• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Letterman to ABC?

mattjs

Mouseketeer
From Drudge Report (2/28 -- 22:55):

"NEW YORK TIMES television big Bill Carter is reporting in Friday runs that ABC has made a strong bid to lure David Letterman from CBS in a move that would displace Ted Koppel and the 'Nightline' franchise..."

--------------------------------

And here's a little more just added (2/28 -- 23:44):

"Executives involved in the negotiations tell Carter that CBS has been unsuccessful in renewing Letterman's contract during an exclusive negotiation period that ended last month:

'CBS tried to strong-arm him and alienated him and everybody else on his side,' said one executive involved in the talks. MORE///"

Disney and Leterman are seriously considering a deal that would bring him over to ABC. It's no secret that letterman has been unhappy with the lead-ins on CBS, a problem that he feels has suppressed ratings for his show for some time. If he does sign with ABC, Nightline with Ted Koppel would be cancelled. While Nightline has greater ratings than Letterman, Letterman does have a stronger viewership of younger viewers(25-35) which translates into greater ad revenues, most of which are targeted at this group. This would be a way for Disney to increase ad revenues for the network, which we know has been a major problem for them.

Losing Nightline gets a big
thumbdown.gif

from me. Although Letterman could be a pick me up.

ABC wanted Letterman even before CBS got him, but Nightline was always the problem (at least that's what they told me when I worked at a CBS affliate). Now with Politically Incorrect seemingly not being renewed, the window might be open a lot more. That, and add the fact that Disney is desparate for anything these days. I think it would be a good move for ABC, however it would be a lot of work. The main reason Letterman is not beating Leno in the ratings is not because of inferior show or talent, but rather the lead in. NBC has a stronger line up, and that has frustrated Letterman. He may find the same frustration at ABC.

Between this and Madden, ABC has been making some big moves. Hopefully they'll make programming adjustments to go along with it.

I think that letterman would be a great additon for ABC. I know that I will be watching him on ABC if he does go there. NOw they just need to work on their primtime televison and ABC will be set!

Have any of you been watching ABC lately? Starting Monday the big primetime changes and additions start rolling out (everyone's doing the mid-season shuffle then). Dharma and Greg are coming back, at least for this last season, two new sitcoms are starting up-- one with a Hispanic lead (in addition to the strong family comedy formula of My Wife and Kids ), and the highest-rated show of the summer, Wayne Brady's fresh turn on the old variety show formula. Wayne did so well that NBC is trying the same formula (a little too similar for my taste) with Colin "can't-read-a-cue-card" Quinn... I wonder who's going to last longer? (not really...)
Plus there's the highest rated Sunday night lineup with Alias and The Practice (Sunday is the biggest TV night, isn't it?)

This is all very exciting!

I wonder why they wouldnt consider shuffling time slots to keep Nightline and gain Letterman...I am sure there is some way to pull it off.

Although I doubt it will happen, I'm trying to imagine what it would be like to have Letterman work for Disney. Perhaps Disney will promote "Late Show with David Letterman" in the parks the same way they now promote Reggis and the Millionaire show.

There could be a "Late Show with David Letterman....PLAY IT!" attraction at Disney/MGM Studios. Some kind of recreation of the "Late Show" studio with park guests taking turns sitting next to a CM Dave Letterman.

A couple times a year, the real "Late Show" could come down to Orlando and broadcast shows from the park.

Maybe a rubberhead "Dave Letterman" walking around the park, greeting guests and attending character meals.

Perhaps you forget that Dave once had a presence in the parks. Back in 1989, Disney and NBC were chummy (remember all the Touchstone TV shows and Disney specials?) I think it had something to do with GE's sponsorship of Horizons. Anyhow, Letterman was the host of the Monster Sound Show at MGM and Johnny Carson was featured in SuperStar TV (later, Jay Leno was featured similarly in the first incarnation of Innoventions). So a presence in the parks is not unheard of.

...this is interesting. I have always heard that Disney/ABC likes the ratings of "Politically Incorrect", BUT the occasional backlash in the media is something they have been looking to drop (Bill Maher often gets himself in trouble from some of the things he says). Are we sure Letterman wouldn't take over this timespot?

Actually, ‘Nightline’ pulls in higher ratings than either Leno or Letterman does – but the demographics are older and so the ad rates are much, much lower. This is all about revenue, not rating points.

Rumors around Castle ABC are that no one in Disney management told anyone at ABC News about this idea. Mr. Koppel apparently heard about it from some New York print reporters. He is rather nonplussed. One way or the other, ‘Nightline’ is gone from ABC. The question is now how much of ABC News will be leaving too. It’s been no secret that Disney talked to CNN about selling ABC News, so nerves were bad already. This little ploy is the last straw for many insiders.

Mr. Koppel just published his side of the story: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A38325-2002Mar4.html .

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter