pete himself. I've seen inconsistency in that some people can break rules while others get put in time out immediately. We're all human, I get it. This is just a message where people hide behind their usernames and say things they would never say face to face. I hate to lose valuable posters, but I am of the belief that you should always stand up for what is right. If that means you cannot stay here with a good conscience, then please leave, for your own sake and sanity. It's their loss, not yours. "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." ~Dr. Seuss

I will now get off my soapbox and the countdown to deletion can resume.

3 ... 2 ... 1 ...

I wouldn't be surprised if your post went away. Mine did, and all I did was question the snarky part of the first post regarding Fastpasses. And I never got an explanation. Evidently some people are allowed to be sarcastic but others aren't. FWIW, I don't think sarcasm is wrong ... snarkiness yes, but sarcasm no.

OT, but did you know that the average age that a human understands sarcasm is 10? My 15-year-old didn't "get it" until a couple of years ago, so he was behind the curve a bit. My youngest understands it already, and he's only 7. Just one of my useless facts. I'm full of them. Just don't ask me what I had for dinner last night because I couldn't tell you. :lmao:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter