Let's use this thread to keep track of IGT, OGT and VGT assignments?

I have a few questions about booking last minute. I have a four day cruise reserved on June 8 Disney dream with two cabins. They are inside cabins and They were almost $6000 because I booked only a month ago. I have never bookled last minute and I am a little nervous to try it.

Does anyone know if the beginning of June is a hard time to get a last minute cruise? And also when they open the IGT VGT rates do you book them right away or do they get lower if you wait a little Longer? I have read quite a bit of this post so I think I understand that they come out about a month to two months before the sail date? Do you have to book these reservations online or can you call Disney Cruise line?
I guess I am just trying to get the confidence to cancel this reservation and wait till it gets closer to try to get a l better price? Thanks for any help for advice

A lot of schools are still in session in early June but most schools down South are already closed by then. Just like with buying airfare, flexibility is the key to getting good rates. Is your baby your only child? Would you be able to sail during the school year? How flexible is your work about getting time off?
Did you already book flights that have a change fee? In other words, does it have to be June 8? What if June 4 had *GT rates?

I've never really looked at *GT rates until just lately because it's so hard to get time off work and that is not very flexible at all. So once I'd get the time off, often 1 year in advance, I'd feel the need to get it all booked. It's that old-school mind set that makes me want to plan super early but it seems to be pointless these days since most sailings have *GT rates, pretty much all fall & winter so far.
I now wish I'd been paying closer attention to the history of these earlier last year.

I think if all 4 of us were sailing and I held out for *GT rates which never showed up and then prices went up and I already bought flights, and I'd be stuck paying some exorbitant cruise fare, I'd want to have a "Plan B" of something else to do in FL. Just in case. I wouldn't want the feeling like I was forced into paying a high cruise fare.

It's a gamble so booking now or not booking would depend on how much you can stand to not have your plans set.
Things keep changing with DCL over the years so it's hard to predict how the summer will sell.
When there were only 2 ships, you would be gouged in price if you didn't book within the first month that dates were released. Sometimes, the first day of release, cruises would sell out. Specials were so rare it was practically unheard of except for a couple of Kids Sail Free specials once the Dream was under construction. Perhaps people were holding out to sail on the new ship?

Then demand for the Dream was crazy high the first 1yr to 1.5 years then leveled off. Now I see *GT rates for the Dream which 2-3 yrs ago I would never have believed. Then the Fantasy entered service which also had high demand for the first year. So now that they have 4 ships to fill and the new-ship smell is gone they will have to try harder to fill all those cabins.

Overall I've found that when you look at prices across kids' summer vacation (which up here is around June 18 until the day after Labor Day) the later in August you look, the cheaper the prices. The only way we could afford to do Alaska was to choose the last week in August and came home on Labor Day. We were tired the next day but it was worth it. Prices were thousands more for late June & July.

Who knows what the summer will bring? :confused:

I'm looking for a *GT for a 3-nt escape in March but it's just ds13 & I and we're not so picky. I have a dummy date I could use to book if *GT rates never come out but I don't mind playing the waiting game. It was a little bit of torture at first but if we can get a VGT rate for the same as February's, it will be the same price as an 11C with the 10% OBB discount.

That is worth waiting for. popcorn::

Thanks a bunch!! That gives me a lot to consider! You are right about the ships. I never really thought about the fact that when we sailed on the Dream, it was the first year out so it was totally packed. Now that it's been a little bit, we might get lucky! Fingers crossed! :thumbsup2

Thanks a bunch!! That gives me a lot to consider! You are right about the ships. I never really thought about the fact that when we sailed on the Dream, it was the first year out so it was totally packed. Now that it's been a little bit, we might get lucky! Fingers crossed! :thumbsup2

I had never heard of DCL back when they only had two ships, but it does seem like they have been offering more GT rates the last year or so. I think with all four ships in Florida during the Winter, Spring and Fall you will see more GT rates. Not sure what going to happen in the Summer, but I would probably wait it out.

Anxiously waiting for my room assignment on the 2/2 sailing of the Dream!! :) First time we have booked VGT room so crossing our fingers we get anything but the navigator's verandah! I suppose even that will be fine since I'll be on the ship instead of working!

#1. Did you book a IGT, OGT or VGT room, and on which ship? Fantasy

#2. How many days before the cruise were you assigned your room? 11
#3. What category (ex: 7a, 4c, 11c or whatever) and room # did you get? 5a deck 10, forward, portside.

#4. Are you happy with your assignment or do you feel like you got a "leftover"- undesirable room/location? Happy. I was expecting deck 10. I'm glad we're in a quiet area, and not under the pool or cabanas.

#5. If you booked more than one room, are they close together? N/A

#6. How many days before departure date did you book? about 60

I think it would be interesting to see what kind of rooms are being assigned when booking a IGT, OGT or VGT room. I'm interested to see what categories are assigned, if the assigned rooms are in desirable locations, etc. I didn't see a thread that followed these over time, so if you booked one of these rooms could you please post your assignments when you get them (or post now if you recently got your assignment)? Please include:

#1. Did you book a IGT, OGT or VGT room, and on which ship?OGT
#2. How many days before the cruise were you assigned your room?10
#3. What category (ex: 7a, 4c, 11c or whatever) and room # did you get?9A
#4. Are you happy with your assignment or do you feel like you got a "leftover"- undesirable room/location?Happy, wanted a big porthole and like our deck/location
#5. If you booked more than one room, are they close together?N/A
#6. How many days before departure date did you book?About 40

I think tracking this info over time will give us a better idea of what we might anticipate when booking one of these bargain rooms...

See answers above in blue

#1. Did you book a IGT, OGT or VGT room, and on which ship? OGT Dream

#2. How many days before the cruise were you assigned your room? 10
#3. What category (ex: 7a, 4c, 11c or whatever) and room # did you get? 9B 2004

#4. Are you happy with your assignment or do you feel like you got a "leftover"- undesirable room/location? Definately a leftover. Forward lowest level

#5. If you booked more than one room, are they close together? Yes connecting

Undesirable location however did get connecting rooms.

This is our first cruise, and we booked an IGT room. How will we know when we get a room assignment? Will we get an email or do we need to keep logging in and checking? Only 46 days left!

This is our first cruise, and we booked an IGT room. How will we know when we get a room assignment? Will we get an email or do we need to keep logging in and checking? Only 46 days left!

Keep logging in and checking. We got ours at 15 days out.

Sent from my Tricorder using DISBoards

Just got it this morning!

#1. Did you book a IGT, OGT or VGT room, and on which ship? VGT on the Dream

#2. How many days before the cruise were you assigned your room? 11

#3. What category (ex: 7a, 4c, 11c or whatever) and room # did you get? 5A, Deck 9 Forward

#4. Are you happy with your assignment or do you feel like you got a "leftover"- undesirable room/location? I'm fine with the location but would have preferred a Cat 4 since I'm sharing the room with more people than usual.

#1. Did you book a IGT, OGT or VGT room, and on which ship? IGT on the Magic
#2. How many days before the cruise were you assigned your room? 10 days
#3. What category (ex: 7a, 4c, 11c or whatever) and room # did you get? 11A 6583
#4. Are you happy with your assignment or do you feel like you got a "leftover"- undesirable room/location? Slightly worried since we are over the Oceaneers club, but reports say it is nice and quiet so we are happy.
#5. If you booked more than one room, are they close together? n/a
#6. How many days before departure date did you book? 59 days

#1. VGT and IGT on the Magic
#3. 6a and 11c
#4. Are you happy with your assignment or do you feel like you got a "leftover"- undesirable room/location? Happy with it, I think we got a bit of an upgrade from navigators VGT, some people would not be happy though because we are on dec 5, but I am happy to be near the kids club :-)
#5. If you booked more than one room, are they close together? yes, across the hall that is the best part
#6. How many days before departure date did you book? maybe 45

#1. Did you book a IGT, OGT or VGT room, and on which ship? VGT on Magic, 2 adults.

#2. How many days before the cruise were you assigned your room? 9 days

#3. What category (ex: 7a, 4c, 11c or whatever) and room # did you get? 6A, Handicap Accessible - 6154

#4. Are you happy with your assignment or do you feel like you got a "leftover"- undesirable room/location? It should be OK, we'll know for sure when get in it. Huge balcony is a bonus. Glad to not get a Navigator's Balcony.

#6. How many days before departure date did you book? 45 days

#1. Did you book a IGT, OGT or VGT room, and on which ship? VGT on the Dream
#3. What category (ex: 7a, 4c, 11c or whatever) and room # did you get? 5C
#4. Are you happy with your assignment or do you feel like you got a "leftover"- undesirable room/location? Pretty far forward, but cheap rate for a verandah
#5. If you booked more than one room, are they close together? n/a
#6. How many days before departure date did you book? 50ish days

#1. Did you book a IGT, OGT or VGT room, and on which ship? VGT Disney Dream
#2. How many days before the cruise were you assigned your room? 10 Days
#3. What category (ex: 7a, 4c, 11c or whatever) and room # did you get? 4A
#4. Are you happy with your assignment or do you feel like you got a "leftover"- undesirable room/location? Absolutely delighted!
#5. If you booked more than one room, are they close together? 2 Rooms - Connecting.
#6. How many days before departure date did you book? 14

VGT for the second half of a B2B. Surprising my family with the B2B. Cannot wait to see their faces. :)

#1. Did you book a IGT, OGT or VGT room, and on which ship? VGT Disney Dream
#3. What category (ex: 7a, 4c, 11c or whatever) and room # did you get? 4B Deck 8 Starboard
#4. Are you happy with your assignment or do you feel like you got a "leftover"- undesirable room/location? Very pleased. :banana: Looks like it will be a quiet location
#5. If you booked more than one room, are they close together?

#6. How many days before departure date did you book? 67

#1. Did you book a IGT, OGT or VGT room, and on which ship? IGT Disney Dream
#3. What category (ex: 7a, 4c, 11c or whatever) and room # did you get? 11A, Deck 8
#4. Are you happy with your assignment or do you feel like you got a "leftover"- undesirable room/location? What? No concierge for free!? J/K, don't care at all.

#6. How many days before departure date did you book? 60+

#1. Did you book a IGT, OGT or VGT room, and on which ship? VGT, Dream
#2. How many days before the cruise were you assigned your room? 10
#3. What category (ex: 7a, 4c, 11c or whatever) and room # did you get? 4B, 8102 & 8104
#4. Are you happy with your assignment or do you feel like you got a "leftover"- undesirable room/location? Definitely happy with it - Deck 8 mid-ship.
#5. If you booked more than one room, are they close together? Yes - it appears that they are connecting.
#6. How many days before departure date did you book? 19

#1. Did you book a IGT, OGT or VGT room, and on which ship?
VGT Dream

#2. How many days before the cruise were you assigned your room?

3. What category (ex: 7a, 4c, 11c or whatever) and room # did you get?
4C deck 7 midship

#4. Are you happy with your assignment or do you feel like you got a "leftover"- undesirable room/location?
Thrilled!

5. If you booked more than one room, are they close together?
NA

6. How many days before departure date did you book?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter