• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Lifespan of Magic Bands

Mcert01

Mouseketeer
Does anyone know the lifespan of Magic Bands? We purchased bands for the trip we just had to cancel. We are rebooking for next April. I recall the originals were said to last 2 years, but that was a long time ago now.

Thanks for the help!

My memory maker can attest that the band from our Aug '17 trip in a magic keeper keychain thingy was still active for ride photos in Feb '19 when I accidentally lost it on 7DMT. That was hundreds of photos I had to delete of complete strangers, but it did help lost and found narrow it down and get it back to me.

Still supposed to be about 2 years for long range sensors (IE those on the rides). The short range sensors (tap stands and payment locations) should work indefinitely.
Any good way of testing the long range capability without missing ride photos?

Any good way of testing the long range capability without missing ride photos?

If you have new and old, bring both on the ride. Like you have old, spouse/friend/family whatever have new, and as long as you're in the same ride vehicle, you can share the same photon case it doesn't work.

We bought MB we liked October 2019 - we are supposed to go to WDW November 2020

DH had a heart attack years ago and is in good shape.
DW is active and has diabetes type 2 and only on Metformin pills . We are in our 60's
So we do not want to be near the COVID-19 until there is a vaccine, which may not be developed until late 2020 or early 2021.

If we go to WDW May 2021 .... our unused magic bands will be almost 19 months old.

Should we just buy new magic bands Spring of 2021 ?

DW is active and has diabetes type 2 and only on Metformin pills . We are in our 60's
So we do not want to be near the COVID-19 until there is a vaccine, which may not be developed until late 2020 or early 2021.

If we go to WDW May 2021 .... our unused magic bands will be almost 19 months old.

Remember, you can always reuse the band portion of your bands. The centre 'fob' can be swapped between bands. So, if you end up needing to get new bands, you can pick the 'free' ones that come with a room package, and swap them into the bands that you like.

Last edited:

In reality, your Magic Bands will be older than 19 months old - possibly much older - as you have no way of knowing exactly when those bands were manufactured, or how long they sat on a shelf before you purchased them.

Not that it really matters though. ANY Magic Band (unless it's damaged in some way) will work indefinitely for all the functions that really matter. Any function that requires you to tap the band to a physical Mickey head will work just fine; opening your room, entering a park, using a FP, charging to your room, using dining credits, etc. The ONLY thing that could possibly not work is having some ride photos attach to your account, as more and more of these use the short range transponder in the band which is powered by a battery in the band. Disney says the average lifespan of the batteries is about 3 years. Anecdotal evidence seems to validate that with folks reporting anything from 2 to 4 years. In all likelihood, your bands will be just fine in 2021, as they'll only be about 2 years old then.

But as @Kaadk said, the simple thing is to just get a new plain band in a color that coordinates with your favorite band and replace the pucks. That way you have the band design you like, but with refreshed electronics and battery. You can have multiple bands and they can all be used interchangeably.

Steve

It depends what you will be using them for.
If its just park admission and purchasing, the old MB will be fine.
If onride photos are important, the old bands may or may not work. I would get new ones. No way to test them that I know of except to see that you have no onride photos.
If you are staying onsite, you will automatically get free ones.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter