• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Lift off at Cape Canaveral 22/8/02

bobbobroberts

Earning My Ears
22nd August a shuttle takes off with ISS modules, (subject to delay of course.) Well worth a trip to the coast i think. Anyone seen one before ? Where from ?

NB There is a brit on the crew, its all in the nasa website, search for shuttle launches.

We saw the launch of the shuttle Endeavour in April 2001. I wrote to Nasa about 3 months before, to request free car passes to park on the Nasa Causeway which is about 6 miles away from the launch pad across the river. There are details about this in Simon Veness's book "A Brit's Guide to Orlando". The address to write to is: NASA Visitor Services
Mail Code : PA-Pass
Kennedy Space Center
Florida 32899
USA

This was of course before Sept. 11th, so I hope they are still allowing people to go on the Causeway. It was a great experience! We parked on the grass near the river. There were tannoys where you could hear the countdown. There were also toilets and some refreshment booths, but we took our own picnic. There were loads of American families there and it was a good atmosphere. Everyone clapped and cheered when the shuttle lifted off! We then went to the Kennedy Visitors' complex, which was great, but everyone else had the same idea and it was packed.

Hope this helps.
Jinny

Oh blast (if you pardon the pun), that's another shuttle launch I will have missed by a few days. I think I'm destined never to see one :(

Regards

Rob

We watched a shuttle launch from Seaworlds car park in May 1998, It was amazing and I would immagine even better closer up, I would be grateful if anyone has any more details about where the best place to view is as DH would love this and we celebrate his 40th birthday during our trip in August and maybe we could have a picnic party somewhere and watch the launch!

This is good news as we are there then. The previous schedule only had a launch on the day we came home but this is right in the middle of our stay.

Ok then, what are the tips for the best places to view?

I am hopefully going to see the July launch, I have read somewhere that since Sept 11th they do not do the free car passes (think it was on their webpage) so I also need to know the best place to view.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter