• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Life vest idea for a specail needs child

Tonka's Skipper

DIS Veteran
I was this on the DCL forum. I have often read here how some of your parents /grandparent with kids/grandkids who get scared nervious in strange suroundings and with noise and are looking for help. The person below. SMMAST, had this idea on how to get a child use to the idea of wearing a life vest and the noise of the muster drill.

It a really neat idea and I thought I would pass it on!

Two years ago we travelled with our special needs nephew, who panics with loud noise and crowds, unless he is prepared. About three weeks before the cruise i went to a local marine shop and purchased a life vest for him. We then, together with him, he was 5 at the time, watching videos on YouTube of the DCL muster drills. The videos had sound as well, and he would put the jacket on voluntarily while watching the video. We did this a few times prior to the cruise. When the time came he handled it great, at that time we were still wearing the jackets to the drill. Just my two cents worth.
:wizard:

I hope it helps!:)

AKK

I was on the Fantasy in October and we did not have to wear our vests during the drill (or even take them to the drill). Our meeting location was in the theater.

Not sure about other cruise lines - they may still require passengers to put them on. At any rate.... it's good advice.

To the original poster-- What a great idea. :)

To anyone with little ones: We always hope we are near should our kids need us but incase that would not come to be, I would make sure when ever my child heard that sound they knew to get their life vest one. Practice makes perfect. Incase of a real emergency we tend to forget the easiest of thoughts-- even forgetting phone numbers we dial all the time. I even called 411 and not 911 when I thought my husband had a heart attack. Thank goodness I was wrong but I learned when stressed our minds can do funny things.

So again -- practice practice practice. A reminder do a fire drill every month to 6 weeks with kids so it becomes natural should there be a fire.

Qiute honestly!.you have specail needs child......one who maybe very upset or worse yet.......throw a fit and your worried about whether you have to wear a life vest to the Muster drill?

I just pray there is never a emergency at sea and your fighting with the terrorifed child to put the thing on!

Frankly you should have located and practiced putting it on in or cabin! This idea may very well make that much less of a problem.

You know after the concordia sank and lost 30 lives I am amazed people still think its a good idea not the wear them to the drills or at least practice in the cabins!

I suggest to read about the Cocordia.

AKK

To the original poster-- What a great idea. :)

To anyone with little ones: We always hope we are near should our kids need us but incase that would not come to be, I would make sure when ever my child heard that sound they knew to get their life vest one. Practice makes perfect. Incase of a real emergency we tend to forget the easiest of thoughts-- even forgetting phone numbers we dial all the time. I even called 411 and not 911 when I thought my husband had a heart attack. Thank goodness I was wrong but I learned when stressed our minds can do funny things.

So again -- practice practice practice. A reminder do a fire drill every month to 6 weeks with kids so it becomes natural should there be a fire.

excellent advise!:yay::yay::yay:

AKK

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter