Liberty of the Seas Report 12-24 through 1-31

ZellyB

DIS Veteran
I originally posted this in the runDisney forum which I post in frequently and know a lot of people, so this is maybe light on ship info and more on personal info, but thought it might be helpful. I'm happy to answer any questions you might have about the ship or the itinerary.

LIBERTY OF THE SEAS CHRISTMAS CRUISE!!
Christmas cruise 2017 by giseleb2, on Flickr
We had an amazing time, so here's a brief little rundown of the trip. Chris, my husband, and I along with our girls, Sophie and Paige, and my sister, Yvonne, left out on December 23rd for a long drive to Galveston. It's around an 11 hour drive from home, so we headed out around 7 AM. Car selfie

We'd gotten a dusting of snow and it was COLD, so we were especially happy to be headed south for some warmth.

The drive was uneventful and we spent the night just outside of Houston before getting up the next morning to drive on to Galveston. We got to the port around 10 AM or so and settled in before eventually boarding around noon. First things, first!

Cruise! by giseleb2, on Flickr

The ship was great. I loved the way the pool deck was laid out with 3 separate areas. One for little kiddos, one for all ages and one for adults. The hot tubs in the adult area were spectacular.

Around 1 PM we were told we could go to our cabins. Now, we'd been telling the girls all along that we still had two interior staterooms, so when they walked into our actual cabin, Paige's first remark was, "Wait! It's just one cabin??" I was about to get irritated and then she saw the windows! They were very excited as were we. The cabin was amazing and the views out the front just insane. We had a Family Panoramic Ocean View stateroom. It's up on the 12th floor. We were in cabin 1854. There is only one other family room like this on the ship.

The girls had a little bunk room

We had that great king size bed and then my sis was in the couch which converted to a single.

That wooden thing in the middle was the TV console and the TV would swivel between each side of the room, which was great, but we had problems with it. It kept rattling when the engine was sort of low and thrumming. WE had to eventually call maintenance to try and tighten it up. I think there is definitely a design problem there they need to fix. Other than that, it was the only problem with the room. Otherwise it was great. Spacious with lots of closet space and then 1 1/2 baths came in very handy. We LOVED it!!

We could see down to the helipad and people could see us if we were at the windows. We exchanged some waves there. We eventually found our way to the helipad to see our room from there and Paige ran back up there to give us a wave.

We had 3 ports of call. Cozumel where we went to Mr. Sanchos beach club.

Grand Cayman for snorkeling.

Jamaica for ziplining! I was so worried I would hate this since I have issues with heights, but it was actually a blast!

Our only complaint was that the food in the dining room was pretty disappointing. I would definitely say we had better food on Carnival two years ago. I wasn't very happy. We did pay for lunch one day at Johnny Rockets.

And on our last night we ate at the Chops Grille. Pricey, but delicious.

And, of course, loads of soft serve ice cream!

And quite a bit of pizza!

The ship itself was beautiful. I loved it and we also enjoyed the two man inner tube slide. It was awesome. We sat several mornings early in those great hot tubs enjoying a cup of coffee while the ship was quiet and also spent some time in the steam rooms in the spa. Glorious!

The girls played some mini-golf, which was right above our stateroom. WE could hear when someone knocked a golf ball over the rail of the course and it would roll along the deck. HA!

We also loved having our stateroom to just sit and play games and look at the big blue ocean!

I just wish I could wake up to this sight every day from my bed.

So, that's about it. I highly recommend the ship and if you can ever splurge to do it, one of those panorama view rooms is incredible.

We are headed off tomorrow for a trip to Disney to run the Dopey challenge, but I'd be happy to answer any questions I can about Galveston port, Liberty of the Seas, our stateroom or our ports of call. Hope you find the information helpful.

Sounds like you had a great time!

For context, did you stay on the north side or south side of Houston (it's a huge city)? And how long was your drive from hotel to port?

We stayed on the south side so it was only about 30-40 minutes to the port. We stayed near NASA.

Thanks for the report- we have a similar style room- I do not think we have the little bunkbeds. Thanks for the info and pictures. We are doing a different itinerary but you've helped the next 2 week wait....

edit- spelling

I know this is an older post but glad to hear good things about Liberty! We sail her next year. I'm a little skeptical because she'll be getting a refurb a couple months later but hoping for the best!

Awesome stateroom. Looks like you guys had an awesome time. We sailed her again in March and had a lot of fun as well.

Roatan:
Zip & Dip option
Lunch from Totally Taco on West Bay Beach
http://www.boddentours.com/

Belize:
Shark/Ray Alley Snorkeling
https://www.coralbreezetours.com/

Cozumel:
https://www.paradise-beach-cozumel.com/

Love your video. Looks like a fantastic trip!

I know this is an older post but glad to hear good things about Liberty! We sail her next year. I'm a little skeptical because she'll be getting a refurb a couple months later but hoping for the best!

We felt like the ship was in really great shape even if a bit older. I loved the way the pool areas were laid out on the ship and can't say enough good things about those adult only hot tubs!

We sailed on the Liberty of the Seas last year too in July and both my daughter and I LOVED it! It was our first RCI cruise and we enjoyed the ship so much. I was a little worried about the condition of the ship too, but we had no complaints.

Looks like this is an old post but wow...what an amazing stateroom. Beautiful views!
Liberty looks like a great ship.

Looks like this is an old post but wow...what an amazing stateroom. Beautiful views!
Liberty looks like a great ship.

The stateroom was fantastic...but also a huge splurge. Of course, now it's ruined us for standard staterooms going forward. :rotfl:

A question while we're all here... does anyone know if Liberty has Dr. Pepper or Mr. Pibb? The important questions...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter