lets talk vinager

pixxi

Mouseketeer
I just bought a gallon of white vinager. What are all the things I can do with it. I know I have seen many way to use it and save money over the years. Now I'm ready to do so! Please share all the tips and trick to using vinager to save.

1/4-1/2 cup in with soap when washing towels to remove smells
run through coffee makes to clean
combine with water to clean hardwood floors
Add to dyes for coloring eggs or setting colors for T-Dye

Soak pre-1982 copper pennies for Disney pressed penny machines. :)

They come out nice and shiny.

Nothing cleans a bathtub like 1:1 blue dawn and hot vinegar. Swish together in a spray bottle, spray the tub and let it sit for a few minutes to a few hours. Wipe with a rag and rinse.

Scrubbing Bubbles doesn't even come close to working as well. :thumbsup2

Nothing cleans a bathtub like 1:1 blue dawn and hot vinegar. Swish together in a spray bottle, spray the tub and let it sit for a few minutes to a few hours. Wipe with a rag and rinse.

Scrubbing Bubbles doesn't even come close to working as well. :thumbsup2

We do this as well. Although we mix equal parts in one of those sponge scrubbers with the handle dispenser and leave it in the shower. That way when you're taking a shower you can scrub a little bit at a time. Our shower has been super spotless since. It's awesome. Make sure you have a non-skid mat in your shower though.

vinegar is proven to kill as many germs as bleach...:cool1: I use a cup with every load of laundry for a little extra disinfecting power:rotfl: I make a general spray cleaner for the house, equal parts water, wh. vinegar,and rubbing alcohol...disinfecting,cheap,and works great!:thumbsup2 I keep a spray bottle in each bathroom,plus one under the kitchen sink.
since vinegar is great at deoderizing pet messes,this spray is great too for cleaning up those little presents our pets leave at times....
I also mix 1/4 c vinegar with 3/4 c olive oil,and use that to clean wood furniture, when it really needs a rubdown/clean/shine-works great!(in a spray bottle too)

we use it for cleaning glass. We have hard water so we use it instead of Jet Dry in the dishwasher, we also soak our glassware in it to remove the spots that do get on them. We used it many times to clean a glass aquarium before we put water and fish in them, works great every time.

What don't I use vinegar for? When I bring home a big bottle I like to divide it up - some goes to the laundry room for use as fabric softener, some goes in an old dawn bottle for dishwasher rinse aid. I put some under the sink in mason jars with whatever rind of citrus I have saved in my freezer- I date it and wait 2 weeks and then use the lemon or orange vinegar for cleaning- smells much nicer! When the weather is good the kids use baking soda and vinegar to make volcanoes and rockets. Recently discoverd ants hate lemons and vinegar, so my lemon vinegar doubles as ant spray. I also spritz it in the kids shoes to keep them fresh since they all hate socks it is totally a neccesity!

I make orange vinegar by dropping my orange peels into a jar of vinegar. After a couple of weeks, I strain it into my spray bottle to use for cleaning. My DH can't stand the smell of straight vinegar, but after I used the orange vinegar in my steam mop, he came into the house and said, "Smells good in here - what is it?" I also keep the Dawn/vinegar mix in the shower and run it around before I shower, then rinse it off. No hard water buildup in there on our glass doors, and believe me, we are the hard water capital of the state!

Love using it as fabric softener. Clothes smell like vinegar when they come out of the washer, but when they are dry - no smell, soft, and no static! Love it.

MrsDrewsky said:
We do this as well. Although we mix equal parts in one of those sponge scrubbers with the handle dispenser and leave it in the shower. That way when you're taking a shower you can scrub a little bit at a time. Our shower has been super spotless since. It's awesome. Make sure you have a non-skid mat in your shower though.

Ok I'm probably a dummy---does the vinegar need to be heated just to mix with the dawn?

If you used cloth diapers, fabric softener and bleach are big no-nos. so I used vinegar in my washer (just dumped it in the fabric softener dispenser). I also pour straight vinegar into the toilet and walk away. A quick flush later and there is usually nothing left!!
Not a cleaning tip, but when you make pie crust or meriunge (sp?) add a scant tablespoon (I use red wine vinegar for this). Flaky crust and delicate meriunge every time.

Heather

I love this thread ! So many great uses for vinegar. I am going to use all these ideas for my spring cleaning!

White vinegar is the only thing I use to clean tile floors. It really helps clean the grout,too.

Not a cleaning tip, but if you get sunburned or stung by a wasp or bee, take a wash cloth or paper towel and poor vinegar on it. Wrap it around the effected area for 15-20 minutes and it takes the "sting" out of the sunburn and bites. Works like a charm every time!

I also use it to clean my laminate and tile floors. I mix with water to dilute.

Do a vinegar and water soak (I think it's 1:8? But really just know how many glugs to pour in my sink) on almost all the produce you bring into the house. It kills spores that would make your fruit and veggies turn. My produce coop stuff comes into the house all at once but even strawberries can last 3 weeks once rinsed.

I read on Pinterest recently that you can use vinegar in place of round up to kill weeds and unwanted grass. I am going to give that try this spring. I have a large area of grass I want to kill to make a flower bed and vinegar will be A LOT cheaper than a ton of round up.

I run vinegar through my coffee pot 1x/month

I run it through my dishwasher every other week

I run it through my washing machine to clean it once or twice a month and also do all my towels with baking soda and vinegar when needed

I use a mix of dish soup, baking soda & vinegar to scrub my shower & bathtub (but I'm going to try the spray bottle thing)

Once a month, I dump some baking soda, followed by vinegar down all my drains & toilets and then pour a tea kettle full of hot water down each to unclog all the drains (time consuming, but it's been helpful).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter