Life long Disney fan, yet never been to Disneyland

KellyHonos

DisneyDivaxo
I feel like such a fake fan for going to World 6 times, yet never being to land not even ONCE! It's my goal to make it there within the next few years...what are some of your reasons to choose land over world?

I feel like such a fake fan for going to World 6 times, yet never being to land not even ONCE! It's my goal to make it there within the next few years...what are some of your reasons to choose land over world?
IMO both WDW and DLR are awesome places filled with Disney magic. But they are far from being identical.
  • DL park is the best of all the Disney parks IMO. Better than MK. It has a charm about it that is hard to put into words.
  • DLR tends to have better shows than WDW for some reason, but WDW is making some progress catching up. World of Color is the best Disney show. Period. Fantasmic is better at DL than at DHS. The Frozen stage show at DCA is better than any of the WDW stage shows.
  • DLR has almost as many rides in its two parks than WDW's four parks put together. In other words it has a higher ride concentration.
  • You can spend more time in the parks because they tend to have longer hours and you do not need to waste time on transportation. You can stay within a 5-10 minute walk of the parks. No buses. No boats. Easier to take breaks. More sleep.
  • The weather is better for most of the year. I like WDW better in the Spring, but other than that I will take DLR weather. Especially in the summer.
  • DLR is smaller of course and a 4 day trip is sufficient - 3 days would be minimum. But there are lots more cool and unique things to do in Southern Cal as well as Northern California/Nevada/Arizona altogether than in Florida. So you can take some extra time in the area and make a nice longer vacation out of it.
Here is some reading material for you: "A DLR Guide for WDW Vets" www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1162599

:wizard:

1. I am an alphabet book kid from the 60s so it is in my psychological DNA that I picked up from the black and white TV on Sunday nights.
2. Live on the West Coast so budgeting is easier.
3. Familiarity, like my mom's potato salad, coleslaw and spaghetti sauce....there is no substitute.
4. Phobia against traveling to the unfamiliar though this is probably onset from being a senior citizen

5...but here is the kicker, in the early 80s I was a journalist in NYC and the opportunity to take a roommate to WDW was available, he had never been to either Disney park so I was telling him about what the experience would be, especially arriving, the Matterhorn looming, the parking lot, the intimacy of the arrival (not knowing that a cookie cutter was not used at WDW) and how it would envelop him. So disappointed in the initial parking process, I was psychology hit about the arrival.... and that I have no memory of that day at WDW, I can remember every detail of EPCOT, but nothing about WDW. And from what I see on TV, I will never return.

6. as for "fake fan"....I live in Oregon, have been to 90% of the geological details that make the state unique to the other 49....but I have never been to Crater Lake. When I tell folks that fact about myself, there jaws drop open....to the top of Mt. Hood, Columbia Gorge, PCT trail...and never been to CRater Lake.....well, it is so far out of the way between point A to point X, that I have never visited....nor have I visited the Grand Canyon....and to my family that is a real shocker. But yet I am not a "fake Fan" of Oregon or hiking or out of the ordinary natural beauty. It just has not happened and really have no intention to visit Crater Lake or GC, sure they are photos on the bulletin board....but I also have a Roy Batty bulletin board....and that has made the Robert Frost difference.

IMO both WDW and DLR are awesome places filled with Disney magic. But they are far from being identical.
  • DL park is the best of all the Disney parks IMO. Better than MK. It has a charm about it that is hard to put into words.
  • DLR tends to have better shows than WDW for some reason, but WDW is making some progress catching up. World of Color is the best Disney show. Period. Fantasmic is better at DL than at DHS. The Frozen stage show at DCA is better than any of the WDW stage shows.
  • DLR has almost as many rides in its two parks than WDW's four parks put together. In other words it has a higher ride concentration.
  • You can spend more time in the parks because they tend to have longer hours and you do not need to waste time on transportation. You can stay within a 5-10 minute walk of the parks. No buses. No boats. Easier to take breaks. More sleep.
  • The weather is better for most of the year. I like WDW better in the Spring, but other than that I will take DLR weather. Especially in the summer.
  • DLR is smaller of course and a 4 day trip is sufficient - 3 days would be minimum. But there are lots more cool and unique things to do in Southern Cal as well as Northern California/Nevada/Arizona altogether than in Florida. So you can take some extra time in the area and make a nice longer vacation out of it.
Here is some reading material for you: "A DLR Guide for WDW Vets" www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1162599

:wizard:
Wow, this is actually really helpful! Very interesting. When I finally make it there in 4-5 years, I'll have to keep some of these comparisons in mind!

1. I am an alphabet book kid from the 60s so it is in my psychological DNA that I picked up from the black and white TV on Sunday nights.
2. Live on the West Coast so budgeting is easier.
3. Familiarity, like my mom's potato salad, coleslaw and spaghetti sauce....there is no substitute.
4. Phobia against traveling to the unfamiliar though this is probably onset from being a senior citizen

5...but here is the kicker, in the early 80s I was a journalist in NYC and the opportunity to take a roommate to WDW was available, he had never been to either Disney park so I was telling him about what the experience would be, especially arriving, the Matterhorn looming, the parking lot, the intimacy of the arrival (not knowing that a cookie cutter was not used at WDW) and how it would envelop him. So disappointed in the initial parking process, I was psychology hit about the arrival.... and that I have no memory of that day at WDW, I can remember every detail of EPCOT, but nothing about WDW. And from what I see on TV, I will never return.

6. as for "fake fan"....I live in Oregon, have been to 90% of the geological details that make the state unique to the other 49....but I have never been to Crater Lake. When I tell folks that fact about myself, there jaws drop open....to the top of Mt. Hood, Columbia Gorge, PCT trail...and never been to CRater Lake.....well, it is so far out of the way between point A to point X, that I have never visited....nor have I visited the Grand Canyon....and to my family that is a real shocker. But yet I am not a "fake Fan" of Oregon or hiking or out of the ordinary natural beauty. It just has not happened and really have no intention to visit Crater Lake or GC, sure they are photos on the bulletin board....but I also have a Roy Batty bulletin board....and that has made the Robert Frost difference.
Lol, your last bit makes me feel better. Yeah, I guess WDW has just been more accessible. I'm from MI, so flying to Florida is quicker and more affordable. I also appreciate that WDW has a dining plan, so even though you pay for it, it feels like less of an expense eating out versus paying for everything OOP. I also appreciate that there are more affordable hotel options that are on property for WDW. I was looking at prices for DLR and the cheapest I found was $400 something per night....*sigh*. However, I'd pay it in a heart beat cause I want to go and experience it. Who knows, maybe it will be my new normal. WDW will always have a place in my heart purely because it has that same feeling that your mom's potato salad has. It's just what I know and I adore it. I grew up going there. But I definitely must make it to DLR....

We go to WDW every few years. It's been 9 years since I was last at DL and going back this weekend!!! We also go to WDW more often because coming from Chicago, flights are generally shorter and cheaper. We found an awesome deal on flights for our Jan. trip to Cali though, and with that paired with the ticket special going on right now we decided to surprise the kids with this DL trip at Christmas. I love how walkable DL is. The two parks are right across from each other, and there are numerous offsite restaurants and hotels walking distance. It makes it much easier to plan a budget trip. One of my complaints about WDW is how much time you spend traveling, this isn't an issue with DL. My youngest is a huge McQueen fan so I'm so excited for him to experience Cars land, something WDW doesn't have. That wasn't built yet the last time we were there. (And he wasn't born yet, lol.) I also love that DL is the park Walt designed himself and spent time in. So much history.

Last edited:
Money. Living in CA, in an area where cheap flights are not an option, DLR is a lot cheaper than FL.

Fwiw yes, you should check out DLR at some point. Since you have a long time frame give it a couple years so you can see Marvel Land in DCA! FL will get a GOTG ride but that’s it
Marvel wise. DLR will get all the good stuff due to licensing rights east of the Mississippi that give The Dark Side most of the Marvel rights in FL ;)

I haven't been to WDW since I was a young kid, although I'm hoping to visit at some point. But the reason why me (and my parents) choose DL over WDW is:
1. It's closer. I live in LA now, but grew up in Las Vegas. We always stayed with family in SoCal, so my parents only really had to pay for parking, tickets, and food.
2. It's familiar. My mom is an LA native, and grew up coming to DL. So she knows the park very well. Come to think of it, we never really used the map because she knew how to find everything. Same with my aunt and grandparents.
3. The weather is much nicer in SoCal. Even if a heat wave would hit Anaheim, we were fine since we lived in Las Vegas and could handle 100+ degrees. When we went to WDW it was in June, and my dad still complains about how hot and humid it was.

I haven't been to WDW since I was a young kid, although I'm hoping to visit at some point. But the reason why me (and my parents) choose DL over WDW is:
1. It's closer. I live in LA now, but grew up in Las Vegas. We always stayed with family in SoCal, so my parents only really had to pay for parking, tickets, and food.
2. It's familiar. My mom is an LA native, and grew up coming to DL. So she knows the park very well. Come to think of it, we never really used the map because she knew how to find everything. Same with my aunt and grandparents.
3. The weather is much nicer in SoCal. Even if a heat wave would hit Anaheim, we were fine since we lived in Las Vegas and could handle 100+ degrees. When we went to WDW it was in June, and my dad still complains about how hot and humid it was.
Yeah, the humidity is NO JOKE. That's why I refuse to go in the summer ever again.

Born and raised on the East Coast but never visited any Disney Parks until I moved to Northern CA in 1990. Went at least 2 dozen times until i moved back to NY in 2005. When my son was old enough that it was time to bring him to Disney for the first time i didn't even consider WDW. I consider DL my home park and WDW scares the Spit out of me. Especially when i found out that DL can fit in a parking lot of WDW? holy crow Batman!

Returning to DL next month on a whim. Maybe i will try WDW one day but I would need to go wit someone experienced and put my life in their hands!! LOL

It's worth the visit and so magical to think that Walt walked where we do now.pixiedust:

Disneyland and California Adventure are literally right across from each other. You can see both while you are in the esplanade and Dowtown Disney is also in that bubble. I also second the fact that while smaller in acreage, Disneyland is much more jam packed with rides.

Born and raised on the East Coast but never visited any Disney Parks until I moved to Northern CA in 1990. Went at least 2 dozen times until i moved back to NY in 2005. When my son was old enough that it was time to bring him to Disney for the first time i didn't even consider WDW. I consider DL my home park and WDW scares the Spit out of me. Especially when i found out that DL can fit in a parking lot of WDW? holy crow Batman!

Returning to DL next month on a whim. Maybe i will try WDW one day but I would need to go wit someone experienced and put my life in their hands!! LOL

It's worth the visit and so magical to think that Walt walked where we do now.pixiedust:
I totally agree about the walt aspect. That is the draw for me. Just knowing he had his hands on that park is pure magic. However, i do reccomend World, just once. I think you'd like it :)

We honestly went to DLR rather than WDW just because we live further west than east now. Growing up on the east coast in Canada, if anyone went to "Disney" it was for sure WDW - as why would anyone fly all the way across the country? However, we are in Calgary so it's closer for us to go to Disneyland. Now though, since we are so used to how easy it is to stay off site at Disneyland, we are hesitant to go to WDW as we have read about how much planning is involved with fast passes and how you even have to take transportation from onsite hotels. Still someday we might do it, my DH has been there before and there is a lot of other things to do in Orlando. But for now my DD is very happy to be returning to Disneyland as she claims WDW will never have the magic that DLR has since it's Walt's park.

I have been to both Disney World and Disneyland now and I LOVE Disneyland. I have been going to WDW since I was younger and I love it too, but Disneyland has a special place in my heart now.

I feel like it really is "Walt's Park" and I felt really emotional being there.

Last edited:
We have friends who are Disney fans whose "home" parks are all over the world, e.g. WDW, Tokyo Disney, DLP, etc. And we tell all of them that they should visit DLR at least once to see Walt's original park, his original dream, the park that started it all. All the other Disney parks grew out of Walt's original dream -- so it's fun for our friends to see the origin of what's become so familiar to them back on their home territory. And what's so funny is that all of the ones who thought they were making a "one and done" trip for the sake of history, have now made more than one trip because they fell in love with Walt's park!
Our WDW friends still love their home park, but when I asked them for reasons why they choose DLR trips, they said:
1. In summer, DLR hands down -- the humidity here is NOTHING!
2. Park hopping is NOTHING!
3. FP/MP is the bomb!
4. CS food is so fun and tastes better at DLR.
5. In'N'Out -- okay, not a Disney reason, but for ex-Californians, it's a big reason!
6. Walkability -- 2 parks close together (more like one big park), rides and attractions close together, hotels close and walkable -- much more freedom to come and go as you please, when you please.

There were other reasons, but these were the ones mentioned by everyone I asked.

We have friends who are Disney fans whose "home" parks are all over the world, e.g. WDW, Tokyo Disney, DLP, etc. And we tell all of them that they should visit DLR at least once to see Walt's original park, his original dream, the park that started it all. All the other Disney parks grew out of Walt's original dream -- so it's fun for our friends to see the origin of what's become so familiar to them back on their home territory. And what's so funny is that all of the ones who thought they were making a "one and done" trip for the sake of history, have now made more than one trip because they fell in love with Walt's park!
Our WDW friends still love their home park, but when I asked them for reasons why they choose DLR trips, they said:
1. In summer, DLR hands down -- the humidity here is NOTHING!
2. Park hopping is NOTHING!
3. FP/MP is the bomb!
4. CS food is so fun and tastes better at DLR.
5. In'N'Out -- okay, not a Disney reason, but for ex-Californians, it's a big reason!
6. Walkability -- 2 parks close together (more like one big park), rides and attractions close together, hotels close and walkable -- much more freedom to come and go as you please, when you please.

There were other reasons, but these were the ones mentioned by everyone I asked.

Those are all enticing reasons. The humidity in Florida is unbearable to me in the summer months. I went one year for NYE, which as you can guess, the crowds were crazy, but the weather was so nice. I really enjoyed the climate at that time. Having parks closer together like at DLR is definitely a nice perk.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter