Life After Marathons: A Running/barre3/Coffee/Life Journal

Life Interlude:

I just got off the phone with a recruiter at a major tech company (who had reached out to me yesterday to schedule a chat). They have a strict experience requirement for the role she's recruiting for, and I don't have that amount of experience, so no dice.
One the one hand, it's cool that a recruiter for a major tech company found me and thought I was impressive enough that she wanted to have a conversation.
On the other hand ... sigh. I just want a job already. I've gotten to the point where I'll take a job from a company that doesn't have cold brew on tap. That's right, I'm dropping my #1 requirement.
Sigh.

End Life Interlude.

Race Attire: I'd go with most comfortable given the circumstances.

Maybe see if I can get near the Phillies parking lot to take picture of medal with Citizen Bank Park
Landmark medal photos in major cities are always awesome.

Life Interlude: Hopefully things pick up soon in that department.

Good luck with the race!

I’m trying to decide if I want to really kick it up a notch for that last 0.25 miles. We’ll see how I feel.

First rule of the Broad Street Run, it's crowded. The last .25 miles unfortunately going to be packed as it's a bottleneck point, so if you're feeling good maybe kick up the pace right when you see the navy yard sign and then wind it back down. Also, give yourself a bit of extra buffer with the bus in the morning, as the race is a local favorite and there will be a lot of people trying to get to the start.

I’m also planning to slow to a walk (/occasionally safely stop?) to take pictures. This course goes through a lot of areas where I’ve never been before and I think/hope there will be a lot to see, so I’m excited to see how often the picture-taking urge strikes.
:thumbsup2

Regarding life interludes, job hunting always sucks, but hang in there. The right one will come along!

Race Attire: I'd go with most comfortable given the circumstances.

Good insight. Thanks! The two outfits I brought are both comfortable for most weather, but I have to think about which is most comfortable for rain...

Landmark medal photos in major cities are always awesome.

Yes! I actually kinda really want to spend a few hours wandering through Philly to get pictures of the medals with things we pass on the course, but I don't know that I'll have time for it.

Life Interlude: Hopefully things pick up soon in that department.

Thanks!

Good luck with the race!

Thank you!

First rule of the Broad Street Run, it's crowded. The last .25 miles unfortunately going to be packed as it's a bottleneck point, so if you're feeling good maybe kick up the pace right when you see the navy yard sign and then wind it back down. Also, give yourself a bit of extra buffer with the bus in the morning, as the race is a local favorite and there will be a lot of people trying to get to the start.

Thanks for the insight! I'll adjust my mental plan accordingly and expect to have to slow down a bit once I get into the navy yard.

In terms of the bus, the bus only runs once an hour (sigh...), so my options are either this bus or Uber. I'll have to figure out which is a better option.

Regarding life interludes, job hunting always sucks, but hang in there. The right one will come along!

Thanks. I know the right opportunity is out there, I'm just getting impatient :).

Yes! I actually kinda really want to spend a few hours wandering through Philly to get pictures of the medals with things we pass on the course, but I don't know that I'll have time for it.
I really love getting post race medal photos either in the Disney parks. It took me many years to learn how to get some cool ones, but now I enjoy it a lot. And it always seems that time runs out or you think of that really cool medal photo after it's too late to get said photo. If time is an issue, maybe focus on certain things iconic to Philadelphia or the course. Or maybe just what you feel like getting a picture of after the race.

Short update:

1:49:32.
While my official goal was 1:55, the goal I had in my head was 1:50, and I got that.
I had 1:45 as my reach goal, so I was okay with seeing it disappear. I think that if I had made that my primary goal, I would have pushed myself harder and I would have made it.
Either way, I'm happy with how I did.
Although I do kinda regret my post-race beverage choice. I went beer and it was drinkable, but not my favorite. I should have gone hard seltzer.

Overall, it was very wet but a good race. I'm glad I did it, but I don't know if I'd do it again.

Also, note to self: Next time I see a guy with a beard in a Cards hat at the side of the road during a race, go over to him and ask where his wife is. Right, @jennamfeo?

Broad Street Run Recap Part One: In Which Sarah Gets The Free Things

47766587191_57158bbc6c_c.jpg

So ... the expo. I got on the train, got charged more for my ticket than I thought I would (long story), and eventually got off the train. And then had no idea what to do. I saw signs for the convention center, but they took me to some Neurology-related thing, so ... I walked out of the station and then used Google Maps and eventually found the right place. So there was that.

46977496214_82a9019586_c.jpg

Once I got to the expo, I found bib pickup and grabbed my bib, bag check bag (with race guide), and t-shirt (apparently this was the first year they were doing tech shirts for everyone - in past years they were t-shirts and you could pay to upgrade to a tech shirt). Shirts were unisex, which I didn’t realize when I ordered, but it still seems to fit okay.

Next stop was through the Broad Street history area, then into the official merchandise tent. I looked through a little, but it was super crowded. I saw a jacket that I kinda liked, but wasn’t ready to pull the trigger on yet, so I figured I’d come back later and see if maybe it was less crowded and decide then if I wanted it (spoiler alert: I forgot. I also forgot to look for it in the post-race merchandise tent. And it doesn’t seem to be available online. Sigh.)

Anyway…
Then I was off to some of the major sponsors. First was Independence Blue Cross, the title sponsor. They had an area where you could spin a wheel to win a prize (I got a pin), they were giving out bandanas, and if you took a picture with their background and posted it on social media using their hashtag (#FearlessFit), you got a fanny pack. Here is my picture:
46977495734_dfba56e316_c.jpg

(No idea what I’m gonna do with the fanny pack)

Next I stopped off at the NBC10 table, where I got a poncho (and also a buff, I think … something that looks like that’s what it’s supposed to be). They had other stuff, too, but I was mostly there for the poncho. There was rain in the forecast, after all.

Next up I started walking through the vendor booths. First up was the local running store, who had a lot of stuff on sale, including shoes (but nothing I needed). I considered getting the Brooks Ghost, since I’m looking at maybe trying those after I retire my 880s, but I’d rather get those somewhere where I can return them. I also looked for a light throwaway jacket for the race, because rain, but didn’t see anything I liked.

After a bit I kind of needed more coffee, so I went over to the Dunkin’ booth. There was another wheel spinning situation, and I won a gift card (which I gave to Beth). I also got a sample of their Butter Pecan iced coffee, which I told them is my favorite of their coffees (I later remembered that that’s not true - I just had their new Blueberry Crisp Iced Latte and that’s my new favorite).

Once I was caffeinated, I went off to do some more browsing. There was a Brooks booth with some good discounts, and I decided to get a pair of the Levitate 2 (my marathon (and current “anything 8+ miles”) shoe), but they didn’t have it in my size.

I also stopped to wait in a very long line, and at the end of that I got some papers, a beer coozy, a buff … and a can of 26.2 Brew. I was hoping they would be doing tastings, but they apparently weren’t set up for that yet (I later learned that they did tastings later in the expo), so they were just giving out cans. Okay. I'll take it.

40800394473_51902acbe0_c.jpg

I also stopped at the Atlantic City marathon booth, because why not. They were telling me about this cool 5K they have coming up, which runs on the boardwalk and ends at a bar on the beach. Sounds fun. Alas, I think it’s on a Saturday. I did sign up for their mailing list and got a shirt from last year’s race (which is actually a pretty good shirt).

I walked around a bit more, but didn’t see anything I wanted, so I headed out. I had another errand to run, so I spent a little more time in Center City and got this fun picture:
40822123813_6c4444667f_c.jpg

And then I ran my other errand, then took the train back to Beth's. She was home when I got there, so I showed her my haul, and then went back to my normal Friday life.

Coming Soon: Part 2 - Race Day

Congrats on the race -- and all the free stuff! That's the best!

Thanks!
I was actually telling my sister later that day that I think I could have gotten more free stuff. This was a good expo for grabbing free useless crap.

Congrats on the race and the great time, especially in less than ideal conditions.

Thank you! I'm really happy with my time, especially considering the stupid rain.

So bummed that I didn't see you, but so funny that you saw and recognized my husband! Hahahaha.

I really should have said something to him. It would have been totally awkward, but he probably also could have told me where you were, so ...
Next time you'll just have to ruin the surprise and tell me where you are so that I know where to look.

1:49:32.
While my official goal was 1:55, the goal I had in my head was 1:50, and I got that.
Yea!!! *Insert best Kermit the Frog going crazy waving his hands here* gif

Although I do kinda regret my post-race beverage choice. I went beer and it was drinkable, but not my favorite. I should have gone hard seltzer.
I don't drink alcohol, but I never know what I'm going to want to drink after a race. Sometimes I'm happy with cold water, sometimes I actually want a cold sports drink.

I saw a jacket that I kinda liked, but wasn’t ready to pull the trigger on yet, so I figured I’d come back later and see if maybe it was less crowded and decide then if I wanted it (spoiler alert: I forgot.
Speaking for myself, if I forget to go back and check on anything I might have wanted at a race expo, it usually means that I didn't really want that item in the first place. But maybe that's because I spend too much money especially at a Star Wars race expo.

Yea!!! *Insert best Kermit the Frog going crazy waving his hands here* gif

giphy.gif

Thank you!!

I don't drink alcohol, but I never know what I'm going to want to drink after a race. Sometimes I'm happy with cold water, sometimes I actually want a cold sports drink.

I'm pretty predictable ... I always just want coffee after a race (well, this race I just wanted coffee during the race...)

Speaking for myself, if I forget to go back and check on anything I might have wanted at a race expo, it usually means that I didn't really want that item in the first place. But maybe that's because I spend too much money especially at a Star Wars race expo.

Good call. I liked the jacket, but I could live without it, and if I had really wanted it, I probably would have either gotten it then or remembered to go back.

Congratulations on the race. I did Broad Street as well.

Thanks!
I thought I remembered you mentioning that you were doing it. I hope you had a good race despite the weather!

Broad Street Run Recap Part Two: #Rain :(

So … race day. It was raining. #NotAFan
I got up, got dressed, tried to get ready without waking Beth up … and didn’t have time for coffee. So I made coffee to go, called an Uber, and Beth waited for the Uber with me (and walked with me to the car when the driver couldn’t find her parking lot and just ended up in the train station parking lot … whatever).
At this point I was wearing a tank top, my Minnie Mouse (short sleeves) shirt, a long sleeve throwaway shirt, capris, a polka dot skirt, and a poncho.

I had a chatty Uber driver, but honestly, whatever. It’s fine. I can talk about races all day. She dropped me off close to the start area, and I wandered around trying to find the gear check buses (there were no signs or anything). I finally found buses, picked a bus, and gave them my bag check bag.

40825328473_72941419db_c.jpg

I considered heading over to the high school athletic field to try to find @Novatrix, but I kinda just wanted to find something shelter-like and huddle there (I was huddling under a tree, which actually kept me less wet). Eventually I made my way over to the corrals, which were labelled, but the only thing separating corrals was a two volunteers holding their version of the famous runDisney tape, so it really wasn’t so easy to see where the corrals started and ended. And there were multiple ways to get into the corrals (I walked into yellow through the back of gray, which I’ve never done before). And nobody was checking to make sure people were in the right corral. I was a little surprised at how disorganized the corrals seemed.

You’d think a race that’s been going on for 40 years would be a little better at the logistics. That baffled me a bit. Although … the finish line was worse. But we’ll get to that.

Anyway … back to the story. So I’m chilling in the corral, and there’s a guy in front of me wearing what looks like a Disney shirt and a woman a few rows behind me using a runDisney mylar blanket as a poncho, but I don’t talk to people, so I just take comfort in knowing that there are more of “my people” around.
And then the woman in the runDisney mylar blanket poncho comes over to me.
“Is your name Sarah?” Yes…
“Are you on the DISBoards?” Yes…
It was @MommaoffherRocker! It was great to meet her and chat for a bit before the race. Having someone to talk to always makes the wait for the start a little easier. I'm so glad she came over to say hi!

At some point in time the race had started (not that I know when, since there was no announcement or loudspeaker and I really had no idea what was going on in front of me … seriously :(). Eventually they walked our corral up to the start line (we ditched our ponchos at some point along the way and I ate my gel), and according to Garmin, I started the race at 8:37 AM.

I know that I tend to start races too fast, so I started this one with the intention of going at a “comfortable” pace for a little bit. With the course being pretty much straight with minimal turning, I figured my GPS would actually be close to accurate for a change. My first few miles were in the 10:25-10:35 range, which is pretty much where I wanted to be, so I was in good shape. I sped up a bit in mile 3, but then slowed down in miles 4 and 5 because I was stopping to take some pictures. Pace was still pretty good, and I felt good. I was considering ditching my top layer, but I kept getting cold again, so I ended up keeping it on the whole time.

47739355922_df171a6e5b_c.jpg

40825328593_880066a862_c.jpg

This course is almost entirely straight - except around City Hall, where it turns twice (because Broad St goes through City Hall, and apparently they don’t want us doing that, so we have to go around). This is at around mile 5.5 on the course … and something weird happened. I got my mile 6 alert. Um … what? Apparently my GPS had a nutty near City Hall and added half a mile. I knew that the distance was fairly accurate until there (it's hard to add too much distance just going straight), so I just mentally subtracted 0.5 miles going forward. I couldn’t trust the pace anymore (since for races I do average pace, not current pace), so I decided to just check my time at the mile markers and see if I was still below the time that would correspond to an 11 min/mile pace.

47739357022_8ef8177bf7_c.jpg

32848155787_4c126ee956_c.jpg

While the Center City parts of the course were interesting (I particularly liked seeing the Temple University marching band out), I found a decent amount of the course to be kinda boring. It was a lot of houses and stores … the same kind of stuff I can see running around here (well, here it’s apartment buildings, but by my parents its houses). There were people out cheering, which was nice, but I’m someone who enjoys the view more than the people, so it didn’t really do too much for me.

46875206865_b74c3fc20f_c.jpg

32848156417_1b00414eee_c.jpg
[/url]

32848156567_fd926527b7_c.jpg

Somewhere towards the end of the race, I want to say near mile 8, I saw a guy with a long beard wearing a Cards hat. I was pretty sure it was @jennamfeo’s husband … and Jenna had told me that she was going to be out cheering (I ruined my own surprise by seeing her Philly pictures on Insta on Friday and then asking her about it). But I didn’t see Jenna, and instead of asking her husband where she was (spoiler alert: apparently she was there, but on the median, where I didn’t think to look), I just texted her on my next walk break. So that was a stupid move because it meant I missed seeing Jenna and getting encouragement from her on the course (I was also hoping that maybe she had coffee for me, because I desperately needed some caffeine, but I figured that wasn’t likely).

47002462664_5b723f653c_c.jpg

33914637368_3a4404c897_c.jpg

Anyway … somewhere around the mile 8 or 9 marker I saw that I was at risk of losing my sub-11 min/mi finish, so I decided to push myself a bit. It felt like running my 10 mi pace during training. Which made me realize that I had been trying to work off of the race excitement for too long and I probably could have started pushing myself earlier. But whatever. I saw the entrance to the Navy Yard up ahead, and after slowing to a walk to take a picture, I tried to stick to the same pushing pace, and I was mostly able to do it. When I saw the finish line, I glanced at my watch and saw that sub-1:50 was doable but not definite, so I started sprinting like a bat out of hell (so much weaving around people) and crossed the finish line with my watch showing a sub-1:50 time. Yay!

Official Time: 1:49:32

47002464554_ebb91d211f_c.jpg

… And then I promptly wound up in a wall of people (I had seen it from the other side of the finish line). Not sure if this is normal for this race or if it was just that something got messed up, but there was a slow moving wall of people just past the finish line. I joined the masses and eventually made my way to the food tent, where I got a bottle of water, a banana, a TastyKake cookie bar, and a bag of pretzels. Then I had to deal with more masses to get a medal. Next stop was the gear check area, where I had to find the bus with my gear. The buses were not in any particular order. But eventually I found my bus and got my stuff. Oh, and I got my heatsheet from a roll on the ground, with no staff or volunteers around to give them out.

47739359432_778b8d6091_c.jpg

Really … I was not impressed with the logistics and organization at this race. Sigh. It’s not like they’ve been doing this for 40 years.

Anyway … at some point in time Jenna had texted me saying that she was going to come to the finish area, but then she told me that they wouldn’t let her in ( :( ), which was very sad. Especially because I’m pretty sure friends and family were supposed to be allowed in the finish area and I think I saw other people who looked like they hadn’t just run the race, so … yeah.

Back to the story. I got some coffee (and a gift card) from the Dunkin’ booth, and then made my way to a “shuttle” (aka school bus) to the after party at FDR park. This bus ride was way longer than I want to be on a bus right after a race.

Eventually the bus dropped us off, and then there was the walk to the party. And it had started raining harder at this point in time. I was wet (still hadn’t gotten a chance to change into my dry clothing) and just not a fan. Once I got to the beer garden area, someone checked my bib to make sure I was over 21, then stamped my hand (the stamp washed off very quickly). I went to the area where they were giving out the free drinks, gave them my ticket, and asked for a beer. They were selling drinks for $5, so I figured I’d just buy a hard seltzer after. It was still raining, so I went to hang out in the tent where they had cornhole (and were selling drinks). I drank my beer, which was drinkable but not great, but I had a hard time finishing it, mostly because I had to pee. There were some portapotties set up, so once I finished my beer, I took the biggest risk ever and went to a portapotty, where I changed into my dry clothing and relieved myself.

47002464914_cd17407589_c.jpg

I went back to the tent intending to get a seltzer, but I felt kinda awkward being there by myself just drinking, so I left and made my way to the subway. And now I want to buy the seltzer in a store somewhere just to try it. We’ll see if I decide to pick up an individual can somewhere or get a variety pack or just never end up trying it.

tl;dr - The after party probably would have been more fun if I hadn’t been solo.

I took the Broad Street Line subway (which was free) to the regional rail ($4 to go one stop!), then walked to Beth (like 10 feet … she’s right by the train station). And then I took a shower and had hot chocolate and soup and all was right with the world again.

The end.

Anyway … this was mostly a good race. I definitely recommend it, especially if you’re someone who really feeds off of the crowds and the spectators.

But I don’t feel compelled to go back and do it again. Once was enough for me.

Stay tuned for what's next ... I'm still figuring a few things out about how I plan to handle summer running (if at all). I haven't run since the race, but did my first barre3 class today.

Last edited:
Great recap of the race. And agreed the finish line logistics should have been a lot better.

An interesting thing about the turn at City Hall, for the first couple years of the race the course actually did go straight through the courtyard of City Hall.

Great recap of the race. And agreed the finish line logistics should have been a lot better.

Thanks! I was definitely disappointed in the mess at the finish line. Sigh.

An interesting thing about the turn at City Hall, for the first couple years of the race the course actually did go straight through the courtyard of City Hall.

Cool! I'd imagine that's hard to do with the size the race is now, since I don't remember that courtyard area being particularly big (although I've only been in there once, I think), but that was probably really cool.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter